Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #1

Long wait is over ...

I have been searching for my "S" for a long time and it all came together last week.

2001 S - Seal Grey with Graphite Grey interior and Black top. Nicely optioned with Design package, Sport Package, PSM, Litronic headlights, Heated Seats, Headlight washers ... and my favourite ... XRL 18"( 911 GT3) wheels!! 86,000 km (53,000 miles)

Full service records and books, original sticker of $86,182 plus luxury taxes at 12-17% would make it close to, or over $100,000 Canadian. I would have not wanted to be on the other side of the depreciation curve!

It breezed through the Porsche Dealer PPI ... needing a rad cap and front tires next year and slight weeping at plug seals. The GM at the Porsche dealer said we will buy it if you decide not too!

I ran the Vancouver Audi Club for over 5 years but have always wanted a 911 all my life ... until I drove a 986!!

Looking forward to contributing and making new friends!

Cheers,

Brian

FLAT64EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #2

Garage
Congrats and welcome to the forum! NICE Boxster! Looks like you found a gem, is it a manual or Tiptronic transmission?

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
I am my own mechanic....

Great looking 986! Those wheels look great!!!
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #4

Thanks - it is a 6sp. It had to be a 6sp for me!!

The wheels were a 2001 option for the Boxster S. I recently discovered they came standard issue on the GT3. I have not seen any others in my search with that wheel.

They are a two piece wheel ... i will get two refinished as the previous owner scraped the lips.

Last edited by FLAT64EVER; 09-14-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #5

Welcome to the club.
You have found an awesome looking example with nice options.

I see your first project.
Hint: Its orange
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:50 PM   #6
haz

Congrats! Previously a VAG man myself. Have you considered doing the IMS upgrade?
haz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:08 AM   #7

Wow! Beautiful!
bglz42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:24 AM   #8
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by haz View Post
Congrats! Previously a VAG man myself. Have you considered doing the IMS upgrade?
I think from here on out your response should be Do The IMS Upgrade!!!
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:50 AM   #9
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by haz View Post
Congratulations Brian on a great purchase. It looks like it is in great condition. Haz is right in suggesting IMS upgrade. The first thing I did on my 2001 Box base was have the IMS Guardian installed.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:22 AM   #10

Garage
In my opinion one of the best colors out there.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:30 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAT64EVER View Post
Thanks - it is a 6sp. It had to be a 6sp for me!!

The wheels were a 2001 option for the Boxster S. I recently discovered they came standard issue on the GT3. I have not seen any others in my search with that wheel.

They are a two piece wheel ... i will get two refinished as the previous owner scraped the lips.
They're 18 inch Sport Design wheels. My boxster came through with them also.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:49 AM   #12

Beautiful car Brian and welcome to the group. You will find it amusing and sometimes frustrating here but J. Dangers posts will keep you smiling when you are not driving you new find. Advantage!

AKL

QUOTE=FLAT64EVER;363268]I have been searching for my "S" for a long time and it all came together last week.

2001 S - Seal Grey with Graphite Grey interior and Black top. Nicely optioned with Design package, Sport Package, PSM, Litronic headlights, Heated Seats, Headlight washers ... and my favourite ... XRL 18"( 911 GT3) wheels!! 86,000 km (53,000 miles)

Full service records and books, original sticker of $86,182 plus luxury taxes at 12-17% would make it close to, or over $100,000 Canadian. I would have not wanted to be on the other side of the depreciation curve!

It breezed through the Porsche Dealer PPI ... needing a rad cap and front tires next year and slight weeping at plug seals. The GM at the Porsche dealer said we will buy it if you decide not too!

I ran the Vancouver Audi Club for over 5 years but have always wanted a 911 all my life ... until I drove a 986!!

Looking forward to contributing and making new friends!

Cheers,

Brian[/QUOTE]
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:30 AM   #13
Certified Boxster Addict

Welcome and great looking car. I have the same wheels on my 911 - they were optional on the 996's. The look great but are a PITA to clean!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:56 AM   #14

thanks everyone for your replies!

throughout my search to purchase, I was so concerned about IMS failure... none of the S's I saw had the update done, mine included.

Every tech I spoke with told me the same thing ... that they had not experienced a car with failure outside of the first few years of ownership.

I had all fluids replaced at an incredible indie Porsche shop i found and they told me the same thing. No need to replace?

I am sure I will stir up a hornets nest with that statement ... not what I am trying to do with my first post!

but i have heard the same from several indie shops on both side of the border. so i am undecided if I will replace in a 12+ year old engine. Didn't someone post on your engine number and percentage of failure rate?

flame suit on...
Old 09-15-2013, 06:58 AM   #15

oh and ya ... PITA to clean those Sport Design Wheels!
Old 09-15-2013, 07:24 AM   #16

Garage
Congrats on a very nice Boxster! Love your option list, patience pays off! I would swap those amber side markers for clear though. Simple and cheap. As far as the IMS goes, I plan to do mine soon along with the clutch. I have around 71K miles and the clutch feels good, but I figure it won't be a total waste to do it. In the mean time, I got the magnetic drain plug and just had an oil analysis which gave me a clean bill of health as far as any metal in the oil. Oh, and I keep the revs up I bought my 2001S after months of searching and figured the price of the IMS change into what I was willing to pay. Everyone has to come to terms with their choice when it comes to the IMS
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:54 AM   #17

Garage
Hey Brian, congrats on the new (to you) 'S'...you're going to love it, welcome!

Tons of very experienced folks here, always willing to share their opinions and help.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #18

VERY good looking Box in poss the best color IMO and knocked out wheels.Congrats!
litespeedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAT64EVER View Post
thanks everyone for your replies!

throughout my search to purchase, I was so concerned about IMS failure... none of the S's I saw had the update done, mine included.

Every tech I spoke with told me the same thing ... that they had not experienced a car with failure outside of the first few years of ownership.

I had all fluids replaced at an incredible indie Porsche shop i found and they told me the same thing. No need to replace?

I am sure I will stir up a hornets nest with that statement ... not what I am trying to do with my first post!

but i have heard the same from several indie shops on both side of the border. so i am undecided if I will replace in a 12+ year old engine. Didn't someone post on your engine number and percentage of failure rate?

flame suit on...
Its not so much the age of the car but the mileage that matters. Most cars well over the 60K mile mark are less likely to have the failure. The big thing for me in swapping out the IMS bearing is the simple thought that it is not worth the risk. I replaced my IMS in the first week of ownership. If the engine blows on you the cost of motor replacement may be more expensive then the cost of the car (depending on which route you take). My overall thought is that the couple of grand it cost is well worth the piece of mind. Although the failure rate is low, it just isn't worth it to roll the dice.

EDIT: Great looking car.

Billy Boat Muffler
ROW M030 Suspension
LNE IMSB
PorscheBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #20

Great looking car, love the color! Grey was my top choice until I stumbled into the wonderful world of Speed Yellow (it was in my price range).