Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2006, 01:37 PM   #1

Removing Stickers

What's the best way to remove a sticker from the rear trunk lid. Its the obligatory dealer logo and is a vinyl sticker?

I've heard that you can take a sponge soaked with ammonia and hold it on the sticker to soften the adhesive. Also, someone said there is a product called Goo B Gone or something like that. Supposedly these will not harm the paint or clearcoat.

Old 01-26-2006, 01:44 PM   #2
bmussatti

Good question! Whenever I have ordered a new car, I always put on the bill-of-sale "NO Stickers". A license plate frame is fine, those are easy to remove!

In the past, I have seen them removed by warming them with a hair dryer or heat gun. For obvious reason, you need to be careful with the latter.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:44 PM   #3

Had to do the same thing recently. What worked quickly and easily, no chemicals was a hair dryer. I turned it on the sticker for 10 secs and the sticker came right off. I then used a little was to remove the adhesive and was done. Total time: less than 1 minute.

AtlantaBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:54 PM   #4

sounds simple. I thought of a hair dryer. Was worried I'd just get part of the sticker off and then have a mess. thanks.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild1poet2
What's the best way to remove a sticker from the rear trunk lid. Its the obligatory dealer logo and is a vinyl sticker?

I've heard that you can take a sponge soaked with ammonia and hold it on the sticker to soften the adhesive. Also, someone said there is a product called Goo B Gone or something like that. Supposedly these will not harm the paint or clearcoat.
Hi,

FOR GOD'S SAKE... DO NOT USE AMMONIA! You will Cloud the Paint!

As suggested, a Hair Dryer would be good for a Vinyl Sticker and if there's any residual adhesive, use Denatured Alcohol (No Smoking!) and a soft Cloth. It should clean right up! Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:40 PM   #6

Is it fresh?

If it hasn't been on for a while, you could just peel it off with your fingers and be able to either rub what's left off or get it off with car wash soap. If it's been on there for a while, see posts above.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 07:49 PM   #7

Goo Gone - it works

"Goo Gone" is available at most chain auto parts stores and will do the trick without harming the paint or clearcoat. Wipe it on with a paper towel, wait a few minutes and the vinyl bits should slide off with very little effort. Remember to wash the spot and put some wax on it afterward.

TMM986 is offline   Reply With Quote