Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2006, 06:06 PM   #1

It comes in 3's (back tires)

Well, they say everything comes in 3's...After getting my car back for a week...I shredded the back tire on some metal in the road. I took the car to the tire shop and guess what...5-7 working days until they get the tires in. I ordered 265/40Z/R18 (Bridgestone Pontenza 0550A) and they said that size tire is in high demand? Does that sound right? Anyway, they had to ship them in from Austin. Even tire rack quoted me 4 days and gave me the Spanish Inquisition about whether these were my original tires. What is that all about?

My tire only had 9500 miles on it. Here is the question: I ordered two so I didn't have to go through this whole scenario again. Should I just change both of them or if I only put one on will there be a weird wear thing going on?

RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 06:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
Well, they say everything comes in 3's...After getting my car back for a week...I shredded the back tire on some metal in the road. I took the car to the tire shop and guess what...5-7 working days until they get the tires in. I ordered 265/40Z/R18 (Bridgestone Pontenza 0550A) and they said that size tire is in high demand? Does that sound right? Anyway, they had to ship them in from Austin. Even tire rack quoted me 4 days and gave me the Spanish Inquisition about whether these were my original tires. What is that all about?

My tire only had 9500 miles on it. Here is the question: I ordered two so I didn't have to go through this whole scenario again. Should I just change both of them or if I only put one on will there be a weird wear thing going on?
Hi,

Change them both, keep the Oddman as a spare... Sorry...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 07:08 PM   #3
bmussatti

Rail26, I am assuming the fronts are the same brand and make (Bridgestone Pontenza 0550A)...right? You should not mix tires. You can induce some harmonic imbalances if you do. So I have read...

Sorry about the misshap.

Last edited by bmussatti; 01-24-2006 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:05 AM   #4

One day, a long, long time from now, when you're tracking your GT, you'll think back to these tough days of boxster ownership and think, "Gee, I wish I had those problems now... they're nothing compared to what I'm paying to keep this GT on the road."
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 08:52 AM   #5

umm...aren't those unidirectional tires? Maybe not, as I'm sure you already considered this....

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 06:15 PM   #6

I bought two new Potenzas and put them on the rear. I kept the used (good tire) as a spare. By the way...the third happened today. For some reason, the 12v power jack in the passenger wheel well doesn't work. I think I blew it when I plugged in the air compressor to blow up the tire. Really annoying because that is where I plug in my radar detector.

By the way...any suggestion on where to buy the "tire goo" to replace the goo I used?

RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote