Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #1

Possibly the best seat restoration ever

This is NOT meant to be spam. I came upon this product while searching for furniture restoration ideas. I was intrigued so I watched the short video and thought I would share this link, possibly to save some members money on seat replacements.

The company takes a leather car seat that looks like mine did before I paid $$$ to replace them with new, and makes them look gorgeous! They claim this process lasts as long as new leather would and it is not just a cover-up that goes away in a month. I would have given this a try before I purchased my new seats if I would have found it first. If anyone has tried this, chime in.

Leather Colorant Kit

If I am not allowed to share this, will a moderator please remove this link.

jesseborgelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

I have had very good experience in using local auto upholstry shops who can typically re-cover an existing seat in new leather for a very reasonable/affordable price.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #3

I use 1Z Einszett plastic cleaner for the interior of the car with a 4" carpet scrubbing pad on a random orbit.

Finish with Aerospace 303 (if plastic) or a leather product (like 1Z's) if leather.

Cleaned the most disgusting car I've ever seen into something nearly as good as new.

The buffer cleans deep dirt in seconds.

/
Old 09-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #4

I have used Color Plus (:: Color Plus ::) products but not on a seat, I have only experience with using it on a shifter boot on a 993. I have heard from other guys who have indeed used it on seats and most say the results are incredible.

Now, to the point of how long does it last, I've read mostly good things from guys saying their seats looked good for years, a couple stated it wore of within 6 months.

From my experience, it is all in the preparation. You must go through all the steps of cleaning and moisturizing and then cleaning again and letting it completely dry. My first attempt started flaking within 6 months, I emailed Color Plus, bought their cleaner and soffener (their name) products and used them after stripping off the first attempt. The results were excellent and have held up for nearly a year.

I hated to spend the money but my 993 is a rare Light Grey color and finding a matching shifter boot proved impossible.

Original NIB 993 Shifter in Classic Grey:

Re Dyed to Marble Grey:

coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:44 AM   #5

Leather Colorant Kit

Thanks for posting. Good to know about this.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:50 PM   #6
Administrator

We're bumping this old thread because some of you here said you like to use Einszett. That brand has now been reborn as Nextzett, retaining their same products and lead chemist.

This week only, the entire Nextzett line of car care products is 10% off! This includes Perls Shampoo, Blitz Cleaner, Cockpit Premium, ColourTec Wheel Cleaner and the ultimate in rubber protection, Gummi Pflege! There are plenty of other products too, all designed to restore any surface on your vehicle to its original luster.

For 10% off, enter promo code NEXT10 at Step #4 during checkout where it says, "Have a Promo Code? Apply it now."

Shop Nextzett now or browse the rest of our car care products section!

Matt at Pelican Parts is offline   Reply With Quote