Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
Need For Speed

Garage
Who in Kansas City can do the IMS Retrofit?

I have not found any metal shaving in my oil.... yet, but I did find some rubber pieces stuck in the oil filter. I presume this is rubber from the ims seal?

So where in Kansas City could I get the LN IMS Retrofit done, looking for an indy shop as I would gather they would do the job cheaper then the one and only Porsche dealership in the area.

KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #2

I have been very happy with Karl at Rennsport KC. He's great to work with!
Black Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Stallion View Post
I have been very happy with Karl at Rennsport KC. He's great to work with!
Could they do this job properly?
Old 09-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Yeah...Aristocrat is not the place to go. Ridiculous charges and I got the distinct feeling that they were looking down their nose at me and my 986.

Sorry. Nothing useful to offer other than that I don't trust anyone around here to work on my car but me...maybe Renn?
Old 09-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Yeah...Aristocrat is not the place to go. Ridiculous charges and I got the distinct feeling that they were looking down their nose at me and my 986.

Sorry. Nothing useful to offer other than that I don't trust anyone around here to work on my car but me...maybe Renn?
The master of electronics I just sent Renn an email on the subject. Will post how they respond.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #6

Garage
Plus one on Aristocrat. I've not been impressed. I talked to a guy at Rennen a couple of years ago who sounded reasonable. Then there's always Bob Hindson Racing BHR Bob Hindson Racing, Inc. (No affiliation) I think he's an actual distributer for the LN bearing. Take and post pics of the rubber parts in your oil filter. It's probably leftover gasket material. I've had it before too.

Last edited by SeanZ4; 09-19-2013 at 01:54 PM.
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
Need For Speed

Garage
Does the LNE IMS Retrofit not include the DOF (direct oil feed)? I want to do this right. Also my car has the Tiptronic trans, so I would assume this will cost more for the job to be done.

I already discarded the rubber pieces. I have changed the oil twice now and both time found the rubber, but no metal.

Last edited by KRAM36; 09-19-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #8

Rennsport KC is very much a professional outfit. He works on all manner of Porsches, big into racing. Here is his website. RennsportKC | Specializing in Porsche & European Auto Services His blog is always very interesting.

I've also been to Bob Hindson Racing, and he was also quite good, if a bit expensive.

Last edited by Black Stallion; 09-19-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Black Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:27 AM   #9

Garage
The IMS replacement and DOF mod are two completely different jobs. The LN replacement is not sealed so as to receive oil for lubrication. Your car is a tip which are less likely (statistically) to have an IMS failure. What year? Also Black Stallion I thought BHR was a bit expensive too, but probably does good work!
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:36 AM   #10
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanZ4 View Post
The IMS replacement and DOF mod are two completely different jobs. The LN replacement is not sealed so as to receive oil for lubrication. Your car is a tip which are less likely (statistically) to have an IMS failure. What year? Also Black Stallion I thought BHR was a bit expensive too, but probably does good work!
I was going by what Pedro mentioned in this video about the oil spinning out of the LNE Retrofit bearing. It's a 2003 with 105k miles on it now.