Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #1

Attaching crest to wheel center caps...

my original crest fell off one of my center caps a year or so ago and I am just now getting around to fixing it. I was able to find a crest that is 99.9% the same size as the original but is probably just a bit larger as it is a pretty snug fit in the recess where the crest fits. It should work but I was wondering what is the best way to attach the crest so that it stay on this time. The crest came with what looks to be a double side tape (thin...not the thick spongy kind that is on emblems) but is that going to be enough to hold it on or should it be glued somehow...it appears the original crest was mounted with glue more than likely.

papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #2

Super glue or goop.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #3

I work with CA glue (super glue) a lot and my opinion is you should use 2-part 5 minute epoxy instead. It seems to hold up longer and adhere to more surfaces better than CA glue.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #4

I "temporarily" stuck a set in using the little pads for attaching mirrors to windscreens .
They where still in there 5 years later
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #5

I will probably give the epoxy a try....

I used a gel super glue last time I think and it only lasted a few months if that.
papasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #6

I used 3M adhesive from a top install. So far so good.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
Beginner

Garage
I use many types of glues in different applications. I just did mine and I used 2 part 5 minute epoxy. I would not have used any other glue.
Jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #8

Garage
I had a shield fall off earlier this summer. I did a ton of research and ended up choosing JB Weld epoxy. It was easy to apply and the shield is very secure now.
F1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:24 AM   #9
pjq

Before gluing the crest back on did you have to scrape/peel off the old glue?
One of mine just fell off. The old glue feels a little rubbery, like silicone but i can't peel it off my finger nail.
pjq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:00 AM   #10
Beginner

Garage
Both surfaces should be completely clean and dry. Remove any old adhesive. To promote adhesion you can lightly sand (150 grit or finer) the surfaces that will be in contact with the glue. Have some tape ready to hold the crest on after you install it to let the epoxy cure. Be very careful not to get epoxy where you don't want it. I spread a thin layer of epoxy in the center of the crest and pressed the crest down which worked well. You will have to judge how much to use so it does not squeeze out the sides. Also JB weld mentioned above is an excellent epoxy though it is gray where others are light amber to clear so any extra glue with JB weld may be more likely to show.

Jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote