Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #1

Variocam Work - Estimate of Labor Hours

On my 01S, I've been talking to several shops about replacing my variocam tensioner pads and camshaft timing chains. I have a good idea of the cost of the parts. The shop labor hour estimates range from 14 hours to 35 hours to do the job on both banks. So I have two questions?

Q1: Does anyone have a solid estimate of the labor hours involved in doing this work on b oth banks with the engine in the car?

Q2: Would you replace lifters at the same time?

Thanks

thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #2

I personally don't know, but will be paying attention to the thread as I have considered doing the same for my Boxster. I have one bank at 0 and the other at -6 (deviation). So expect somewhere along the way I'll need to tear down at least one bank. I do plan to do the work myself, however.

Do you plan to repalce your actuators and selinoids while you are in there? The actuator seems like a pretty expensive part, but from what I read, if you open the top (so to speak) it's best to replace it then rather than have to disassemble it again later and do it.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #3

ask them to break the labor hours down if you dont understand.
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #4

I'm going to roll the dice on replacing the variocam units themselves because 1) they seem to work ok and 2) I'm loath to add $2200 to the cost of the job.

If I was in a position to do the work myself and thus avoid the shop labor charge, I might consider it because its a break even deal or better.

thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote