Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
2004 Boxster S

WYIT... epic preventative maintenance... write up w/pics

While You're In There...

I had the joy of picking up my 2004 S in Germany in May this year and had a fantastic road trip through five countries in five days to my house in Spain. Something about being an expat, buying your first Porsche, and immediately getting on the autobahn with it is a feeling that is hard to describe. Separate road trip write up later. Anyway, I can tell you that "buying the best Boxster you can afford" seems to be great advice, worked for me, but either way its a very different bottom line in Europe then the USA. As in double the price you guys pay stateside. Still, could be worse, the car was less then half what it would have cost here in Norway. I wish I were joking!

I knew going into this that I would have to do the IMSB retrofit, so I scheduled the car to go in to my indi shop in August. Flawless work, they even detailed the car for free. And while I was in there... I went kinda bananas on the maintenance items. All told, here is the list:

Insaro double IMS bearing retrofit
OEM Clutch
OEM Flywheel
RMS
AOS
Front motor mount
Water pump
Serpentine belt
71C thermostat
Spin-on oil filter adapter
Magnetic drain plug
Spark plugs
Coolant tank and cap
Gbox 2nd gear detent
Cleaning of radiators

They were going to drop the sump for me as well, but the first bolt snapped off and had to be extracted and replaced. So we skipped the sump inspection. Oh well.

On to some pics:

The shop (TallerBox in Cartagena.) Fantastic service level, they made me feel like the most important customer ever. The place is so clean you could eat off the floor! Daily updates and pictures on the progress. Though mine was only one of two P-cars in that week, they have a steady stream of high-end rides. Being Spain, however, they also fix "regular" cars too.

Gearbox, clutch and flywheel out. No RMS leak, and apparently a small oil leak at the IMS bearing cover as evidenced by the clutch dust. Or so it looks.

The old clutch. Not bad actually, but no point in putting it back with 73.000kms on it. Flywheel was bad so it needed to be replaced.

IMS bearing out... no damage, no free play, both seals intact, full of relatively clean oil. As pristine as it could be. This is where most of you write "I'm glad I did it anyway" which annoys the hell out of me. I'm ecstatic that I replaced a perfect bearing and not one that had already started to barf metal bits into my engine!

Insaro double bearing before and installed. Now, I know many will ask "WTF retrofit is that?" and "Why not LNE or the Solution?" Good questions... I debated what to do but in the end I chose this setup. Why? the Insaro bearing is made in Spain where my car lives, so my indi shop is certified to install it and has done a pile of installs. Its a ceramic 2-stage bearing design with a 20mm center shaft and a secondary bearing inside the IMS that comes into temporary (last resort) use if the first one fails (I'm just as skeptcal as you, but I'm a risk taker.) It includes a 3-year warranty (Insaro will fix your engine if the bearing fails and causes a craptastrophe.) So all these things considered I went with what my shop was most experienced with.

EDIT: By the way, I forgot to post the camshaft deviation numbers before and after, both were completely stable with no variation :

Before, with stock IMSB: 1.31 and 2.6
After with retrofit IMSB: exactly the same :-)

I arrived after the work to a shiny clean car!

The car was great before, but I have peace of mind now, getting stranded in the middle of nowhere with limited Spanish skills and a grenaded engine is not something I wanted to experience.

All is well!

Last edited by evan9eleven; 09-22-2013 at 11:19 AM.
evan9eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #2

That place is huge!!!! And spotlessly clean.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #3

Wow , what a great write up! Awesome story. I bet the drive from Germany to Spain was amazing. Beautiful car sir!
Old 09-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #4

great post!
amazing looking S!!
FLAT64EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
2004 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
That place is huge!!!! And spotlessly clean.
Yup. They also have a spray booth and do every kind of detailing and paint work. I really like the place.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that you can also rent a bay and tools if you want to wrench on your own car there with a proper lift. Great concept!

Last edited by evan9eleven; 09-21-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
2004 Boxster S

Thanks guys. How about another pic then!

Old 09-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #7

NICE!

how about an pic or 2 of the interior!
FLAT64EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #8
haz

Så jævlig fett!!!

Congrats! Interior pics please
haz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #9

WOW! your IMSB replacement experience was the polar opposite of mine. Really. I'm very happy for you and your car looks mint!
Old 09-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #10
2004 Boxster S

This is the only one I've got handy at home, but here is the interior!

Last edited by evan9eleven; 09-22-2013 at 03:31 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #11
I am my own mechanic....

Great car. Spotless!!
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #12

NIce, very nice. Interesting bearing concept too.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #13

"Insaro double IMS bearing retrofit"

Wow what a blast from the past. Heard about Insaros ims fix a couple years back or so. Watch the video (in spanish) and everything on that. Haven't heard anything about it ever since the hostile interrogation of the person who started the thread had to go through. How has that been working out for you guys in Europe?
rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #14

Wait.... What year did the 986 have glove box?
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:09 AM   #15
2004 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp17 View Post
"Insaro double IMS bearing retrofit"

Wow what a blast from the past. Heard about Insaros ims fix a couple years back or so. Watch the video (in spanish) and everything on that. Haven't heard anything about it ever since the hostile interrogation of the person who started the thread had to go through. How has that been working out for you guys in Europe?

Yeah, I've read that thread. Nothing very kind was said there.

Insaro has been installing their bearing for about three years now I guess, only in Spain as far as I know. I emailed their engineer owner, Roberto, to ask some questions before I made a decision. Installs number in the hundreds but not thousands, presumably due to cost and a smaller market. So far they have pulled out 6 of their own bearings to inspect wear, all with good results except for an oil leak on the outer seal due to a poor installation. The highest mileage on one of their bearings is 72,500 km (about 45K miles.)

I also seriously considered the IMS Solution, and also emailed Jake with questions which he kindly and promptly answered. However, as this was my first time using the indi shop I felt most comfortable going with the kit they had experience with as opposed to an install billed as being more like "engine surgery." Now that I know the shop, I'm totally confident that they would have handled the Solution install with ease. So we'll see what I do next time.

By the way, I forgot to post the camshaft deviation numbers before and after, both were completely stable with no variation :

Before, with stock IMSB: 1.31 and 2.6
After with retrofit IMSB: exactly the same
Old 09-22-2013, 03:42 AM   #16
2004 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey T View Post
Wait.... What year did the 986 have glove box?
From 2003 with the facelift? Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:23 AM   #17

Wow, interior is super clean for the mileage... it's looks brand new.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:39 AM   #18

That seems to be a more legit IMSB replacement than what we see being sold in the State. That's just a better idea
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #19

Great car, congrats! You definitely went a bit beserk with the maintenance you've just did!
About the insaro, I know there are a couple of Porsches in Portugal with it too. But the price is steep, I think.
urban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:00 AM   #20
haz

evan9eleven: are you ever back in Norway? Itīd be cool to hook up one time. And why are you part timed in Spain?

haz is offline   Reply With Quote