Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2003, 11:20 PM   #1
Forum Member

Thinkin about purchase

Hi, I'm in the market for a Boxster (2004 model year), and I have been reading much about this car. Nothing matches the mechanical precision and refinement that goes into every car. I am almost sold on the car but I have a couple questions for everyone.

1. Should I spend my money on a well-equiped Boxster or a semi-well equiped Boxster S?

2. I read a dissapointing review on Car and Driver.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=6846&page_number=4

They complained about noise. My current car (2003 Hyundai Tiburon GTV6) makes noise. Every car makes some noise. Is this noise bad or is this just a bunch of whiny cry babys bagging on the $50K Mid-Rear cruiser.

3. How is the summer tire wear under semi-normal driving conditions (w/ occasional weekend fun )?

4. I like to do my own maintence. Is it hard to change plugs and such because of the mid layout?

5. 17" or 18" wheels?

6. What are the RPMs for 80 mph in top gear (manual)? Both boxsters if possible.

7. What fuel economy do you really get (city/road trip)?

8. Do you recomend the hard top for really long drives (i.e. GA to TX)?

Thanks for any input. I hope to see one of these 2004's on the lot in october.

boxsterbuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 03:41 AM   #2
Regional Moderator

1. Should I spend my money on a well-equiped Boxster or a semi-well equiped Boxster S?

No question at all--get the S! No one has ever, to my knowledge, bought an S and regreted it because they could have gotten more toys with a 2.7.

2. I read a dissapointing review on Car and Driver.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article...6&page_number=4

They complained about noise. My current car (2003 Hyundai Tiburon GTV6) makes noise. Every car makes some noise. Is this noise bad or is this just a bunch of whiny cry babys bagging on the $50K Mid-Rear cruiser.

Blah blah, yes they are cry babies. But I do agree with their points about interior room. I'm 6'1", and wish I had an extra inch or two to push/recline the seat. I did the GT3 console delete this year; that has improved things for me.

3. How is the summer tire wear under semi-normal driving conditions (w/ occasional weekend fun )?

I got 2 years out of my original tires...15K with a few AutoX and DE weekends.

4. I like to do my own maintence. Is it hard to change plugs and such because of the mid layout?

Don't know. Why are you thinking about this and buying a brand new car? (For that matter, do you realize you can save yourself $10K in depreciation by buying a used '03 with maybe 6,000 miles on it? That's what I would do in a heartbeart!)

5. 17" or 18" wheels?
How are your local roads? In Boston the 17" makes sense...18" is just too punishing for me. If I lived in California, sure, I'd get 18"

6. What are the RPMs for 80 mph in top gear (manual)? Both boxsters if possible.

7. What fuel economy do you really get (city/road trip)?

Usually 22-26 mpg.

8. Do you recomend the hard top for really long drives (i.e. GA to TX)?

It does quiet down the car from what I've heard. But it limits your options, too.

Thanks for any input. I hope to see one of these 2004's on the lot in october.

CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote