Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #1

Cracked Litronic lens - what choices

I know I should be happy to have litronic lights, but when there is a problem, the problems seem to multiply. I don't need to tell you, these things are expensive.

So, I acquired a 2001 S that has, among other things (see posting for sump pan in marketplace), a broken lens on the driver side litronic headlight. The most reasonable replacement i can find is approx $500. Now, I've never driven the car to be able to appreciate the litronic lights. So, since I'm not spoiled in that regard, I'm wondering what my options are.

1.) Can I replace just the lens on a litronic headlight?
2.) Can I sell the good light, passenger side, and switch both sides over to Halogen?
3.) Some other option I'm not thinking of?

What do you think?

Thanks,
Joe

Xcellr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:50 AM   #2

Keep the Litronics!

FWIW, I also have a 2001 S with Litronics, and I think they are one of the BEST features of the car. In good weather, I almost never feel the need to use the foglamps or hi-beams, the Litronics are that good. In bad weather (pouring rain, for instance), I might supplement them with the halogen foglamps, and the combination is so good that I can drive at least 10mph faster than other traffic in complete safety.

If I took a rock hit or something to one of them, no question, I would replace it with another Litronic.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:07 AM   #3

I just took my litronics apart and painted the inside black. Buy a halogen, take both lights apart and switch the lenses. Do a search for "Black headlights" for instructions on taking them apart.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #4

Bs

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
I just took my litronics apart and painted the inside black. Buy a halogen, take both lights apart and switch the lenses. Do a search for "Black headlights" for instructions on taking them apart.
You did what? Took perfectly good Litronic lights apart, painted them and then installed halogen bulbs? I'm sorry, but can we call "bulls**t" here? That is the dumbest modification I've ever heard of. Yes, you may have wanted black lights, that part I get. But the way you went about it, was the most expensive route you could have taken. You could have sold the litronics for big bucks, bought a set of Halogoen for cheap, painted those and still had enough to go to a track day.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #5

All kidding aside about tearing apart perfectly good litronics, are the halogen headlight units a direct replacement for litronics? The plugs are same? There aren't extra electronics that drive the litronic lights? I'm still trying to understand what my options are here.

Can the lenses be successfully replaced? Are new lenses availble? Is the lense on a litronic the same as the lense on a halogen?
Old 09-15-2013, 09:31 AM   #6

I think what he means is that he bought a cheaper halogen light to swap lenses. Lights can be heated enough to soften the adhesive so the lens can be removed.
MitchSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #7

I didn't buy halogen lights... I told Xcellr8 to buy them and use that lens on his litronics.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcellr8 View Post
You did what? Took perfectly good Litronic lights apart, painted them and then installed halogen bulbs? I'm sorry, but can we call "bulls**t" here? That is the dumbest modification I've ever heard of. Yes, you may have wanted black lights, that part I get. But the way you went about it, was the most expensive route you could have taken. You could have sold the litronics for big bucks, bought a set of Halogoen for cheap, painted those and still had enough to go to a track day.
Nice response from someone that was asking for help.

I did have a really useful suggestion, but now I think that I'll just keep it to myself. I wouldn't want to be berated for trying to help

Last edited by particlewave; 09-15-2013 at 05:12 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #9

My apologies

Oh, I see now, I thought you replaced your litronics with halogen. I thought that was crazy. But no, you were suggesting I buy the halogen just to get the lens for a replacement. Exactly. Sorry if I offended you.

Quote:
Old 09-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #10

My bad

Agree, it can be hard to help someone that doesn't appreciate it. I misread/misunderstood what was being suggested. I posted apologies and sent a PM with an apology. Flames deserved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Nice response from someone that was asking for help.

I did have a really useful suggestion, but now I think that I'll just keep it to myself. I wouldn't want to be berated for trying to help
Old 09-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #11

Worst case scenario you'll need to spend $ on a used halogen and nick the lens of it. No sweats. You can't claim your insurance for vandalism and get a NEW unit?!

The best DIY around imo for opening those is from blk986 @ http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/34106-diy-hid-projector-install-instructions.html
Old 09-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #12

Yup, I used blk986's instructions and popped mine right open.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:22 PM   #13
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcellr8 View Post
Agree, it can be hard to help someone that doesn't appreciate it. I misread/misunderstood what was being suggested. I posted apologies and sent a PM with an apology. Flames deserved.
Just giving you crap
Old 09-16-2013, 07:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Are you the one that posted the first pics of this mod? That's by far the best mod I have ever seen on this car. Totally transforms the look of the car. If they came stock like this from the Porsche parts counter I would have upgraded and sold my OEM pair.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote