Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
jakesbox

Wind screen or no wind screen

Got home from a spirited drive yesterday and before I put the top up, I had to move something in my garage. Got out of the car and noticed my plexi window wind screen had half way come out of its holder. I was probably one bump away from it completely flying off.

Wondering what the preference is for everyone. I don't know what it does, I don't have any hair so it doesn't help me in that aspect!

2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #2

Garage
The windscreen is a waste of time in my opinion. I sold mine off a long time ago. Along with the ridiculous speedster humps I might add.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
The windscreen is a waste of time in my opinion. I sold mine off a long time ago. Along with the ridiculous speedster humps I might add.
I have a set of the humps and have been considering selling. They are brand new but came with the car.
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
Old 09-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #4

No windscreen for me either...it is a convertible for crying out loud! Want the full wind effect in my hair! Oops...in your case op, you would want the full wind effect on your scalp. Lol!
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
I have a set of the humps and have been considering selling. They are brand new but came with the car.
My vehicle came from the factory with the speedster/hump kit also. Not only did I hate the way they looked, it was an absolute pain in the arse to install them. Just in the two or three times that I used them, it took all the patience and care that I could muster - not to scratch or ding the tonneau cover. Screw that !
Old 09-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
My vehicle came from the factory with the speedster/hump kit also. Not only did I hate the way they looked, it was an absolute pain in the arse to install them. Just in the two or three times that I used them, it took all the patience and care that I could muster - not to scratch or ding the tonneau cover. Screw that !
What is the heck is this speedster/hump kit???

Took my rear windscreen off.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #7

Replace the clips on the windscreen if you haven't. The plastic 'spring' deforms over time and doesn't hold them in as well. $4 each if I recall. I personally like having the windscreen for when the windows are up as it really helps isolate the passenger compartment from noise and wind at speed on the highway.
teleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:51 AM   #8
jakesbox

The humps look like this...
Old 09-12-2013, 05:04 AM   #9

Garage
Where else can I put my Porsche Decal?
I've drive without, I don't think it does anything wind blocking wise
It does provide a very nice rattle unless you put padding to stop it
I'm always afraid it will blow out. I'm toying with the idea of drilling 1 - 2 small holes to put a leash in it to keep it on board
Old 09-12-2013, 05:17 AM   #10

I've driven long periods of time with and without. My personal feeling is that with it, you can extend your topdown enjoyment into cooler weather and maintain a little climate control in the cockpit. This may be more pertainent when traveling with a woman passenger.

Besides, when is the last time you were rolling down the highway and wished for more turbulant air hitting the back of your head?
Wret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:31 AM   #11
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wret View Post
I've driven long periods of time with and without. My personal feeling is that with it, you can extend your topdown enjoyment into cooler weather and maintain a little climate control in the cockpit. This may be more pertainent when traveling with a woman passenger.

Besides, when is the last time you were rolling down the highway and wished for more turbulant air hitting the back of your head?
Without much hair - the wind feels great smacking the back of my head. I live in Florida where the top down weather is 10 months out of the year and dont drive the car in the evenings usually so I am not concerned with cooler temps but does make sense. The other 2 months our of the year are more top up windows down cruising so again no worries!
Old 09-12-2013, 05:37 AM   #12

Oh, and it makes smoking a cigar much easier.
Wret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:22 AM   #13

I use the screen. I think it significantly reduces turbulence in the cockpit and looks good on the car too. Mine is tight and doesn't rattle. I have taken the car up to about 200 kph with the top down and it has not come loose.

Putting a plexi insert inside the hoop screens also make a difference.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #14
Track rat

Garage
If you do a lot of top down highway driving it does keep the cockpit more comfortable. Especially true when temps are low. I used mine a lot for a few years but now prefer to just drive top up on the highway so the windstop was no longer used much.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #15

I won't get into a top down Porsche without a windscreen.

Mine has it, and during the test drive I was very pleased that it was more effective than past Porsche windscreens.

But then again, I (probably) have longer hair than you guys . . .
Old 09-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #16
soucorp

Garage
I've always had a clear windscreen on almost all of my cabrios... Z3, Z4, Boxster, even made my own windblocker for my 69 MG MKIII, but not the Ferrari.
Do they work, you betcha ! Never had a problem with rattles and they buffer out the wind from the back so you can hear your music or have a conversation.
Attached Images

Last edited by soucorp; 09-12-2013 at 09:58 AM.
soucorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche Chick View Post
I won't get into a top down Porsche without a windscreen.

Mine has it, and during the test drive I was very pleased that it was more effective than past Porsche windscreens.

But then again, I (probably) have longer hair than you guys . . .
If I want any chance of top down driving with my wife in the car, then the windscreen is a must.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #18

Mine did rattle, but then I ordered the new clips from Suncoast Porsche. New ones work great.
'05 Sportster
Brockmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
If I want any chance of top down driving with my wife in the car, then the windscreen is a must.
Y'know, I had to muster some serious self control to not make the predictable smart-a$$ reponse to this one...
Old 09-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #20
Certified Boxster Addict

Never used it. Its a convertible and I actually enjoy the wind.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote