Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #1

waranty

I have been offered a 4 year 48,000 km warrantee on a 2007 boxter that has 39,000km for $4000.The dealer is using the company SecureDrive & the coverage i s for the elite benefits. The deductible for each repair is $250 before the company pays anything. Can anyone tell me if they think this coverage is necessary & is not overpriced. Are there any better warranties out there? Aren't these cars very reliable or are repairs very expensive & mechanical problems frequent enough to justify the expense. This is my first Porsche& I have had Miatas before this car. Thanks for the help. I need to decide on the warranty in a few days. Bob

Hansis! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:16 AM   #2
recycledsixtie

Garage
The way I see it is that the insurance co. has done their due diligence and figure that they can makes $$$$ selling this kind of insurance. You best make sure you read the fine print of this kind of insurance. Just exactly what does it cover - ims fail, convert. top motor etc?

I bought my 2001 Box base 2 years ago and am spending about $1500 a year on expenses such as cv joints, idler arm etc. Nothing major yet. I have recently found another indy shop that I think will be cheaper and just as good. I have no extended warranty.

Extended private warranties can give you that warm fuzzy feeling but when it comes to claiming for repairs who knows what satisfaction you will get.

The ims in your later Boxster will likely be much improved over the higher risk one I have in my 2001 Boxster base. Only you can make the decision that is right for you.

I am gently looking at a used Cayman in the next year or so likely the same year as your Boxster. As the amount of $$$$ increases with a newer car, then you have more $$$$ on the table. Check Truedelta for reliability and repairs owners have done on their Boxsters in the different years. Also check the thread in this forum if you have not already done so - So you are thinking of buying a Boxster.
Research is your friend and can alleviate, diminish anxiety.

recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote