Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
Just a Swede

I got i leak, top needs to be aligned?

I have had problem with a leak on my passenger side for i while and after some investigation i found out i had two.
The first one was from the drip pan and that one is fixed.

When I'm driving in the rain i always got water on the floor on the passenger side.
And I'm pretty sure its because my top need to be aligned.
The question is how ?

Pics......
Driver side thats not leaking

And the right side thats leaking

Here you see that gap that needs to be closed.

Could this be done with the tension wire?
And shouldn't the gap on the driver side be a Little smaller to

smygolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:40 AM   #2

Ah interesting theory- anyone else attributed a leak to this?

Good luck & keep us posted with your findings mate.
Lboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:19 AM   #3

So it looks like you think the leak is attributed to a gap between two gaskets (or seals as Porsche calls them). You might be right. Perhaps the one of the gaskets has slipped in the grove it sits in. Others, who have replaced their tops, may be able to tell you the procedure to remove and re-insert the gasket into its channel. Or a convertible repair shop may tell you or be willing to do it with a few moments work. Not sure, but I hope this helps you make some progress. The shop manual makes it sound like something easy to do, but the manual is so cryptic that I can't say it is easy.

BTW: do you notice any moisture on the inside of the window when it rains or any other evidence that the water is getting in the spot where the gasket seems to have a gap. Its a long way for water to travel un-noticed to the passenger side floor.

Last edited by thom4782; 09-07-2013 at 06:21 AM.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
Just a Swede

@thom4782

When i drive in the rain the water that travels on the window travels more o less directly to the gap. And i have stuffed the sides and the bottom of the passenger side with paper to se what way i takes down on to the floor.
*pic is coming*

I also Think that the plastic parts are to far away from each other. Seems to me as Everything should be tighter
Old 09-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
Just a Swede

Ok,

All the way from where the seal ends, the water travels down

There is only moist in the marked area.

And from here it travels dom to the floor.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #6

You may have checked this already. Are you absolutely sure your rear drains aren't blocked? You can find a diagram here: https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/drainsdiagram

If you think you need to adjust the top, there are some pointers here: https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/installinga%2703-%2704glasstopandframeona%2797

I saw a show called Wheeler Dealers where they were dealing with a leak in an Aston Martin. They rented a smoke machine and they tracked the location where the smoke was escaping to identify the leak. However, I don't know how readily available a smoke machine is in your area.

Good luck.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 09-07-2013 at 12:47 PM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #7

Even if the drains are clear, the surrounding foam material can have a small tear that let's water in. With dry paper in place, try pouring a quart or two of water near the passenger side drain hole to see if the paper gets wet. If so, then you narrowed down the leak.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:34 PM   #8
Just a Swede

The Drains where cleaned when i fixed the drip pan
I can take a bucket of water an pour into the drip pan, no leaks what so ever.

Its only when i drive the car in rain it happens, and if water travels on the side of the passenger window.

When i see pics on other Boxsters the seals are closed and the black plastic pieces are closer together. Thats why my guess is that the seals is the problem, and on the passenger side there is a 5-6 mm gap.
But i don't know how, from what i understand theres only 2 adjustments on the top.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:24 AM   #9

I'm not sure I can help a lot more...but here are two more thoughts

If you disconnect the tension cables from their balls and close the top, do the frame pieces get closer together and close the gaps. If so, then the following picture shows how to adjust the cable tension

If that doesn't work, perhaps you can slide the B-pillar gasket in its track. I've never done it and I don't know if it can be done. The gasket costs a small fortune (over $600) so be really careful. Here's a picture that may help.

Perhaps someone who has replaced their top would know far better than me on how to help further.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #10
Just a Swede

@thom4782

That was what i was thinking of doing, but doesn't the Cable only effect the "B pillar"

I just had a Little brainstorm and id did a check off the alignment of the seals.
And the B pillar seal has moved!
So with a gentle touched i removed it, gave it a good Clean. When it was loose one could see that there is a bit o play.
So Before i remounted the seal i gave it a Little bit of oil.

No it sits Perfectly, but where is the rain?!
I also have a bunch of towels where the water traveled Before so with a Little bit of luck!!!!

Btw, Thanks Guys!

*edit*
i didn't loose the screws in the bottom.

Last edited by smygolf; 09-08-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #11
Just a Swede

*Update*

Its better but there´s still water coming in when i drive in the rain.

But this area is now dry so i did something good