Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #1

Garage
Renegade Motorsport Corvette engine in 986! WOW!

I just watched the video of the 986/Corvette engine hybrid car from Renegade Motorsport and all I can say is WOW! It seems like a viable option to those with engine failure. I know it would cost more than an average engine swap but with this kit the 986 is a beast! If you go to their web site, the kit will run about $4500 with everything you need (excluding the engine). I'm honestly surprised that you don't hear of more people doing this??? Am I missing something? What are your thoughts on this kit?

Meat Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Head View Post
I just watched the video of the 986/Corvette engine hybrid car from Renegade Motorsport and all I can say is WOW! It seems like a viable option to those with engine failure. I know it would cost more than an average engine swap but with this kit the 986 is a beast! If you go to their web site, the kit will run about $4500 with everything you need (excluding the engine). I'm honestly surprised that you don't hear of more people doing this??? Am I missing something? What are your thoughts on this kit?
- Requires that the donor car be an "S" with a 6 speed
- Requires cutting up the interior sheet metal around the engine cover (at least according to the pictures on their site)
- Requires modification to the engine bulkhead which may not let you move the seat all the say back according to their web site. No pictures of what sort of "modification" is needed, but sounds like cutting/welding.
- Requires electric power steering and electric water pump

These are just a few reasons why I don't think it will be very popular

Doesn't matter what anybody says, it will cost at least $15k to do any sort of engine conversion, and even more if you have to pay someone to do the install. There are a lot of small things that aren't mentioned/priced on their web site. Take it from somebody who has done a LOT of engine conversions in Porsches... it's not exactly "cheap". However, if you are willing to keep the car for a long time, you may see a pay-off in the way of cheaper parts, service, and possible engine replacement compared to the Porsche engine. The extra horsepower can be a motivator too.
kcpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #3

^ yep. I looked into myself so as to have my plan B options lined up should the engine expire.
Basically you have to look at it a little Differently. A GT3 transplant engine is not possible in the Boxster unless you spend more than actually buying a GT3. So if you want that level of power your either spending at least $17k for this conversion with a modest donor engine or you get one of those Raby engines. I don't think you can go wrong with either option if your stock engine went kaput and you wanted to keep the car on the road. Swapping in another Boxster or Carrera engine isn't really a performance game change.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #4

and what about the stock transaxle and driveshafts???
Is this combo the poorman's way to a Ferrari beater???
Old 09-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
and what about the stock transaxle and driveshafts???
Is this combo the poorman's way to a Ferrari beater???
the 6 speed axles = Carerra axles and CV's so there's really no problem there. Plenty of upgrade parts available if you need to.

The 6 speed I've personally used at 430whp in a race application and had no issues, but I had an oil cooler system, and NEVER did any clutch dumps with it. Spin the gears on the main shaft and you're done...
Old 09-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #6

I also looked into it. Steve at Renegade Motors told me to budget $30k. $30k!!! I can build 3 cars for that much.
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
Rennzenn

Garage
Nice way to never have to worry about the IMS issue
However, if you are planning to AX or race this beast, you'll be in a VERY hot class!
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #8

I looked into this concept years back. Not too sure the Tranny / transaxle could cope very well with nearly double or more the torque that a LS1, LS2, LS6 or LS7 could lay down vs. a 3.2 Box S motor. When I watched the videos (the ones available 2 plus years ago) they would gingerly roll into the throttle and IIRC the driver even suggested doing such, that was in a 996.

Cool hybrid, I just hope they don't pulp too many Getrag units.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #9

Or you could use a Subaru engine... just sayin' Seems like it fits a LOT better than a V8 and makes just enough power, but not too much... unless you want to
Old 09-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #10
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpaz View Post
Or you could use a Subaru engine... just sayin' Seems like it fits a LOT better than a V8 and makes just enough power, but not too much... unless you want to
If you offer up a kit...I am sure a few folks would jump at that...just saying
Old 09-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric G View Post
If you offer up a kit...I am sure a few folks would jump at that...just saying
It already exists, just haven't had time to market it.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #12

There's a lot more to a sports car engine than power. I wouldn't want the Chevy lump in my car at any price, personally. For me the flat six is a much nicer sports car engine than the Chevy V8.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpaz View Post

" Spin the gears on the main shaft and you're done...
"

kcpaz,
could you please elaborate more on your comment?
Thank you!

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
"

kcpaz,
could you please elaborate more on your comment?
Thank you!

http://www.californiamotorsports.net/986%20Boxster_files/image010.gif

No splines. This is why I'm not a huge fan of the idea of V8 torque with these transaxles.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:30 AM   #15

Garage
I was out at Rengage (Nevada, you can throw a rock from the strip to their shop!) two weeks ago to visit with Scott, the owner. I'm in CA, so it's not as straight forward a swap as for you in other states, but there is a good chance of getting an eRod engine (the 430 HP LS-3) to work AND pass smog. (BTW, i am meeting with a smog referee to discuss details in the next few weeks and will be happy to post updated for anyone interested).

Scott took me for a ride in his wifes Boxster S with an LS-2 that he says makes ~400 hp. I will tell you that it is a WHOLE different level. Absolutely amazing. Now, I have a '72 Pantera that makes over 570 hp, so I know a little about power. The Boxster felt more immediate with the LS-2, the power came on quickly and literally shot the car forward. He was doing a lot of steering and pedal modulation to keep it going straight, but that power was addictive.

I love my Boxster S because it is so well balanced. Great fun to AX and take on the track. But powering through corners just isn't an option with a stock engine. The LS-X swap gives you a completely different way to drive the car.

I'm not 100% this is something I'm going to do, but I have 115k miles on the engine and have NOT done the IMS. I do AX it and track it 4-5 times a year, so I am just looking at options for future...

Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote