Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #1

Opinions wanted on headlights

So I need some opinions. I'm going to crack open my headlights and paint the insides black like a couple of members on here have done. I'm thinking about changing the surround on my headlights to black like on the 981. I have photo shopped them to see how they might look.

heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #2

If you ask me you'd better off selling those litronic for a good $1,000 and get those aftermarket projector/led headlight for that same money. The black edition of those of course. No extra cost, no risks of cracking the lens, or paint flaking due to sun burns. Look at member Crono's car for visuals.

But if this is one of those thing that you look forward doing yourself (hobby) then I'd say do it, black in & out will look far better than the stockers indeed.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #3

I don't like the 2 rows of LEDs on the bottom of those or the DRL feature. I love the way Boxster7614's came out.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #4

Agree with you. Some also said the material and built looks cheap. I'm not a fan myself but some really like them.

If you want my advice, I'd just paint the inside of them matte black with 800degree high temp spray paint but leave the edge silver. That edge is what makes these headlights look 'expansive'. Not sure how to explain this in words Having a border/edge of black paint on the outside might make them look cheaper than the LED plastic ones - careful there.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Not sure about the black. Looks like eyeliner
I think that the gray color of the headlights blend well with your car. Painting the inner portions of the headlights, combined with projectors, looks best to me. I left my reflectors chrome because I like the way that it kind of defines the headlights and fog lights as separate structures and helps to break up the blob of the entire unit

Sorry for posting these pics for the 50th time

Last edited by particlewave; 09-02-2013 at 09:00 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #6

Particle, I actually have your pics saved as a guide. Had you considered painting the entire opaque part on the section on the left of the exploded view? Im considering that if i can get the corner piece apart to paint black also.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Not sure about the black. Looks like eyeliner
His idea of having the edge painted black is brilliant, but I think his Photoshop skills could be improved a lot - hence the eyeliner look. Could be nice only if the paint job is done with a airbrush ...... as in very thin coat.

Particlewave, you really should have painted the reflectors black man. That IS the main feature to paint black if you are looking for that sporty modern look. Besides with projectors they become rather useless anyway.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #8

Ya, my photoshop skills suck!! I need to paint the reflectors too? How will the reflect the light? Dont the reflectors serve a purpose?
Old 09-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #9
Custom User Title Here

Garage
You don't need the stock reflectors if you upgrade to projectors.
Edit: I see that have litronics...oops
I believe that the reflector serves some purpose in those. DRLs or low beams...can't remember.

I tried the all black look, but didn't like it. On white, it was a little too dark for me.

Oh, and the stock reflectors do serve a small purpose now as daytime running lights lit by very light green LEDs...bright white with just a hint of green
The LEDs are mounted to the rear of the projector facing back toward the reflector so that the whole thing glows. I'll get some pics eventually

Last edited by particlewave; 09-02-2013 at 09:48 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #10
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
Particle, I actually have your pics saved as a guide. Had you considered painting the entire opaque part on the section on the left of the exploded view? Im considering that if i can get the corner piece apart to paint black also.
I tried every combination I could think of using black construction paper to mask off different areas, mocking the headlight up in the car, and taking pictures. Unfortunately, the only picture that I saved is of the above setup.

Once you get your headlights apart, try playing with different combinations using black paper or tape
Old 09-02-2013, 09:36 PM   #11

fair enough particle

Looks as if heliguy will need to polish his Photoshop skills, draft a few combinations of both 100% black and the one like yours, and then decide.

Both would be equally good looking anyway. What can go wrong.... I mean look at the stockers for one sec!
Old 09-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #12

To share some ideas:

I am waiting for part numbers 986 631 131 14 & 986 631 132 14 which are those clear/deambered headlights. Should come in this week if the tracking# is not a fake.

I plan onto getting mine painted all black inside with a bi-xenon retrofit. The main built will be to CNC a projector shroud a-la Carerra GT style on my lathe and 4-axis cnc mill. Going for the exact same look as in the picture below, in thin/light aluminum (copy, bad me!). The whole assembly (custom GT shroud and projector) will be wrapped by a black plastic cylinder epoxy(ied) onto the reflector unit. This is to secure the light reflections and glares "inside" the assembly. I am trying to have one source of light and that is coming from the projector lens only.

Will share some built pictures and results in about two weeks if all goes well

Old 09-03-2013, 04:37 AM   #13

Ya, I dont know if I can photoshop all black. I had a hard enough time doing the trim and look how that turned out.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:54 AM   #14
Homeboy981

Garage
….and now for something completely different….

Old 09-03-2013, 05:23 AM   #15

Definitely got rid of the amber. How did you get that look?
Old 09-03-2013, 06:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post
….and now for something completely different….

sorry, but
Old 09-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #17

Mark T, while this picture did not elicit an emesis reflex for me, I did cringe. Silver might have been a better choice.
jesseborgelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #18

Try mocking one up with electrical tape (on the outside) and see how you like it.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #19

Good plan, Chick
Old 09-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #20

You asked for opinions? Here's mine. Stop trying to make your car look like a new model. Embrace its period appeal. It's better looking than a 981 already. Putting a black line around the headlights is not going to turn it into a 981. It's going to make it look like a car belonging to someone who really wants something newer.