Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #1

Garage
Sound System Upgrade

Fellow members, looking to upgrade my 2001 Boxster S with a new sick stereo system - looking for recommendations from people on what speakers and head deck to install. I want it to be simple enough that I can do it all on my own. Please include links to items, model #, prices, instructions etc.

Please & Thank you!

Thanks
DrCactus

DrCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #2

Garage
Note: I own a 2001 Boxster S - orient red
DrCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #3

Search is your friend. Topic has been discussed at length in this and other forums with lots of different opinions. You're facing two big issues in your quest for a sick system. The Boxster is a poor sound platform. No space for a true subwoofer. Good luck
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:27 PM   #4

I agree with you the sound system in this car is minimum. Maybe ok for other but not for me. I like loud music a lot. I am doing this sound upgrade at the moment and I will post pictures and info when done.
TAKART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:56 PM   #5

I installed this kit with a double din pioneer navi unit and a 4 channel audison amp (I think). I am happy with the results, albeit expensive, keeps it mostly OEM.

http://www.****************************************************.com/product/00004490042.html?Category_Code=986AUDIO

forgot to include the link. Added ^^^

Last edited by coolbreeze551; 09-01-2013 at 09:19 PM.
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #6

I started by adding rear speakers and upgrading the dash speakers. I later added a 6-channel amp. I have not yet upgraded the door speakers.

Because your choice of speakers is dependent on your personal tastes and the type of music you want to hear, I recommend that you audition several to see what works for you. Then you can work from there to identify a head unit and if necessary an amplifier that is suited to the speakers.

When I have a few extra dollars, I'll probably add a double din navigation unit as coolbreeze suggests. I'm still recovering from the cost of upgrading my top and my 996 gauge install.

Good luck.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #7

Garage
Quality Pioneer single din with customizable color wheel(to closely match oem yellorange lighting), Hertz 3 way speakers, subwoofer (8") custom build for fit in passenger foot well and pointing towards front of car(takes up approx.6-7"). Sub box built with marine grade plastic(starboard) and covered with matching interior carpet type/color. I had rear speakers deleted but reconsidering upgrading them for more surround. This custom install was not cheap and is not always utilized due to the boxster's glorious rev-tunes, but a great addition when desired.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
I started by adding rear speakers and upgrading the dash speakers. I later added a 6-channel amp. I have not yet upgraded the door speakers.

Because your choice of speakers is dependent on your personal tastes and the type of music you want to hear, I recommend that you audition several to see what works for you. Then you can work from there to identify a head unit and if necessary an amplifier that is suited to the speakers.

When I have a few extra dollars, I'll probably add a double din navigation unit as coolbreeze suggests. I'm still recovering from the cost of upgrading my top and my 996 gauge install.

Good luck.
I feel you on that! My wallet took a hit after each of those upgrades... My "enthusiasm" tells me it will continue :dance:.
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:01 AM   #9
Homeboy981

Garage
Buy an exhaust and you will never turn on the tunes because of that sweet symphony coming from your car!

I opted for all the goodies that just don't get used much! ebay is good for sourcing a double Din, got a 4 channel amp, backup camera, and upgraded speakers through Amazon. The stock unit sold to recover some out of pocket expense.

You can visit my garage for ideas.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:43 AM   #10

I have a double din Pioneer that I'm going to upgrade and the first thing I'm gonna get is this:

Speaker Bose Upgrade Porsche 986 - 98664556601 | Design 911

Once i get it I'm gonna upgrade everything to make sure it all works together.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #11

Garage
I recently replaced my oem radio with a nice, clean looking single DIN Alpine head unit. Now I have iPod/bluetooth/hands- free calling capabilities. Enough for me.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #12
Track rat

Garage
A couple of obstacles to overcome to get true hifi sound in a Boxster.

*High ambient noise floor (90db+ on the highway) so you will need a high SPL to get well above it and hear fine musical details.

* Stock Becker components run at odd impedance and some have MOST fiber optics which are incompatible with industry standard heads, amps and speakers. For best results, rip it all out and start from scratch.

* No room in the cabin for a quality, high SPL sub in a tuned cabinet.

If you throw a ton of money at it, you can get an excellent mobile boom box but it will never rival the audiophile quality sound you can get in a dead-quiet Lexus cabin. My solution was a lot simpler:

Amazon.com : Shure E2 Sound Isolating Earphones : Shure Earbuds : Electronics

It's not a perfect solution but it works for me on long hwy drives. Since I rarely listen to music with someone in the passenger seat, no one feels left out. YMMV

Last edited by Topless; 09-02-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote