Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 04:26 AM   #1

Garage
Can't get the convertible top adjusted!!!

I'm becoming very frustrated !!! Synchronizing the V-Levers is easy. The only info I can find is how to adjust/sychronize the V-Levers . What I need to know is how to properly adjust the push arms with the plastic ball sockets.

Here is my situation.....
The top moves up and down fine. The problem is when the top reaches the fully closed position (top reaching windshield) the motor pushes a little further which is fully closing the clam shell but this actually pulls the top back (approximately 1") and pops the plastic ball sockets off. Is it possible that I have a sensor not operating properly?

I have tried to adjust the push arms in and out but I just can't get it to work without one or both of the plastic ball sockets popping off.

I'm hoping someone knows a trick to getting these adjusted properly. This seems like a very simple convertible mechanism but it sure is kicking my butt !!!

I almost forgot to mention that this is for a 1998 986.
Thanks in advance for any info on my problem..................

Last edited by Meat Head; 08-29-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Meat Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #2

Garage
I was really hoping to get a few suggestions before I get off work . I plan on trying to get this sorted out this evening.

Anyone.......Anyone.......Bueller...Bueller
Old 08-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #3

When I replaced mine, I simply used the button to make sure the motor was in the fully closed position with the pushrods disconnected, then closed the top manually, then adjusted the pushrods so they were in the correct position using the single 10mm screw that connects the two pieces of the pushrod together. Once that is done, if you need and fine adjustment, you can pop the end off, screw it in or out slightly.

You will probably need to remove the clamshell to do this, but it is 6 screws and lifts off easily.

Last edited by gavinyuill; 08-29-2013 at 09:29 AM.
gavinyuill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #4

Garage
Well, I didn't have time to work on the top tonight . I'm hoping to look at it sometime this weekend.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:16 AM   #5

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/installinga%2703-%2704glasstopandframeona%2797

This link has the best discussion of the anatomy and operation of the top. If you suspect a problem with one of the switches or the drive cables, it will point you in the right direction for identifying the problem.

If it is not the switches or cables, I think Gavin has suggested a good method for adjusting the length of the "arms". When I was adjusting the length of mine after I installed a new top and frame, I marked my starting point with blue painter's tape so that I had a reference point for future movement of the arms.

Good luck.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote