Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #1

Red face IMS Clutch the whole shebang

Yep that's right. Took my early 05 987 in to get my noisy water pump, and rear main seal fixed. And of course, got the Ixx bearing out and had them install a new clutch. Its a done deal. Car didn't bleed out on the operation table. Picking up the car today. Who says you should stay away from the 05s?.

It was a toss up ever since I bought the car but I must say I'm quite happy that I have the upgradeable bearing. Will post photos of the water pump and bearing later this evening.

rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
Damn Yankee

Garage
Great news, rp.

Who did you end up choosing to do the replacement? Can you share how much the cost was? And finally, I'm sure some of us would like to know the condition of the original bearing, and maybe see a pic of it?

Thanks.

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #3

Garage
Randy, we need more details! Where and how much?
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:36 PM   #4

TO, Bruce
I got the work done at Boardwalk Porshe in Plano or whatever they are called now. (PorsheofPlano) They worked on my car ever since I had it. Yeah the guys up there are pretty sharp and see a lot of boxsters. I've talked to a few of the mechanics and walked away each time with some good knowledge. There prices, according to what I hear some pay at a Indie shops, they are expensive.

I got the water pump and the bearing in the trunk of the car. Bearing still looked oily so I didn't take it out the plastic zip loc bag. Wiggled it in the plastic zip loc bag though and it felt tight! Water pump still had all the plastic impellers thank goodness. Pics coming after I clean it up.

That bearing is going to work for me as a paper weight or if I can figure out how to hang it in frame on my wall here at work. Everytime the status bar comes up on my computer, I be flipping this thing around throwing it in the air, spinning it like a top here at my desk! This bearing is officially forced into early retirement.

As far as the cost? To be continued. Most of the works was covered under Warranty but I still have to give them the shirt of my back on the way out to get my keys. Got to look through all the paper work.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
jakesbox

Its a great feeling...when the shop calls and says, ok all is done and the operation went well. Even better is when you get to drive it the first time and think in your head...NOPE - NOT GOING TO BLOW UP TODAY!!!
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #6

Gotta say thank you to this forum for all the info. heard the whirling noise coming from the compartment and knew it could be the water pump. Those that don't know may of kept driving.

Last edited by rp17; 08-26-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp17 View Post
4223'
''''[][=0-=========--p=[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][[[[[[[[[[[][]7877
321123`1````11q0
Huh? What's that mean Randy?
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #8

Got an 06 Boxster S 3.2 now with 98000 kilometers (60000 miles) no problems with IMS noises leaks or water pump problems,am i lucky? I cheak the pump anually after winter storage and at 92000 kilometers it was tight,no play and quiet,even the belt and pullys were still smooth and quiet.i change the oil once a season before storage,add some storage seafoam ect and so far so good.If i ever have any problems i will definately note them here,had the car since 68000k.
moresquirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #9

What years should one avoid with regards to the ims prob? My brother is a mechanic so I am thinking a used boxter with 70k miles for $11000
polkfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkfarmboy View Post
What years should one avoid with regards to the ims prob? My brother is a mechanic so I am thinking a used boxter with 70k miles for $11000
IMS is not a problem if you can inexpesively replace the bearing. This is the case with 1997-2004. Some 2005's can have their bearings pulled with the engine in place, but you only know by taking down the transmission. 2005-2008 can not be replaced without splitting open the engine but the bearing is probably fine for the first 100K miles and depending on how regularly the right kind of oil was circulating through the engine. After 100K miles the bearing should be replaced at some point but you're basically gambling it won't.

A Boxster for $11K is probably a Boxster that really costs $16-18K once you start replacing the shocks, clutch/ims/rms, water pump/coolant tank/thermostat, AOS and probably the rotors/pads. I did all that between 70K -90K miles and spent over $10K. Since your brother is a mechanic you should save some money but the parts are still the major part of the expense.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #11

So how much money are we talking that I buy in parts on an 11K boxster
polkfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #12

Pics

\
Old 08-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #13

Old 08-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #14

I'll try to give you as much info as I can. My bearing still feels really tight. No play in the bearing. Didn't break the seal though. Just under 45K miles. Changed the oil at 42k miles 37K and 30k couple K miles after I bought it. Driven mostly highway miles. Was told that clutch was about half way gone. Oh well. Water pump actually looks good. Spins with barely any noies.

Moresquirt if your not having any problems, just keep changing the oil. Been hearing a buzz and maybe in a year or so, there will be more options out here for the 987 and 986s. This bearing thing is a crap shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moresquirt View Post
Got an 06 Boxster S 3.2 now with 98000 kilometers (60000 miles) no problems with IMS noises leaks or water pump problems,am i lucky? I cheak the pump anually after winter storage and at 92000 kilometers it was tight,no play and quiet,even the belt and pullys were still smooth and quiet.i change the oil once a season before storage,add some storage seafoam ect and so far so good.If i ever have any problems i will definately note them here,had the car since 68000k.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #15

Old 08-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #16

Bearing looks fine. Crapshoot indeed.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkfarmboy View Post
So how much money are we talking that I buy in parts on an 11K boxster
Impossible to tell until you have the car inspected by a Porsche mechanic who knows what to look for. Some Boxsters from Southern California can have 100K miles and need little work. While my car driven every winter needed over $10K in work, probably $7-8K in parts at this point, all before it even reached 90K miles.

$11K is only the asking price. You need to factor in the weather it was driven in, the quality of the roads, how often important maintenace was done to preserve the engine specifically the coolant system, if this maintenance wasn't done you could have potentially big engine problems so you'll need a compression and leak down test, and then add in all the things that typically go with however much mileage you have on this car.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp17 View Post
I'll try to give you as much info as I can. My bearing still feels really tight. No play in the bearing. Didn't break the seal though. Just under 45K miles. Changed the oil at 42k miles 37K and 30k couple K miles after I bought it. Driven mostly highway miles. Was told that clutch was about half way gone. Oh well. Water pump actually looks good. Spins with barely any noies.

Moresquirt if your not having any problems, just keep changing the oil. Been hearing a buzz and maybe in a year or so, there will be more options out here for the 987 and 986s. This bearing thing is a crap shoot.
you did the logical thing. I can't believe people put off the IMS on 2001-2004/5 cars on account of low probability. Even if you replace the clutch ahead of schedule to address the IMS you still get a new clutch that leaves you good to go for a long time.
In essence those who put off this repair are rolling the dice just to squeek a few extra hundred dollars out of a clutch that still has a some life in it. Those rewards do not outweight the potential costs of the risk. At least install the LNE Guardian if you're going to take your chances.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
you did the logical thing. I can't believe people put off the IMS on 2001-2004/5 cars on account of low probability. Even if you replace the clutch ahead of schedule to address the IMS you still get a new clutch that leaves you good to go for a long time.
In essence those who put off this repair are rolling the dice just to squeek a few extra hundred dollars out of a clutch that still has a some life in it. Those rewards do not outweight the potential costs of the risk. At least install the LNE Guardian if you're going to take your chances.
I was already going in there to fix the leaking rear main seal covered under warranty. Made all the sense in the world to get the bearing out. Whats confusing is I thought the leaking RMS seal would of turned out to be the Ixx leaking. Nope IMS looks good. As you know, there are a few who have lost there engine to this problem with LESS miles than me.