Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
jakesbox

Fire Extinguisher

Just curious - anyone (besides the racers) have a fire extinguisher installed in your car? And if so, where is it and why do you have it...are the cars known for catching fire?

2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #2

Garage
I have one mounted vertically between the seats it mounted to my roll bar extension / modified 5 point harness guide. North east region's are requiring all intermediate and higher DE participants to have a 2.5 pound extinguisher installed. My seat had to be lowered as far as possible to meet the 2" rule and it will not mount under the front lip of my seat.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
..are the cars known for catching fire?
Yes, absolutely. A gentleman I met at an auto parts store, after noticing my Boxster, went to great lengths to tell me about his neighbor who bought one and had it catch on fire and destroy both the Boxster and his house.

Studies have shown that they will spontaneously combust, with little or no warning at all. This usually happens right after the owner forks over heavy money to get his IMS bearing upgraded.

Porsche consoles owners by assuring them that it could have been worse. It could have been the dreaded "D-chunk" failure. Then they are advised to purchase a Certificate of Authenticity for their ex-Porsche for historic provenance.

TO

(with tongue firmly planted in cheek!)
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
Track rat

Garage
Boxster/Cayman are not "known" for catching fire but a few have burned down. Most often an overheated PS pump fails and dumps flammable fluid on the hot exhaust manifold.

I used to mount my FE with a fabricated adapter plate to the front of the passenger seat. This was convenient for me but sometimes passengers would catch the quick release with their pants and we would have a loose cannon rolling around the footwell. I now mount it to the front of my seat and it is a little less convenient but I am aware of it and never hit the quick release.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #5

My co-workers Boxster burned up a few years ago. He came to a stop and some kids told him his cars was on fire. He said yeah, right and drove off. A little while later he noticed his car was on fire and pulled over. Damage was limited to the engine compartment but it was written off as s total loss. He's got a Z-4 now and while he said it rides nice, it's not the same as a Boxster.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #6

Last edited by madmods; 08-29-2013 at 02:50 AM.
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #7

Garage
I carrying a fire extinguisher in the Dangermobile, not for fear of a vehicle fire, but in case I experience gastric distress after hot nude yoga.