Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2006, 06:31 AM   #1

Smile Installing a Garage Switch in my 01 Boxster

I have a Craftsman Garage door opener and I want to install it to one of my unused switches next to the radio. I purchased a new Porsche convertible top switch and I want to wire my remote to the switch. I don't know if I can wire it to the fuse box because I don't know if it can do 12volts.

Has anybody done this, escpecially to a Craftsman remote? Pictures?

spgribben007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:12 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spgribben007
I have a Craftsman Garage door opener and I want to install it to one of my unused switches next to the radio. I purchased a new Porsche convertible top switch and I want to wire my remote to the switch. I don't know if I can wire it to the fuse box because I don't know if it can do 12volts.

Has anybody done this, escpecially to a Craftsman remote? Pictures?
Hi,

What type Battery (s) does your remote have? This will tell you what the required power supply is. If it's 12V, you're OK to simply wire it into a 12V line. If a 9V Radio Battery, you'll need either to leave it Battery Powered or Step Down the 12V to 9V w/ a resistor by soldering it inline with the Power Wire.

I decided to leave mine (a Multi-Code 300MHz Transmitter) 9V battery powered and installed it in the Center Console. I used a MOMO (Momentary On / Momentary Off) Switch and a Surface-Flush LED Indicator Light. I carefully drilled 2 holes in the Switch Blank in the Center Console (No Heated Seats - Yet!) to accept both the LED and the MOMO Switch in a single Switch Blank. I wired these to a 2-pin connector.

Next, open up the Case for the Opener, usually just snaps together/apart, and using a Multimeter set for continuity, I determined which contacts close when the Switch on the Opener is depressed by touching the MM Leads to the Solder connections on the Circuit Board behind the Switch, and then checked them for polarity (LEDs need to be wired a specific way relative to current flow). I soldered a wire to each of these identified contacts and attached the Female part of the 2-pin connector to them.

Working through the space provided once the Ashtray/Non-Smokers Oddments Tray are removed. I velcro'd the Opener to the side of the Center Console Interior, making sure that no Wiring or Handbrake Function was impaired, and connected the 2-pin connector halves together.

This arrangement has worked quite well and the Opener has a very good range. The MOMO Switch and LED I found at RadioShack (<$4.00 combined) are very Generic and have a Stock appearance. When I activate the MOMO SWitch, the LED lights letting me know that I have a good Battery and the Opener is activated. I too thought of installing the switch on the Dash, but found it was more intuitive to reach for the Center Console, also the wiring was easier (less routing). About every 2 years I will need to replace the Battery, which will take all of 5 min. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-17-2006 at 09:31 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:26 AM   #3

Jim99,

Thanks for the info. I'm not that intuitive with ciruit boards and I don't have a multimeter hence needing pictures but I'll try to find someone who is. I'll definitely give the center console a thought.
spgribben007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spgribben007
Jim99,

Thanks for the info. I'm not that intuitive with ciruit boards and I don't have a multimeter hence needing pictures but I'll try to find someone who is. I'll definitely give the center console a thought.

Hi,

Each Opener's circuit is bound to differ. If you are contemplating this sort of work, you really need a Multi-meter. There are many Good ones for the Shade Tree Mech. for under $20, usually under $10 - C'mon, put a Crowbar in your wallet and pick one up. You'll be amazed at the uses you find for it once you do...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote