Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #1

Rear drop links - Help!!

This may be a dumb question, but I cannot find any help on replacing my rear drop links on my 2001...
I ordered and received the new parts from Pelican, and I can get the nuts undone on both the upper and lower connectors, but I cannot get the upper shaft to come out...
I have read on here that this should be a 15 minute job, so if anyone has a trick to removing the end that connects to the shock I would appreciate the help..

I am trying to do this replacement right now so urgent help is needed....
Thanks

Last edited by t_raven; 08-16-2013 at 10:18 AM.
t_raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #2

Raven, you may want to soak them with PB Blaster and you 'may' have to use a ball joint remover if it's too stuck, after all if they are the original ones, these would be about 12 + years old...

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_raven View Post
This may be a dumb question, but I cannot find any help on replacing my rear drop links on my 2001...
I ordered and received the new parts from Pelican, and I can get the nuts undone on both the upper and lower connectors, but I cannot get the upper shaft to come out...
I have read on here that this should be a 15 minute job, so if anyone has a trick to removing the end that connects to the shock I would appreciate the help..

I am trying to do this replacement right now so urgent help is needed....
Thanks
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #3

Also, both sides of the back end must be up in the air and no pressure placed on the drop links. This frees up the adjoining sway bar between the drop links.

If the car is jacked up and no weight is on the drop links, take a hammer to those bolts if the nuts are completely off. They're just stuck in place from age.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #4

Finally got them out... soaked them with penetrating oil, used a wrench on a pipe for leverage to turn the bolt, then used a heavy hammer on other end and they finally popped out...
The way they were stuck in there I wasnt sure they would ever come out!!

I asked the forum for help to see if there was an easy way to get these out, like jacking up the shock etc.
I unhooked the bottom of the drop link first, before I jacked up the car and took the wheel off so the drop link was free to move.

Anyone else that decides to do this, it may take a lot of elbow grease to get the old ones out....

Thanks for previous replies...
t_raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:09 PM   #5

Had the samenissue with my front passenger link just now. I think the best thing to do is cut off the link, so you can slide on a socket and rock it loose that way. WD40 is also key

martsink is offline   Reply With Quote