Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2006, 05:43 AM   #1

Front License Plates Removal-Legal?

Hi everyone,

here in ohio, technically a front license plate is required. Many cars do not place one esp. on sports cars. I had a previous Saab in which I never put a front plate on and was never ticketed even when ticketed for speeding. Has anyone ever been cited for this in a state which requires two plates. I woulld like to remove my front plate and put in plugs....thanks.

docdyh
2002 Boxster

docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 06:29 AM   #2
bmussatti

Just like you, docdyh, my home state, Illinois, requires a front plate. But, I am planning to run without, come this spring. I'll carry with me, and if it becomes an issue, I say, "it recently fell off, and I am waiting for a part to come in from Germany".

It’s kind of amazing how something as small as a front plate detracts a lot from the Boxster's overall appearance.

Also, this has been talked about on this forum before, so go search some old threads for more insight.

Good luck.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:44 AM   #3

I'm in Cook County, Illinois. Never any troubles with my Porsche or my now gone BMW and Lotus. Now...I didn't have a plate on my Honda and two weeks later...BAM...2 tickets in a week for no front plate! Favoritism being showed by the cops?!?!? You can take the chance and I believe it is a small chance with a "more luxurious" car, but if you get a ticket it'll run you between 75 and 100 bucks plus a court visit to prove you have the plate mounted to your vehicle. A BIG waste of time!
Old 01-14-2006, 09:24 AM   #4

Front Plate

Here in Kaleeforneeah, a FRONT PLATE is issued and is required on the vehicle. In my experience, if you drive like normal person and not like you're saying look at me in my 'Porsh', you should have fewer problems. Hey, just the fact you're driving a Porsche is an attraction in itself. Aggressive driving in places frequented by the highway constabulary is usually not advisable. Translation: don't invite trouble to your party. (I drive a slightly modified 2K-S. It's REALY FUN, but I try not to attract attention to myself.) Same goes for high dollar polished stainless steel aftermarket exhaust gas devices producing higher than "normal" decibel readings. AND, cops talk to other cops. Word gets around you're usually good for a mechanical pinch, who knows what else you're good for.

When operating at (or outside) legal parameters, you have to think like a cop. After all, good cops think like the people they are trying to catch. Assume that if you can't see 'em around the curve or the rise in the road, they're there. I was drivng home on a long trip one night and was all alone on a two lane highway, 60 in a 55. I sometimes have a sense about going slow(er), and I slowed. In a place where I usually expect to see the highway control parked behind a tree and off the road about 30 feet there was none, and while I was looking right, he was on the left, parked right next to the highway in total darkness. HELL-O !
By the way, If you get a touch of the brake lights from one, you just got a friendly warning without the embarassment and sweat of being stopped.

Happy motoring !
BrianD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 10:07 AM   #5

Brian is right on the money.

In addition to not trying to attract attention by the way you drive or announcing your presence through your exhaust or your music, when you see one of our finest up ahead, hang back and let the guy behind you pass. Let him block for you. Let his car be in the good officer’s rear view mirror and not yours (presuming you and the good officer are going in the same direction). If the cruiser is coming toward you, immdeiately turn right taking a quick detour into a street or driveway. This is a small sacrifice to prevent him from seeing your naked nose. If that is impossible and your paths will cross whether he is directing traffic or in a cruiser, always give him a nod, friendly smile and wave. The object here is to get him to look up at you and not your bumper.

Aided by my advanced years and silver hair, these techniques have worked for me without exception for 5-6 years.

Last edited by Biz-z Z; 01-14-2006 at 10:12 AM.
Biz-z Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 02:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by docdyh
Hi everyone,

here in ohio, technically a front license plate is required. Many cars do not place one esp. on sports cars. I had a previous Saab in which I never put a front plate on and was never ticketed even when ticketed for speeding. Has anyone ever been cited for this in a state which requires two plates. I woulld like to remove my front plate and put in plugs....thanks.

docdyh
2002 Boxster
A front plate is also required in Colorado. I generally try not to do anything which might give the police a reason to pull me over. Mostly though people get tickets here for no plates when parked. The meter maids have no mercy!

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 03:56 PM   #7

Doc,

About 5 years ago got a no plate ticket in the great town of cleveland on christmas eve. I was visiting Grandma for xmas. No speeding, Cop was coming head on did a uie and pulled me over. Was able to to show that I put the plate on and ticket was dismissed. The plate came off when I was at the car wash most likely was the clear plastic lense I put over the plate. (I had the plate in the car but the cop didn't care). I know the the State boys look for no plates too, as thats where they like to aim there laser. I asked a cop buddie if there was anyway around it and he said NOPE state law. I know some cars are a real pain to put a plate on (Ferro) with the shark nose (brother got a no plate ticket back then ended up putting a bra on with the plate slot. I'm in the same boat and agree its better to draw less attention and keep the plate on.

1995 Honda Civic *Track Toy*
1971 Olds Cutlass Convertible
1968 Camaro SS 396 4 speed
2000 V Star 1100
BadBoyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 04:06 PM   #8

I live in IL too and I haven't received a ticket yet since I got the Porsche 2 and a half years ago. Only one cop has pulled me over and mentioned it. Twice actually...I told him I was waiting on parts from Germany..lol. I haven't seen him in about a year...hopefully he quit or was transfered because all the other cops in my small town have to know by now that I don't have a front plate on it. I think it is a respect thing around here....if you have a nice sports car then they let it slide because they know front plates look crappy. In a bigger city I doubt they would be as sympathetic but who knows?

Last edited by Adam; 01-14-2006 at 04:08 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 07:39 AM   #9

thanks to all who replied. I guess I will put my front plate on....

docdyh
docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 07:52 AM   #10

Quote:

docdyh

Hi,

Hey, Good For You!! I hate them too, but, it's the right thing to do - there really aren't degrees of Law-Abiding.

The Cops have enough to do without having to waste time on some self-indulgent Sports Car Types who think the Laws apply to others but not to them, not mentioning any names and certainly no one here of course...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:56 AM   #11

Quote:

docdyh

Naw.... don't do it. I too am from the Cleveland area. I have not had a front plate on ANY of my cars in over 20 years. Yes - I know it's illegal and I could get a pricey ticket. I did get asked about it by a policeman one time as he was doing some sort of traffic control, directing cars away from a previous accident... I told him the frame was broken and a new one was on the way (this was the truth)... and he just said, ok, get it fixed soon.

I would NOT put plugs in the holes. That is adding insult to the injury of getting reprimanded. At least withOUT the plugs, you have a fighting chance of explaining the broken frame story.

Up to you - if it bothers you to be driving with that level of risk (very low IMHO), then put it on.

Of course now I have cursed myself and will probably get pulled over tomorrow!

Doug
FromMiata2Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 09:21 AM   #12

[QUOTE] thanks to all who replied. I guess I will put my front plate on....

Miata2 has a point. Don't unless you're nervous. Most cops have more important crimes to worry about. Similarly they generally do not ticket illegal equipment, like exhausts, chips, intakes. Unless you drive like a jerk then you're gonna get busted for anything they can write up. I doubt anyone on this forum falls into that category.