Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2006, 08:11 AM   #1

A good floor jack adapter for pretty cheap.

This is made by one of the companies I buy 928 stuff from, but it fits most P-cars including all Boxsters. Instead of adapting to the rotating top of the jack, it replaces that top with one that fits inside the jacking point holes. They have it listed at $27 including shipping.

928 Motorsports Floor Jack Adapter

Enjoy.

1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 08:30 AM   #2

Thanks for that post deliriousga!

This is exactly what I was looking for

I usally just removed the crown head portion and jacked it on the flat surface.

2000 2.7 Lapis Blue Boxster, Sports Pkg, Lit, Tip, Exhaust, De amber'fied
1983 911 SC Coupe 3.0 Gaurds Red (restoration, in pieces)
199? 993 Coupe Gaurds Red (lurking for....)
rbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 08:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliriousga
This is made by one of the companies I buy 928 stuff from, but it fits most P-cars including all Boxsters. Instead of adapting to the rotating top of the jack, it replaces that top with one that fits inside the jacking point holes. They have it listed at $27 including shipping.

928 Motorsports Floor Jack Adapter

Enjoy.

John,

Excellent. This is the Type I prefer rather than those which ride inside the original Saddle. Much more secure IMHO. Mine is similar - forget where I bought it.

BTW, I just finished modifying my Jack Stands for the Car as well. I have the Standard ones with the Forged 'U' shaped Saddles to accept a Box Frame Member. I drilled and tapped each one to accept an M10 Bolt, then got 4 Hockey Pucks and Center-Drilled them with a Countersunk hole. I thread the M10 Bolt through the Hockey Pucks into the Saddle and have a nice, rigid Flat Mount which doesn't Mar or Dent the Underside Members on the Car. Very Good Jackstands, less expensive than most are available here: http://www.bulletproofracing.com/jack%20stands.htm
Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-12-2006 at 09:52 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:39 AM   #4

Smile Even better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster

BTW, I just finished modifying my Jack Stands for the Car as well. I have the Standard ones with the Forged 'U' shaped Saddles to accept a Box Frame Member. I drilled and tapped each one to accept an M10 Bolt, then got 4 Hockey Pucks and Center-Drilled them with a Countersunk hole. I thread the M10 Bolt through the Hockey Pucks into the Saddle and have a nice, rigid Flat Mount which doesn't Mar or Dent the Underside Members on the Car. Very Good Jackstands, less expensive than most are available here: http://www.bulletproofracing.com/jack%20stands.htm
Hope this helps...

I went one step further... I got four identical jackstands, and then cut four 3"x3"x3/8" steel plates to fit on the top of the 'U' shaped area. Welded them on so the tops of the jackstands are now flat plates, then welded a 1" long piece of pipe straight up in the middle of the plate so it will "plug" into the jack point on the Boxster. Some 1/4" thick rubber conveyor belt material with a hole in the middle to fit over the pipe is the padding.

The pipe now plugs into the jack point, and the Boxster settles down on the flat plate padded by the rubber material. Totally secure, can't slide off, and cost about $25 to do.

Jack
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:43 AM   #5

Hey Guys ,,

Take a couple snaps so we can see what they look like ....

Thanks.....
1995 Honda Civic *Track Toy*
1971 Olds Cutlass Convertible
1968 Camaro SS 396 4 speed
2000 V Star 1100
BadBoyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 03:35 AM   #6

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 06:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
Hi,

That's the EXACT Jack Pad I have too... works Great, with the exception that the combination of my Floor Jack (Craftsman 3.5 Ton) with the Jack Pad is about 2mm taller than my '99 when the Jack is fully retracted - no problem - I use the Scissor Jack from my 240Z to raise the Boxster an inch, then slide the Floor Jack & Pad under. Once I'm done, the Car doesn't settle 'til it's driven, so the Jack slides right out. I have considered shaving the 2mm with a File from the Center Prong on the Jack Pad, but so far have been too lazy to do it. I particularly like the Nylon spacer rather than a Rubber one - more robust...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-13-2006 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:42 AM   #8

Tool Pants....Where did you get that one? I like it better with the larger disc.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Tool Pants....Where did you get that one? I like it better with the larger disc.

John,

Sorry to Hi-Jack the thread, but I got mine from Pelican: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/PORS/POR_PORS_PTOOLS_pg1.htm Listed as Floor Jack Pad about 2/3 down the Page =- there's a Pic link to it there also. Hope this helps...

Old 01-13-2006, 09:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
John,

Sorry to Hi-Jack the thread, but I got mine from Pelican: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/PORS/POR_PORS_PTOOLS_pg1.htm Listed as Floor Jack Pad about 2/3 down the Page =- there's a Pic link to it there also. Hope this helps...

Hijack away. The more great tools the better.

Here's a pic of a fantastic jack stand pad. A guy on the 928 forums had it fabricated for him, but very expensive. I'd love to get a ton of them made and sell them, but there are so many different size jack stand heads.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:12 AM   #11

A shot of just the adapter:
Old 01-13-2006, 03:55 PM   #12

I bought my jack pad years ago direcly from Paul Wilding on ebay. He had no web site back then and the pad was not on the aftermarket, like Pelican parts, as it is today. I looked at other pads and liked this one the best after looking at all the other pads that were on the market back then.

It has seen used on our work on cars days. If you cannot slide your floor jack under the car then we lift up on the fender to get the clearance, rather than driving up on wood.

Jacking up a car with the plastic side skirts can present a problem so you do not crack the plastic. I have used my jack and this pad on those cars with no problem.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 04:43 PM   #13

I'm a bit confused and maybe the owner's manual would clear it up, but do the jack stand pegs and the floor jack pegs that y'all are talking about fit into the same exact hole? Or is there a seperate hole for the jack stands to fit into than the one that the jack is supposed to use?

Just trying to see how you'd put a jack stand under one end of the car when the jack is in the way. Haven't been underneath the 987 yet...
Old 01-13-2006, 05:40 PM   #14

Here are the jackstands I modified. They don't have the rubber pad on them yet as the paint is still drying. I'll put them to use tomorrow doing the CV boot replacement.

Jack

Last edited by JackG; 01-13-2006 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
I'm a bit confused and maybe the owner's manual would clear it up, but do the jack stand pegs and the floor jack pegs that y'all are talking about fit into the same exact hole? Or is there a seperate hole for the jack stands to fit into than the one that the jack is supposed to use?

Just trying to see how you'd put a jack stand under one end of the car when the jack is in the way. Haven't been underneath the 987 yet...
Nope... they fit in the same hole. However, you can jack up the boxster without using the built-in jack points, and then drop it down on the jackstands.

Someone had posted a site showing where these jackpoints are... I'll look for it.

Jack
Old 01-13-2006, 06:02 PM   #16

Jack locations as shown in the 986 owner's manual:
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 06:49 PM   #17

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Boxster98
Jack locations as shown in the 986 owner's manual:
Yep... these are where the jackpoints are, but if you're going to use the jackstands I built, you have to jack it up in a different place so you can set it back down on the jackstand using those jackpoints.

The place I saw the alternative jackpoints is the Bentley manual. They show where you can place a floor jack to jack it up, and still leave these factory jackpoints free. I don't have a scanner, so I can't post them, but the fronts are near the front jackpoints, and the rear is in the center under the axle brace.

Jack
Old 01-13-2006, 07:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai

There are only 4 holes for lifting and putting on stands. The way I get it on all fours is to lift the front by putting the jack under the rear holes then once it's up in the front I put the jack under the cross bar that runs under the back to lift the entire rear and put the stands in the holes.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:57 AM   #19

Quote:
A shot of just the adapter:
John,

That looks perfect and I think you could fabricate one, without welding, using parts found easily at your local home depot / lowes. To make it easier I'm thinking about fabricating something using boxed aluminum, aluminum sheeting, aluminum tubing and a bolt.

Take a piece of 1" (1/4" thick) box aluminum, cut to 4 equal lengths (at the width of you jack stand mounts)
Cut the bottom off the box to create a U with a 1" top and sides
Cut a square (or round) plate from 1/4" aluminum plate that's the width of your jack stand tops (the same length as the U brackets you just made)
Drill a hole in the center of the plate and U bracket
Cut a 1" piece of 1/2" ID tubing
Assemble the plate in this order, U bracket, Plate and tubing
Bolt it all together using a 1/2 x 2" bolts with Nyloc nuts

If made correctly they shouldn't need to be welded to the jack stands, they should stay in place under the weight of the car and have no side to side movement.

Using aluminum makes the fabrication easier and since the load is being transfered to the steel jack stand mount through 1/2" of aluminum the chances of it bending are about zero.

I now have a project for some rainy weekend

Current Porsches:
2004 Cayenne Turbo
2003 Boxster S
Past Porsches:
1989 911 turbo
1981 911SC
1984 944
1973 914
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 11:23 PM   #20

Okay, so yeah...then I guess I don't get why there are both jack stands and floor jack adapters for these holes underneath the car. Seems to me that the jack stands would be great with adapters but I see absolutely no reason to buy an adapter for the floor jack...unless maybe you also flattened out the tops of the jack stands as some of you have said.

You guys aren't actually getting under your car with it being supported ONLY by a floor jack, are you?