Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #1

white left in my paint chips

needs some tips on waxing products.

I have more paint chips on the front of my car than I'd like.

If I use some sort of cleaning product, like a wax - The sort that you wipe on, leave to dry into a white powder/film, then polish off (like Autoglym, and TCut metallic paint product, etc),

I'm left with the dried white wax/polish in the paint chips. which are really hard to remove!

Looks terrible, so I polish my car and it looks worse because all my paint chips get highlighted!

I can anyone suggest a wax that dries clear/invisible?

Old 07-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #2

Garage
Why don't you get some touch up paint and fill in the chips?
Old 07-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #3

Garage
Road Rash

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc88 View Post
needs some tips on waxing products.

I have more paint chips on the front of my car than I'd like.

If I use some sort of cleaning product, like a wax - The sort that you wipe on, leave to dry into a white powder/film, then polish off (like Autoglym, and TCut metallic paint product, etc),

I'm left with the dried white wax/polish in the paint chips. which are really hard to remove!

Looks terrible, so I polish my car and it looks worse because all my paint chips get highlighted!

I can anyone suggest a wax that dries clear/invisible?
Take a look at www.drcolorchip.com

As I have said before it won't give you body shop respray results but it will improve the look significantly. Small chips disappear and larger ones are tougher to spot. I don't know if there is an issue with how long it will last as it has only been a few weeks since I did mine but so far I am pleased.
jrblackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #4

You could try color tinted wax. I use it on my black car and it helps hide the chips quite a bit.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #5

I know it doesn't help you now but the clear bra is the way to go. I bought a 2008 Boxster a month ago and it's flawless. It's had a clear bra since it was new and there isn't a chip on it. You may want to consider this if/when you repaint.
Racergirl22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:41 PM   #6

Garage
I have this same problem on my Zenith blue hood. I use pretty good polishes and waxes, but end up with the whitish color in the chips...Maybe a wet toothbrush??
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #7

Can't remember the brand as it has been toooooooo long since I waxed my car but I purchased a car wax that claimed on the label to not produce the white residue and it was true.Griot's Garage has a site and they have good stuff.Good place to look.
litespeedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:19 AM   #8

The Zymol waxes do not leave a residue. I especially appreciate this in regard to the "gasket" around the headlamps and the black trim on the clamshell just behind the top.

Some people who try Zymol end up disliking it, and I think it is because they are not removing it correctly. The way to do it is:

1. Spread wax.
2. Immediately use one towel with LIGHT pressure to "even out" the wax and let the air get to it.
3. Wait a bit, depending on the ambient temperature.
4. Use a second (cleaner) towel to buff off what wax remains.
5. When all the panels are done, use a third, clean towel over the whole car to make sure you didn't miss removing any wax.

Also keep in mind that Zymol waxes are NOT polishes, just waxes. So you would first want to use a clay-bar and/or actual polish to remove contaminants from the paint. Works great for me!
Old 07-31-2013, 01:13 PM   #9

Jrblackman how did the repair kit work out for you and what color is your car? i'd love to get rid of the chips on my Hood for $65.
tanque55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:43 AM   #10

thanks for the useful tips.

I did use touch up paint to cover paint chips, but the paint match is never perfect, but the biggest problem is that you never 'fill the hole' - always left with an indentation.

I will check out that dr colorchip,

but meanwhile, colourless wax, or similar is the way to go
Old 08-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #11

Garage
Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanque55 View Post
Jrblackman how did the repair kit work out for you and what color is your car? i'd love to get rid of the chips on my Hood for $65.

Ocean Blue Metallic and so far I am loving the results. I should have taken before and after pics.
jrblackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:39 AM   #12

so any suggestions on how to remove the white residue?
A quick wipe off method ideally (a chemical?)

quick - because I have many many small chips. maybe a 100! (most are the size of a pin head - but the white makes them visible).

I've tried alcohol (havent we all!) that doesnt work.
I've tried a tooth pick (no good - hard to get all out)

I've been suggested to try a 'water pick' - a mini-jet wash normally used to clean food of your teeth! (not tried)

ideally I want a 'wipe on /wipe off' solution to quickly and easily finally rid me of this awful white wax residue.....
(really I don't want to spend hours picking out pits of old white wax from each of the many little pits in my clear laquer)

Last edited by tomc88; 08-28-2013 at 05:41 AM.
tomc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:03 AM   #13

Any chemical that will easily remove wax residue is by virtue going to remove your freshly applied wax. Is this something you want to happen? Try mineral spirits or a paint thinner - its your paint. Ask a body shop what they use to strip wax. I've herd dish soap also cuts wax.

jesseborgelt is offline   Reply With Quote