Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
Carnut

Visited Carmax today and got an offer for

15,000 $

2owner car with 56,000 mls.

What do you think?

Old 07-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #2

depends on what you plan to do next.

I always refer to Excellence Magazine, they track what cars actually sell for and not what people like KBB and private owners think they are worth.

Based on my experience, the best thing to do short of CPO is to be in after 25K miles and out by 60K. Let the original owner eat the massive depreciation on a pristine car and leave the big repairs for the next guy.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #3

Garage
NADA says 19k for clean retail and 16k for a clean trade in. Are you selling? I have been debating the same thing but I don't want to give my car away. Boxsters are selling really cheap, not even close to KBB, and I wonder if the IMS scare is the reason. I want to upgrade to an 09 in the next year or so. My car still has 1 yr left on extended warranty so maybe next year. How was Carmax to deal with and how long did it take for them to make you an offer?
1olddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #4

CarMax will give you a price lower than private party. Their process is smooth and easy - at least in my experiences. They give you a quote that is good for 7 days.

You just have to decide if you take the convenience of selling it at a lower amount. Just this weekend they offered me $4000 for a 2006 Mazda 6 in like-new condition - I can get nearly $8000 private party. I sold my Mazda 3 for $1000 more than their offer.

$15k for 55k miles in pristine condition for an S? You can get a grand or two or three more private party.

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
Carnut

Carmax was a good experience regarding the process, clearly explained and took less than 30 minutes. I think I can get at least 17,000, maybe more... Lets see. I wanted to give it a try only at this time.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #6

I don't go often, but you can try here. Last time I went, a few weeks ago, guy has some for sale signs on his GTR.

https://www.facebook.com/CarsandCoffeeSLC
Old 07-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
Carnut

I will go Saturday morning for a good cup of coffee! See you there??
Old 07-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
depends on what you plan to do next.

I always refer to Excellence Magazine, they track what cars actually sell for and not what people like KBB and private owners think they are worth.

Based on my experience, the best thing to do short of CPO is to be in after 25K miles and out by 60K. Let the original owner eat the massive depreciation on a pristine car and leave the big repairs for the next guy.
I hadn't heard this about Excellence. What type of data do they compile? I would be interested to see this since I'm in the market. KBB is clueless and even Edmonds doesn't seem totally correct.
eli cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyA6 View Post
What do you think?
Looking at your post count, I would put up another post as quickly as I could.
(#666)
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:36 PM   #10
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli cash View Post
I hadn't heard this about Excellence. What type of data do they compile? I would be interested to see this since I'm in the market. KBB is clueless and even Edmonds doesn't seem totally correct.
Excellence magazine. They have a monthly column featuring a few car buys.

Excellence :: The Magazine About Porsche
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli cash View Post
Excellence have these tables of current market values that chart increase and decreases in values by model year, from low mileage cars in excellent shape to higher mileage cars in fair shape. Interesting factoid on the piece below, it says Porsche had 6,000 U.S. pre-orders for the Boxster in its first year, that's compared with barely 2,600 Carrera sales for all of North America in 1998.

http://www.excellence-mag.com/resources/buyers-guide/1035392063

They show how the prices have fluctuated over the last x numbers of years which provides an interesting history. For instance You can see how hard the credit crisis hit the Carrera 'premium' in the second hand market for out of warranty 996 cars, $20-$30K single year drops in some cases. Meanwhile since the Boxster was not priced so high to begin with their prices did not see as severe a drop. Generally though the 986 price drop seems to have slowed a bit with a modest bump in value in the most recent years. But I have not checked these since the 981 started hitting the streets.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 07-29-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #12
Carnut

Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Post 667
Old 08-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #13

I went to Carmax last week and that's the exact same quote they gave me. 2004 S, silver w/black interior, 67k miles. I wasn't too interested in only getting $15k for it so I decided to keep it.
Th535is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #14

i'm actually surprised that the prices are that high. You have a new model out which is a big hit.
the interest rate landscape has been low for a really long time, to the point where moving into much more expensive cars isn't the huge stretch it once was. Many of these Boxsters are years and years out of warranty which is a hassle you don't need when money is so cheap and frankly wealthy people have been doing fabulously in the market which dumps even more barely used 997/987 into the market to further push down prices of older series cars. And of course the massive supply of all water-cooled Porsches, a buyer has never had such a great pick of the litter.

I'm actully shocked that any 986 can still fetch into the high teens.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-01-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #15

Garage
Feeling good I just got 21k for my 02 S. It's a perfect car and just shy of 15,000 miles, plus I still had a year left on extended warranty that the new owner is transferring into his name for $50. Both parties were happy I think, his first Porsche, and I'm on the lookout for another. I may wish I had hung on a bit longer but as of now, no regrets.

1olddude is offline   Reply With Quote