Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #1

Is it worth it

Okay, help me out here. I agree, as most of us do, that the 981 is a superior sports car to ours in almost every way. In reality you are not going to walk out the door with one under $80,000. Let's say that mine is worth $20,000 (in my dreams, but it's just to make the math easy).

Is the 981 really going to be $60,000 more fun to drive than mine? Most people looking at them, if they are not side by side, will not know the difference.

heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
AJR

I don't own either a 986, 987 or a 981 yet. But I have often thought about the same thing . The way I ended up rationalizing is that the fun of owning a 981 is not 60,000 dollars (in your example) for fun to drive. But then again you have to realize the residual values of your 2 car are going to be at least 40 to 50 K apart for the first couple years at least.

Say in a year the new car would have depreciated to 65K and the older one to 17K - the difference is 48K. So the question in my opinion comes down to whether buying a car with exactly the options you want, the color and the latest gadgets and technology worth 12K? Also the cost of maintenance in the first 4 years on your new car would be minimal compared to the same for the older car.

In my case I choose the older car only because I do not have 80K to put down. :>)

Cheers,
AJR
AJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:05 AM   #3

Heliguy, that's really a question only you can answer...

I really like the 981. I don't think I'm in a position to buy one for a year or two, though. Equipped the way I'd want it, I'd come out at or just under $70K. Or, I can buy this really nice two owner '00, for $10K. In my case, $10K is more economical/practical. But the heart wants what the heart wants...

Last edited by bar10dah; 07-25-2013 at 12:09 AM.
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:43 AM   #4

I love my 986.

I made a mistake and drove the 981. Holy cow. It's an AMAZING car. The best sportscar I've ever driven, and maybe one of the best (in the discussion) of best sportscars ever made by a car manufacturer.

Seriously, it blew my mind.

Vs. a 986:
- Its way faster (base is faster than my S)
- Sounds amazing
- Interior is fantastic
- Seats superior
- Looks great
- Handles better (no comparison actually, the 981 is seriously poised)
- Driving inputs are better (steering, shifter, brakes)
- Modern features like PASM are highly desirable
- Will be more reliable and under warranty

The PDK blew my mind on the test drive. I don't like automatics, and I can't believe how good it was. The manual 6 speed though was the best 6 speed I've ever driven. So I would end up with that.

What's not to like? I priced out the 981 with the options I want at about 75K. Hopefully get it for around 70K discounted. In my case, it's just a matter of time. Maybe I put it off for a year or so, or maybe I don't.

Is the 981 "55K better than my 986"? Probably not. It's probably unnecessary. The 986 is a lot of fun. But it's my daily driver, my only car, and affordable for me. So why not?

BTW - I will probably go with the Cayman S in a modern color with full leather interior.

I hope someone can talk me off the ledge...

/
Old 07-25-2013, 03:20 AM   #5

Just wait a few years, and the price won't be nearly as painful ! IMO, Boxtsers are a great used car buy, since they're generally treated well, and have low mileage.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:25 AM   #6

Having a brand new Porsche the year it comes out is more than just the fun factor and quality of the car. It's a status symbol. You 'wear' your car the same way girls 'wear' an LV purse. Some can do it, some can't.

Personally, I have the money right now to sell my car and get a newer 987... But I'm not. I'm going to drop a 3.6 in my 986 and have way more fun than any 987 or 981 can buy me.
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:41 AM   #7

For me it's worth it. I'm having fun with my 986 but too much maintenance and trouble lately. It's getting old and it feel it. Lots of wear and to get back to original is a lots of work and money.
I've decided to sell it next spring and get a 981 Aqua blue. Order will be done soon for spring 65k$ plus taxes. It will be worth it for the next 10 years of ownership. :-)

Later
Chris
wawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #8
pjv

Garage
I'm seriously envious! $65K for a new 981 ! At that price I would be contemplating buying one myself, but in this country a new 981 is about $130K, maybe as high as $150K with a few extras. Just too much, for me anyway.
pjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:31 AM   #9
recycledsixtie

Garage
Of course it is your decision but you are asking for our perspective. For me there would be two factors in this equation. The money and the fun factor.

I originally went with a 2001 Boxster base and never even tried an S. I stayed away from test driving anything new or anything at a dealership. The reason? Once I tried something new or something superior such as an S model I likely would have been smitten. Once I feel the need then I might head into something like that.

The $$$$? Would new be worth it? If you want to put out that kind of money then fine. For me I want value and would be looking at a Cayman(2009 or newer = ims free). Would new be any more fun than old? You have tried it - you know. I have 42k miles on my 2001. It has some rattles and I know I will be facing replacing parts in the next few years likely. If $$$ was no object I would go for new definitely. But don't forget in a few years that new car will be used and Porsche will be tweaking the Boxster to make it a bit superior to the previous year. Good luck with your choice and let us know what you do!
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa View Post
For me it's worth it. I'm having fun with my 986 but too much maintenance and trouble lately. It's getting old and it feel it. Lots of wear and to get back to original is a lots of work and money.
I've decided to sell it next spring and get a 981 Aqua blue. Order will be done soon for spring 65k$ plus taxes. It will be worth it for the next 10 years of ownership. :-)

Later
Chris
Aqua blue is discontinued Did you get in under the wire?
navair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:46 AM   #11

fatmike, I had the exact same opinion as you did when I drove the 981...Instant love affair. The PDK is smarter than a 5th grader!!
Old 07-25-2013, 06:04 AM   #12

Another factor with a new 981 is what you'd LIKE to do with it vs what you actually will do.

I know I would not take a brand new 981 to an Auto-X, the local shopping mall or leave it anywhere outdoors overnight.

However, I don't worry much about scratches, vandals, rain or hard driving and cones at the Auto-X with a $15k car and it has become my Daily driver.

Plus being a hobby car as well, I feel no apprehension of buying addons and upgrades like bumpers, mufflers, suspension, wheels etc and consider that part of the fun, making the car uniquely your own.

I doubt I'd consider any addons for some time with a new 981.

So it all comes down to how you like to enjoy your car.

Like someone else mentioned, perhaps getting a gently used 981 in a few years would be a good idea.

And just another passing thought, for the price of your new 981, you can have a Daily Driver Boxer, plus another dedicated track car and a small RV & trailer to take to the events.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 07-25-2013 at 06:09 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:12 AM   #13

Personally I think it's a question of money for most people, who wouldn't want a new Boxster? I saw one in the show room the other day and it was beautiful inside and out. I've seen and heard the PDK transmission and think of it always when I'm stuck in traffic. Of course I'm over protective of my 2002S let alone a new car. Would you be worried everytime you left it parked some where. My 2002 brings a smile to my face everytime I get above 4K and everytime I sling it around corners, but I'd still have a new one if I could.
tanque55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:20 AM   #14

The truth is....

If you'd that money to upgrade.... You'd buy the best 911 you could with the funds.... Anyone who comes on here arguing that point is just spoofing....

Now c'mon spoofers! :-)
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:24 AM   #15

Garage
After buying other cars, including Porsches, brand new, I will never do it again. It is simply, IMHO, a big, huge waste of money considering how quickly these depreciate. You will be able to pick up a 3-4 year old 981 for 50% of the sticker price down the road.
Unless you are really customizing the car like especial colour, different leather stitching, full leather interior, etc etc and planning to keep it forever, it is simply not worth. Not to me at least.
I just got a Lamborghini Gallardo, used of course, for a fraction of its cost new. Still expensive for a car BUT less than half of what it would cost new. And with 20,000 miles on it.
Same for my daily driver, a V12 BMW 750iL, damn mint, with everything you will ever want on a sedan.
Would I buy any of these new? No way.
Same applies to any Porsches.

CR
crod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:42 AM   #16
2001 Boxster S

Oh, I have fantasized about this dilemma many times. Don't know about the fun factor of the 981 first hand as I've not test driven one yet. But all the reviews i've read have been glowing! To me, there is always a lure of driving home a shiny new car and fully knowing its maintenance history from the time you drive it out of the dealership. Customizing it to your heart's content (or to the extent of your wallet) is a draw for me, too. (my 981 would be white with beige full leather interior) Is that worth $60k? I'd say yes...

Sadly, a new 981 S costs more like $150k in my part of the world and that's just a bit too much money. So I'll just keep dreaming on...
Dgnarvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:30 AM   #17

You can buy a Ferrari 355 for $60k, think about it.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #18

Good Lord, there goes the 911 argument again !

jb, I agree, there's something liberating to having a car that's not quite pristine anymore!
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:41 AM   #19

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
They are defiantly a great looking car make sure to do a full 3m shield!

Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #20

Crod...we hate you...seriously, if you don't post pics it doesn't exist.