Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #1

New with a few questions

Looking forward to learning a lot here. I was online and came across a website boxtcar a who produces hardtops for boxsters. Does anyone have any info or experience with them. Also as I do not yet own a boxtser I was looking at going to a dealers auction with my dads friend "40 years experience and he knows what he is doing" I have done a lot of research and I am gathering as much knowledge as possible. Does anyone have any advice or knowledge they wouldn't mind sharing? If anyone would like to talk porsche that would be great even on the phone as its the easiest for of communication. Thank you

Tim

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Tbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:30 AM   #2

Garage
Welcome, At least your doing the research first. Check on the IMS post but don't loose heart after you read them Some estimates I've seen are only 2 to 3 % have failed. There are allot of cars without this problem.

Be prepared for the maintenance.
Oil change at least once a year with a good quality oil and there are 100's of posts on that. So don't be surprise if you take a shot for starting a what oil should I use post.
The cars are hard on tire. If you want the performance from the car it will take a extreme or ultra performance tire generally 280 AAA or less and you will probably use a set up in 10,000 miles some less . Again look at the tire you think you want and query the forum. Tons of info already posted on tire, wear, and who likes which tires

Last everyone is going to tell you to get a good PPI on the car. An Auction may not permit that and my honest opinion is don't by at an auction. All the thing you need to look at can't be looked at in an auction lot. Even some one with good experience will be misleading you if they tell you they can eyeball one and give you the A-OK
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 07-20-2013 at 08:48 AM.
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #3

Garage
Welcome and good luck in your search. An auction buy would have to be low enough to cover any possible hidden problems. Here are a couple of sites to look over:

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/mikesporscheboxsterwebpages

Porsche Boxster Buyer's Tips, Mods, and More

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote