Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 04:00 AM   #1

Road trip to the Canadian East Coast

Tomorrow morning my wife and I embark on a 10 day road trip in the Boxster from central Ontario, Canada, through Quebec (along the St.Lawrence River) through New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, with a day set aside doing the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton. For those who have not seen the Cabot Trail it has terrifc scenery and, more to the point, is absolutely incredible sports car territory. Here is a site in french:

CAP_BRETON

While we will also get some sailing in with friends, the highlight of the trip should
be the driving experience. In this case for sure, its not the destination but the journey that counts.

Brad

PS Purchased some fitted luggage on Ebay to maximize space for the trip and, while the advertised 'sale' price is a joke, they do fit the car and quality is reasonably good. My wife gets the two large bags (for the frunk), I get the two smaller ones for the rear trunk (and prema-pressed wrinkles from the heat), and there is still space below the oil/coolant fillers for a camara bag. All is good!

Last edited by southernstar; 07-17-2013 at 04:23 AM. Reason: sp
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:12 AM   #2

WoW I'm not so far from it and I did not knew it existe. I will have to plan a trip there:-). I would have love to join you for a small part of your trip, but I'm going the other way ( from Rimouski to Québec) to try a Ferrari and a Lamborghini :-)

Have a good road trip

Chris
wawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:23 AM   #3

Thanks Chris - and enjoy your test drives!

Brad
Old 07-17-2013, 05:43 AM   #4

North westren side is the best....go to the left side for Boxster roads

Watch out for moose at night...they stand right beside the road toward the northern tip.

Had one in my backyard one morning
Old 07-17-2013, 06:34 AM   #5

I'm aware of the dangers posed by our antlered friends, jaykay! Many hit each year.

Braad
Old 07-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #6

I love the Cabot trail as well.
Hope the hot weather gives up a little.
Its to hot to even take the top down right now.
BTW those mountains are hard on the brakes!
brian325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
pjq

The TC through New Brunswick is double lane and new so its great to ride on, nice scenery. The Nova Scotia section is double lane and alright to ride on. The Cape Breton section is single lane twisty and hills!!!! Should be busy with tourist but .... the Boxster can handle it, I can hear the engine now!The excitement is there if you want it. Scenery is nice.
Moose and Deer are a fact here so if you don't have to drive on the highway at night, don't. If you do have to drive at night slow down.
If you like history check out Acadian village in Caraquet NB or Fortress Louisbourg in Cape Breton.
pjq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #8

Thanks all. Been there before, but not in a Porsche. And I have no intention of driving at night.

Brad
Old 07-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #9

Nice vacation Brad. Your itinerary may be booked but consider a ferry trip to Prince Edward Island- it's flat but park-like, the roads have no patches and the towns and fishing villages are from another time. Either way I hope the weather's perfect for you.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #10

Hi Brad ! I will leave Montreal to New Brunswick next week for about a week ! It would be my first trip with my Box !
Your itinerary seems really nice ! Enjoy it !
Old 07-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstar View Post
Tomorrow morning my wife and I embark on a 10 day road trip in the Boxster from central Ontario, Canada, through Quebec (along the St.Lawrence River) through New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, with a day set aside doing the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton. For those who have not seen the Cabot Trail it has terrifc scenery and, more to the point, is absolutely incredible sports car territory. Here is a site in french:

CAP_BRETON

While we will also get some sailing in with friends, the highlight of the trip should
be the driving experience. In this case for sure, its not the destination but the journey that counts.

Brad

PS Purchased some fitted luggage on Ebay to maximize space for the trip and, while the advertised 'sale' price is a joke, they do fit the car and quality is reasonably good. My wife gets the two large bags (for the frunk), I get the two smaller ones for the rear trunk (and prema-pressed wrinkles from the heat), and there is still space below the oil/coolant fillers for a camara bag. All is good!
Brad,
Can you post a link to the luggage?
Bryan topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:13 AM   #12

Sorry for the delay Bryan, but just got back from my trip. The link for the luggage is:

Porsche Boxster Cayman 4pc Custom Fitted Luggage Bags | eBay

I also purchased some Chinese knock-off Porsche crests (look exactly like the originals) to have sewn on and some Porsche seatbelt pads for the shoulder straps. My wife and I had plenty of space for 11 days plus space in the rear trunk below the oil/coolant caps for her camera bag.

Apart from the weather (it rained all but two days) the trip was terrific. I put on 5000 km (3100 miles) that were fun and totally trouble-free. The Cabot trail was amazing in the Box - although a bit scarey for the last half when we had a torrential downpour - no room for errors there! On Thursday we left Cape Breton for Maine, stayed Thursday nite in Bangor and then spent Friday and Saturday nites in Boston. Good sports car territory from the New Brunswick/Maine border to Bangor as well. As to the traffic into Boston.... we arrived Friday at 4:00 pm (I know, rush hour) but with the bridge construction it was insane!

Stayed at a great hotel by the market in Boston - the Harbourside Inn. A terrific location but also a superb and stylish renovation at an extremely low price ($159.00 nightly for a city view room). I highly recommend it for anyone staying in Boston.

Anyway, due for an oil change!

Brad

Last edited by southernstar; 07-29-2013 at 04:48 AM. Reason: sp
Old 07-29-2013, 07:36 AM   #13

Garage
Glad you enjoyed your trip & thanks for the link.
the picture seems to be a 987 (no spare tire). I'm wondering how well these will fit a 986?
Bryan topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:48 AM   #14

Bryan, they fit quite well. One has to be careful not to overstuff the ones for the frunk (believe me, my wife did) or they take some effort to compress into and remove. The material seems to be decent quality and the black color with grey piping makes a reverse image to the finish in the exisitng trunks. They really do allow you to maximize the space.

My only complaint is the lack of a pad for the thin nylon shoulder straps (as indicated, I solved that by purchasing some 'Porsche' seatbelt pads on ebay.

Brad
Old 07-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #15

Sounds as though it was a great trip! It's amazing how much you can pack into this thing when you want to.

Sounds similar to the trip I took with my daughter from WI to Seattle and back through Yellowstone and the Black Hills. Almost 9000 km, including a drive through mountain passes while it was snowing!

I've been gradually posting photos and googlemap routes from it on this forum. Hope you do the same. Definitely looking forward to pics posted here, too.

The Boxster is definitely an AWESOME car for a 2-person road trip! Find the roads and go!

DBear

dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote