Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #1

Electronics Acting Strange

When I bought my 01 S last year, it always beeped when locking, and that was initially the only "weird" electronics issue. I ignored it, because I viewed it as an audible confirmation that the lock was engaged.

Later in the year, it would occaisionally beep twice when unlocking with the remote, but not always. Toward the end of the driving season, the dashboard lock button light would come on at times. Sometimes it would blink, sometimes it was constant on, sometimes not at all.

Recently, the dash lock button is almost always lit, the remote lock always beeps once. Almost always the unlock beeps twice. Sometimes the trunk and frunk remote open does a double beep.

Now the dashboard LEDs are acting up, when I turn off the motor and remove the key, they turn off when I open the door. They don't turn on again until I turn the ignition on.

Any thoughts on where to start trouble-shooting? i was thinking battery, but starting is never a problem, which I would expect if battery charge was low.

DBear

dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #2

my 01 base had similar problem.
search "door lock mechanism".
cure for my car was to reflow the solder on the passenger side door lock mechanism
tad
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:14 AM   #3

If no joy with the above, next thing is the ignition switch. Cheap to buy, awkward to fit.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #4

Single beep means something is open when you lock the car - door, oddments tray, hood, trunk, etc.

Double beep generally means something is broken in the central locking system. If you have a Durametric cable or know someone who does, its important to get the fault codes so you don't chase parts until you stumble on the broken one. You may need to take the car to an independent shop or a dealer to get the codes.

If you find there is a synchronization problem, most likely one of the door lock units needs replacing because a sensor isn't working. I had a lot of the symptoms you mention and it turned out I had to replace the passenger door lock on my 01S.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
2001 Boxster S

I have the same situation with the single beep every time I lock the car. The double beep etc hasn't happened yet but it seems it's a progressive thing?

Would durametric tell me which sensor / lock needs replacing?
Dgnarvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #6

IIRC correctly, the Durametric will tell you the fault codes associated with the central alarm system. I don't think it allows you to activate the individual system components so you can see which one of the components triggers the fault. Others with more Durametric experience may tell us I'm wrong.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #7

Good advice, all of you. Changed the ignition switch less than 10,000 miles ago, so don't think that's it. Everything definitely is closed, even center console.

I'll have the indy shop run the diagnostics next time I take it in.

DBear
Old 07-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #8

dbear61,

Check to see if your gas cap is locking.

I have an issue with my 04 S where the remote central locking has decided to stop on me too and I got the double beep of the horn (until I disconnected the horn)

I have since noticed that my gas cap is not locking and have had it confirmed that the locking mechanism actuator has failed. I will be ordering it in the next few days so I am hoping that this part is also linked to the central locking system and is causing my remote locking to stop working.

Might be worth a look in your case too as it's only a $30ish part.

Best of luck
qstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #9
Mobile Porsche Surgeon

My own car is experiencing this issue, it appears in my case the switch from the interior door handle sorts out, been too busy to mess with it. It will be a future project.

http://www.mikesspecialtyautomotiveservice.com/index.html
Early 1996 / 97 Boxster, 130 k, De snorkeled, IMS, Top Speed Headers.
kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by qstoria View Post
dbear61,

Check to see if your gas cap is locking.

I have an issue with my 04 S where the remote central locking has decided to stop on me too and I got the double beep of the horn (until I disconnected the horn)

I have since noticed that my gas cap is not locking and have had it confirmed that the locking mechanism actuator has failed. I will be ordering it in the next few days so I am hoping that this part is also linked to the central locking system and is causing my remote locking to stop working.

Might be worth a look in your case too as it's only a $30ish part.

Best of luck
I replaced the gas cap in April. The rubber seal was cracked in multiple places. Still have the problem.

DBear.