Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2006, 08:26 PM   #1

Dumb question from newbie, but...

I just got my 2002 Boxster, 24,000 mi with factory warranty remaining thru july 2006. In the spring, I plan on taking to the dealer early for 30k service. I did not have it inspected prior to purchase but it had one owner and seems to run perfectly. I assume that during a major service, they will tell me if anything major needs to be fixed while still under warranty, or should I have it inspected elsewhere as if it was a PPI. I realize that the warranty does not cover routine
maintenance issues.

I have only one key that came with the car. It has a single button on it but the battery seems dead-what is the function? Thanks in advance.

docdyh

docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 10:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by docdyh
I just got my 2002 Boxster, 24,000 mi with factory warranty remaining thru july 2006. In the spring, I plan on taking to the dealer early for 30k service. I did not have it inspected prior to purchase but it had one owner and seems to run perfectly. I assume that during a major service, they will tell me if anything major needs to be fixed while still under warranty, or should I have it inspected elsewhere as if it was a PPI. I realize that the warranty does not cover routine
maintenance issues.

I have only one key that came with the car. It has a single button on it but the battery seems dead-what is the function? Thanks in advance.

docdyh

Hi,

Sounds to me that the Car's Central locking has gone into hibernation due to being unused for 5 days. Try using the key in the lock one time, start the car and check it again. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 03:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by docdyh

docdyh
Don't go into sticker shock when the dealer quotes you over $200 for a second key

BTW, just turn the key in the door to reactivate the remote, if you open the door before you press the button on the key you'll set off the alarm (don't ask me how I know )

Current Porsches:
2004 Cayenne Turbo
2003 Boxster S
Past Porsches:
1989 911 turbo
1981 911SC
1984 944
1973 914
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 05:12 AM   #4

yeah...i heard those keys are expensive...thanks for the replies..excellent forum.

docdyh
docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 10:15 AM   #5
olly986

hi doc, had same problem when buying my S, got my dealer to pay for second key, by the way WHAT DO PEOPLE DO WITH THEIR KEYS!!!
we hear regularly about missing keys, don't forget that a third key should have come with the car when new, one that do not have the electric buttons on.