Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #1

Transmission a bit stiff and clunky

Have the Box booked in for fresh transmission oil, but just wanted to check the symptoms with you guys and prepare for the possibility that fresh oil doesn't do the trick.

Gear change has become rather stiff and notchy in most if not all gears. 1, 2 and reverse are the worst, 3rd and 5th the least effected, 4th somewhere in between.

Think there's a very slight clonk selecting 1st and particularly reverse when stationary.

If the oil doesn't sort it, what are the other candidates. Obviously the tranny might just be toast (117k miles, no idea if the tranny oil has even been done - had been planning to do it in any case).

But maybe engine mounts?

The clutch is also very worn and also due to be replace soon. The pedal has been stiff for ages (it was stiff when I bought the car on 76k, I've been nursing the car and carefully rev matching my downshifts ever since!). But recently it seems the bite point has shifted to very low on the travel. I really have to push the pedal right to the floor.

This seems counter intuitive to the high bite you expect with a worn clutch, so perhaps other clutch related components are on the Fritz and this could be influencing the gear change? Perhaps the clutch isn't fully disengaging?

I've had a search and I can get a replacement transmission for about £250, so the worst case scenario isn't entirely horrifying. But anyway, grateful for any ideas / experiences.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #2

Garage
Clean and lubricate the shift linkage, that should help a little. I use the following to lubricate the linkage and love it:

http://www.amazon.com/Wurth-HHS-K-Spray/dp/B0093LR0M8

Could be motor mount?

300K Mile Club

Last edited by Jager; 06-13-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #3

Pothole,
It seems that your clutch is not disengaging properly, why don't you try bleeding the slave cylinder?
It may help but perhaps is time to replace the clutch..
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:43 AM   #4

Yeah, I plan to get the clutch done soon. Car will not be used until that's done. Tranny oil is next week. Clutch within a few weeks after that, hopefully.

Should probably get the motor mount done, too.

God, this is going to be expensive. One of the rad fans is bust, too, and the suspension needs an overhaul.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #5

you could ask the mechanic if the trans oil change is included with the clutch job, if you've committed to doing it. Also, Porsche gear oil is extremely expensive here in Canada and the USA. Motul has a line of 'ester' derived oil which is supposed to be superior to Mobil 1's synthetic oil and may be more affordable. As you may know, the dual mass flywheel could need replacement and will at least, double the cost of the clutch job parts. How about the IMS bearing?
Old 06-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #6

Garage
I found first and reverse to be a pain to get into gear right before I replaced my clutch. Replacing the clutch seemed to fix that problem.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #7

Woodsman, it's an early dual-row bearing with 117,000 miles on it. I'm considering changing it, but the stats seem to suggest these early dual-row ones are pretty reliable.