Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2005, 02:34 PM   #1

Dasschild - Trunk shield - anyone got these

Looks like a pretty nice addition to the Boxster - won't help performance but might save a ding or two and maybe dress things up a little. Just wondering if anyone had one and like it.

http://www.dasschild.com/orders.cfm

boxstter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 06:15 PM   #2

I sure wish the previous owner of my box had bought and used these. I have some reverse dings (from the inside out) on both my front hood and rear deck lid.

If you ever travel with luggage in your trunks, this is a great thing to have installed. Go for it!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 11:48 AM   #3

Hi,

I have them on my '99 - came that way from PO. One thing, I am worried about corrosion underneath them due to moisture and Rain/Car Wash runoff. So I do, and highly recommend, cleaning and waxing the Lid underside annually to insure against any problems. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:30 PM   #4

Are these a plastic snap-in shell?
If so I wonder if they will ultimately experience the same problem that occurs with plastic pickup bedliners (Duraliner, and the like). The liner works against the paint and rubs it off, ultimately clear down to the metal.
Better than dings in the lid, though, I suppose.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 06:26 AM   #5

Placed the order yesterday

Well - I went ahead and ordered the set since they were 30% off. I wouldn't think they would act like a truck bedliner since we shouldn't be getting any kind of standing moisture in our trunks - i.e. rain gets under the lip of the liner and then drips down to the bed and sits there since the sun can't evaporate it. I plan to follow MN Boxsters suggestion and take them off every so often - throw on another coat of wax, and enjoy a dressed up compartment with less dent fear.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:08 AM   #6

Before and after pictures, please! And don't forget to take some close ups of where the edges fall inside the trunk lids. I'm real interested in that bit.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:12 AM   #7

They have been around for a few years. Some of the local owners have them. If my memory is correct the original version did rub the paint in the front trunk but the design was changed. There is supposed to a 987 version in the works.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 02:18 PM   #8

Finally got around to installing them

Been a so busy I couldn't take 5 minutes to install my new Das Schild liners. I think they dress up the trunks a bit and although I can see there might be a concern about rubbing I think I may just go run a thin weather stip around the edge. In general I don't think they will mar the paint though. They fit really tight. and it really is a 5 minute install. For the money I like the added protection insurance. Here are some pics.