Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #1
Lover of all things bacon

Soon to be a Porsche owner

New member here. Looks like I may become the owner of a 2005 Boxster S shown here:

Cars for Sale: 2005 Porsche Boxster S in Orange, CA 92868: Convertible Details - 320397490 - AutoTrader.com

I have already test driven the car and am having the PPI done Thursday. It's a little high on mileage and there are no service records with the car. However, I know that it was originally serviced at Beverly Hills Porsche. It drives very well with lots of pull, especially north of 4k rpm. I didn't see any signs of oil leaks or body damage.

It includes navigation package and chrono package (I think - there was a stop watch on the dash). It also has a Magnaflow muffler - that thing will have to go. It sounds very aggressive, but when the RPMs are below 2800 the sound will make me deaf in a week.

The dealer is listing it at $17.9k, but wholesale on these things is around $15k. I will try to get him as close to $16k as I can.

I've been reading over this site and others to gather as much info as I can. I believe based on what I read that the IMB may not be as much of a worry for this model year as earlier cars. But I am prepared for water pump and RMS to be issues. Anything else I should be aware of for this model year?

Thanks for the help and I look forward to seeing you all out on the roads of SoCal.

Les

LesMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:27 AM   #2

No opinions?
Old 06-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #3

I am not sure about the price range on the 987 models but if you are sure that they did the services at beverly porsche I am sure you can call them up and have them tell you the cars service records. Also If you do purchase the car I think they can make you copies of its records if you service the car there. Do you have any other cars that you are looking at?

On top of that check the suspension. The miles don't matter as much as long as the car was properly maintained. High milage means it didn't sit around all day letting things corrode. It also means that the suspension is probably rocked. Along with the motor and trans mounts.

And from all of us welcome to the forum. You will get most of your questions answered here and good guesses as well.
Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #4

Garage
Do not buy the car until it passes the smog check the seller is legally obliged to do to transfer title. If the muffler was not properly installed, (which is difficult to do on 987s) it won't pass smog.Make sure the PPI checks the DME for over revs!
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #5

In fact, the 2005 may have the more problematic single-row IMS bearing (although, at least that bearing can be replaced without an engine tear-down, unlike other 987's with the larger bearing). I would certainly do whatever I could to get the service records, as Bmod suggests. A high mileage car with an excellent service history would be of much less concern than a high mileage car with a questionable service history. It seems to be a buyer's market right now, so take care - at that mileage there are a number of things that could be due for replacement and you must keep in mind that repairs on these cars can be very expensive.

Brad

Last edited by southernstar; 06-06-2013 at 10:44 AM. Reason: error
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #6

I would not buy a 2005 987. I don't like buying the first year of a major re-design. I'd look at 2006 and newer. That's my advice.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #7

Garage
I've also read that the '05 987 was a bit problematic. Maybe in Consumer Reports or something like that. If you're wanting the 987 style go a little newer. Otherwise I'd almost rather have a super-clean 986S, which you could find in that price range pretty easily. Good luck!
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
recycledsixtie

Garage
The above members have excellent comments. I will add my 5 cents worth. I bought a 2001 Boxster base two years ago. It had 30k miles and now have 40k miles. The one you are looking at is a lot newer and has way more miles.

I bought privately so was able to get most of the receipts for work done.
To me if I could not get the receipts info for the work done I might look elsewhere.
Is this the first Boxster you have looked at? If so consider looking at others as it might give you more choice and find a lower mileage one.

Many of the components might be marginal if they have not been changed :
water pump
engine mounts
clutch
rms
ims
AOS
convertible top go up and down?
tires condition
etc etc

Check that all warning lites illuminate before u start the engine particularly the CEL. This is a buyers' market. Do not be in a hurry. Of course get a PPI done.
Check for metal in the oil filter.Read all you can about buying a Boxster. I have bought enough junk in my life by not getting cars checked out professionally.
Please learn from these posts. It can save you $$$$. I prefer buying privately as seller is more flexible and can provide more info. Enjoy the one you choose.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post
The above members have excellent comments.
Amen to that. Study the CarFax report carefully. Do the math.

An independent dealer-offered, high mileage, auction-sold Porsche with NO service records?

No way. Especially at that inflated price.

IMHO, you would be much better off purchasing an older, lower mileage 986 S from a private owner who can supply service records.

They're out there, trust me.

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #10

I have an '05 with the same milage. Mine has been fairly trouble free. Only one AOS years ago and a clutch. Everything else I have replaced has been preventative normal maintenance, or my fault for breaking.

It has the larger non-serviceable IMS too. Unlike what many people claim.

Also what is so hard about the muffler? It's 6 bolts and no cats to worry about on that end.

Any Porsche is a crap-shoot, but if the PPI comes back good don't let these guys scare you off solely because it's a 2005.

-Greg
2009 Triumph Street Triple R - 27K mi - Blazen Orange
1976 Ford F250 camper special - tow vehicle
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #11

Uhhh that car looks real familiar to me. Anyway I love my 05 Boxster S. Love the 986s but like my 987 also very much. Same car just a few better tid bits and faster than all the previous models! Better useless cup holders nicer interior, better headlights and better roll bars. Only thing I hate on the 05 is the radio. But its the same radio on the 04 and maybe 03?

At one point, I felt that having a very early model of the 987 was a big plus becuase the bearing could be upgraded. Now still kind of in between. Give me a first year 987.2 in my price range and I'll be all over it and be done with this Ixx bull kacka.

Anyway get a ppi and enjoy and oh yeah welcome to the forum.
rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #12

Thanks for the opinions. I will be talking with the Indy shop in the morning to get the prognosis on the car.

My only issue with the muffler is at low RPMs the noise is almost ear splitting loud. Otherwise it sounds great. But doing a couple hour drive on the freeway somewhere and the drone will drive me mad. If I end up with the car, I may switch that muffler out for the M2 one from eBay or just go get a used one from a wrecking yard.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:12 AM   #13
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesMurray View Post
Thanks for the opinions. I will be talking with the Indy shop in the morning to get the prognosis on the car.

My only issue with the muffler is at low RPMs the noise is almost ear splitting loud. Otherwise it sounds great. But doing a couple hour drive on the freeway somewhere and the drone will drive me mad. If I end up with the car, I may switch that muffler out for the M2 one from eBay or just go get a used one from a wrecking yard.
Did you get the receipts for past servicing information? If the previous owner did not replace the muffler which I think is a relatively minor item, then what else has not been done in the past?

I would pass on this one unless you get the info but of course it is your decision.
If you proceed with the PPI which entails relatively few $$$ then that is fine.
Find out from the PPI shop what it would cost to fix everything and then if you want to buy it offer asking price minus the cost of repairs. I got $3500 off of the asking price on mine. Conversely you may decide that you do not want it....
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #14

Heard back from the shop doing the PPI. Very clean - no oil leaks, no CELs except a service soon CEL, good compression, brakes and clutch check out. The car passes smog and the exhaust install is clean and well done. He does agree that it is a bit on the loud side, especially at the lower RPMs. There was a CEL for a front light out, but once he cleared that it never came back on. The car does have a cracked front turn indicator, but the light works. No overrevs or air bag deployments. The body and frame have no indications of an accident.

I think based on this check out, I am going to go forward with negotiations. I will plan on a service soon (oil change, plugs, maybe belt) and when the clutch comes up for replacement do the IMS bearing. At 118k miles, that will probably be in another year or so.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #15

Sounds like you are good to go, Les. You are assuming, of course, that the clutch is the original. If not, it could be many more miles before it needs replacing..... I know, with most cars that would be a good thing, but on these it will get you thinking.....

Good luck and good motoring!

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #16

at 118 mi. the clutch could be a second one
Old 06-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #17

Good luck with your negotiating!
Old 06-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #18

Here is another question for everyone:

a 2005 Boxster S or a 1990 Carrera 4 Cabriolet? Both have comparible miles and in similar mechanical and cosmetic condition.

Personally, I like the Boxster a little better because of how it drives and handles. The Carrera interests me because of the air-cooled engine - love that sound - and it also has a rag top.

Shoot away.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #19

Quote:

a 2005 Boxster S or a 1990 Carrera 4 Cabriolet? Both have comparible miles and in similar mechanical and cosmetic condition.

Personally, I like the Boxster a little better because of how it drives and handles. The Carrera interests me because of the air-cooled engine - love that sound - and it also has a rag top.

Shoot away.
Nobody can answer that question for you. They're both great cars in their own right.
Squozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #20
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:

Shoot away.
I think you need to hole up for a while and figure out what you really want.

TO

TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote