Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #1

Roof light stays on

OK my roof light is staying on after the roof is fully open or closed.

This is intermittent, sometimes it goes out, mostly when I close the roof.

The only problem it gives me is that I can't put the windows fully up with the roof open, but I usually have them fully down anyway.

I would like to get rid of the light though, any ideas?

2014 Boxster S GT Silver, Black Full Leather, 20" Classic Carrera Alloys, Sports Seats, Sports Exhaust, Sports Steering Wheel, PASM. TPM, Bose Surround, Ambient Lighting Pack, Front and Rear Park Assist.
1998 Boxster 2.5 Artic Silver/Boxster Red.
MK_Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:26 AM   #2

Garage
I feel bad about it, but I cheated.

I put a couple pieces of duct tape inside the dealy thing where it hooks in. The problem I ran into was every time I would hit a bump, the windows would crack open. This solved my problem. Sounds like yours is similar, but perhaps a bit worse off.

I'm sure non-cheater people could tell you what needs to be replaced or repaired inside that mechanism.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #3

I don't have a problem with the windows opening like that, so I think it must be somewhere else.

This is related to where the clamshell comes down, so there must be a sensor or something in there that is dodgy I suppose.
2014 Boxster S GT Silver, Black Full Leather, 20" Classic Carrera Alloys, Sports Seats, Sports Exhaust, Sports Steering Wheel, PASM. TPM, Bose Surround, Ambient Lighting Pack, Front and Rear Park Assist.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #4

Mine would never shut off so I put a piece of closed cell foam on the clamshell right where the switch hits. Now it shuts off the light every time.

I think over time either the spot where the switch closes moves, or the switch wears out and doesn't close quite as soon as it should.

I havent had any issues.
SolidWorks Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:48 AM   #5

Garage
I thought about this the other day to determine where the problem may lie. Put your top up, but don't latch it. Stick your finger in the latch mechanism and feel the switch thingy. If you push up on the switch (Car thinks the top is closed and engaged) and the light goes out, I would feel safe in assuming your problem is the switch is starting to go bad and possibly wedging something in there may solve the problem temporarily.
If by pressing the switch, the light does not go off... I guess the problem is still the switch, but it would need to be replaced.

I'd rather someone else in the know helped out here as I am just a novice (so far) when it comes to such things.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #6

OK there are two adjusters underneath the clamshell that you can get to with the roof partially open, I moved each of these a couple of clicks and for a short while that solved the problem, or so I thought as it is back again. :-(

It now happens equally when the roof is open or closed, so I am happy that the switch on the roof release is working properly, so the problem lies with the one under the clamshell.

I have looked extensively on this forum and the net, but I cannot see where the down sensor is under the clamshell, can anyone point me in the right direction?