Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2005, 02:50 PM   #1

Question about matching my nuts

The Boxster comes with lug nuts that are "dimpled" or "concave" on the top.

I'm getting wheels that require 17mm spacers on the rear only, and the nuts that I have been shown to fit onto the bolts of the spacers are not dimpled but instead are smooth and convex on the top.

I'm not fixated on the look of my nuts, but like any normal guy, I'd just like my nuts to match.

Does anyone know whether I can get OEM Porsche lug nuts for the wheels without spacers that are convex and not dimpled, or alternatively do you know of nuts that will fit onto the spacers that look like the dimpled, concave lug nuts that come with the car?

SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 04:09 PM   #2

I don't remember if they're dimpled, but there are longer bolts for spacers at http://www.************************************************************ and maybe at http://www.****************************************.com too.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 08:51 AM   #3
bmussatti

SoCal:

What wheels are you getting? Post some pictures ASAP!

Make sure the new, longer, bolts have an anti-theft property to them like the OEM's.

You can always change-out the front bolts so everything matches. But, this would cost you a little more, I know.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:15 PM   #4

The title of this thread cracked me up. Thanks for the larf!
Old 12-23-2005, 01:38 PM   #5

This one’s too good to pass up. Socal, that which you mistakenly refer to in the title of this thread and in the text of your message reside somewhere on your anatomy between your naval and knees and, figuratively speaking, is what people have you by when you are in a jam. Arguably, it is not normal to be fixated on the look of them. I have been told that sometimes they match and sometimes they do not. I have never sought to examine the matter further.

The other to which you intended to refer and in fact do so correctly in your last paragraph, do, when applied with the threshold level of torque, keep wheels on cars and are commonly referred to as lug nuts.

Although they have similar names, it is important not to confuse them as they are not interchangeable.

J/K

Merry Christmas

Last edited by Biz-z Z; 12-23-2005 at 02:02 PM.
Biz-z Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 02:48 PM   #6

These are the wheels I'm getting:

They were offered last on the Boxster in 2004, I believe (or maybe 2002 -- not sure).

They are 18" wheels. I'm getting 8" wide on the front and 9" wide on the rear. The offsets don't match perfectly with the 2006 Boxster.

On the front, without spacers, the wheels will sit 7mm farther out. On the rear, with 17mm spacers, the wheels will sit 8mm wider.

I'll post pictures as soon as I get the wheels, and the clear side lights, etc.

OK, back to "my nuts."

Technically, the 2006 Boxster comes with "lug bolts" not "lug nuts." IOW, the lugs themselves have threaded bolts and fit through the wheels. These Porsche lug bolts visible at the exterior of the wheels are "dimpled" and "concave."

When I have the spacers put on the rear, the spacers will be attached with flat-headed lug bolts, and the spacers themselves have exterior facing bolts that will fit through the wheels and onto which "lug nuts" will attach.

These "lug nuts" that come with the spacers are smooth and convex, not dimpled and concave.

I don't care whether I replace the front or the rear, but I want my nuts to match as closely as possible.

Deliriousga's websites don't seem to have what I'm looking for (or at least, I couldn't find them.)

If all of this is still confusing, I'll post pictures pretty soon.

Thanks to all.

Very happy to be a Boxster owner at long last, and again appreciate all the good advice.

Merry Christmas.

Last edited by SoCal; 12-25-2005 at 12:47 PM.
SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 09:01 AM   #7

I think my right is bigger than my left...I'm not sure. Maybe I should post pictures?
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 12:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
I think my right is bigger than my left...I'm not sure. Maybe I should post pictures?

I was affraid this would happen.