Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2005, 03:43 PM   #1

Unhappy Problems with new 987. Help!!

I wonder if any of you guys can advise me. Ibought a new 987 Boxster S 6 months ago. After 1 day I found that the cd player did not work. I subsequently took it to the dealer and they had to replace the whole PCM module. 2 weeks ago the emission control warning light on my dash came on and the car has been in now for over a week at the dealership. Today they told me the problem is that the timing is off- way off. Now there is potential damage to the engine so they say they will replace it with a new engine. The car is under warranty but my question is: should they not replace the car? What can I demand in the form of compensation? Am I being unreasonable.

kuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:48 PM   #2
olly986

this sound bad sorry for your trouble but if you push hard maybe something might be done, don't know how it works in the state but i guess it will be very hard to get your car replace, maybe you can suggest to the dealer to buy your car back and walk away or reinvest a few $ and get a new one .it seems that you got a duds
Old 12-20-2005, 04:00 PM   #3
bmussatti

kuben, I don't know how the "lemon law" works in other parts of the world. It is too bad that you are having these problems with a new car (any car really).

Have you tried contacting Porsche?
Old 12-20-2005, 04:05 PM   #4

No, Porsche is not required to give you a new car. They are required to fix the car under warranty and since they are installing a new engine, I think they have you and themselves covered.

I think you are being EMOTIONAL and I understand why you would feel this way about a new car going bad. However, getting a new engine is not that bad of a remedy. I assume they will be giving you a free loaner to use while you wait for your new engine.

If not, then THEY are being unreasonable and I would hammer them on that.

In some states there are lemon laws but these laws usually won't help you as they only require the dealer to take the car back IF they can't or won't fix it.

In this case, Porsche is clearly willing to fix the car.

Good luck and Merry Christmas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuben
I wonder if any of you guys can advise me. Ibought a new 987 Boxster S 6 months ago. After 1 day I found that the cd player did not work. I subsequently took it to the dealer and they had to replace the whole PCM module. 2 weeks ago the emission control warning light on my dash came on and the car has been in now for over a week at the dealership. Today they told me the problem is that the timing is off- way off. Now there is potential damage to the engine so they say they will replace it with a new engine. The car is under warranty but my question is: should they not replace the car? What can I demand in the form of compensation? Am I being unreasonable.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 04:13 PM   #5

Thanks Brucelee. I guess I am pretty upset. However the loaner car is a VW golf and this is a far cry from a porsche. I also wondered- does having a replacement engine reduce the value of my car?
Old 12-20-2005, 04:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuben
Thanks Brucelee. I guess I am pretty upset. However the loaner car is a VW golf and this is a far cry from a porsche. I also wondered- does having a replacement engine reduce the value of my car?
In my opinion, no at this point, it does not.

Stay cool, this really does sound like a fluke to me. Normally, the box engine is pretty tough customer.

Old 12-20-2005, 04:21 PM   #7
olly986

hi kuben didn't realized you are in uk, it is a disgrace to give you a vw considering the problems you are having and i would most definetely complain about this, any porsche will do while yours is being repaired, bring the vw back and get it sorted, i can garantee you that if you have a car the dealer wants to sale he will get his upmost to get yours back on road as quickly as possible, this is a brand new 987 after all!!
Old 12-20-2005, 04:30 PM   #8
bmussatti

I second olly986's and brucelee's comments.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:05 AM   #9
PAH

Hi Kuben

Which Porsche dealership is this? It's not Porsche Centre Chester at Cheshire Oaks is it? They always give VWs as loan cars because the guy who owns the dealership also owns Corkhills VW in Liverppol.

I know other OPCs in the UK have Porsche loan cars.

I'm not sure, but I would say contact PCGB and tell them your concerns about potential loss of value due to the engine change. They are ususally very helpful - I certainly had a lot of help when I was sorting my dual-mass-flywheel problems.

The e-mail address is customer.assistance@porsche.co.uk

Cheers

Paul
PAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 09:25 AM   #10

Well, from what you said the engine didn't go bad it was the computer that adjusted the timing for the engine. In essence it was a fantastic new motor until the computer changed up the timing so poorly that it ruined the motor.

You have a NEW car, NEW motor, and a ****************ty (can I say that?) loaner car. The Golf is a far cry from a Porsche, I mean they could have helped you out with at least a R32 GTI.

KRZ
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:12 AM   #11

Just been told that it is the camshaft that needs to be replaced. Apparently engine block is fine. Have to wait for part to arrive from Germany. Could take another week. Contacted customer services in Germany and they are looking into it. Should I not ask for the warranty to be extended? Have heard of a few cases were this happened and that is a potential option.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:20 AM   #12

My friend's C6 Corvette had an oil pump failure at 6000 miles. GM would only replace the cam and cam bearings, saying the engine looked fine. We saw the engine and there was definitely more than just 6000 miles worth of wear on it.

My friend had to fight GM pretty hard. In the end, they still refused to give him a new motor, but they did give him a 100,000 mile extended warranty and pay for one month of his car payment.

I'd say they owe you something, especially if they're just going to replace a cam. That's not right.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 12:16 PM   #13

MMmmmm.. that's kinda messed up. I would be happy with the new motor, which sounds like your not getting. You should definitely ask for a free extended warranty as eslai posted below.

KRZ

Last edited by KRZTACO; 12-21-2005 at 12:19 PM.
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 12:32 PM   #14

You won't get unless you ask!

Good luck

Old 12-21-2005, 01:15 PM   #15

definitely ask.
you had options and went with Porsche. Now you've got to devote your own time to fixing problems created by the big profitable Porsche company. Fixing your car is not enough if they want to keep the public's trust in the reliability level Porsche has achieved.

I'd ask for Porsche drving school comp.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 01:25 PM   #16
bmussatti

I'd ask too. Most everything is negotiable.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:15 AM   #17
olly986

the cam shaft should come under a new warranty but still this is not really acceptable for the engine, try to get the extended porsche garantee for a couple of years free, i know here it cost around €900 per year and nearly everything is covered, if they are so sure that there is no problem with your engine then it will cost them nothing, just a piece of paper if on the other hand they are not ready to give it to you, well that's another story!
Old 12-22-2005, 07:20 AM   #18

Garage
I'm suprised that...

Porsche has opted to let the dealer replace the cam rather than replace the engine.

There have been numerous posts on Boxster boards of component failures--the RMS in particular--where new cars have had the complete engine replaced rather than get into fixing parts.

I'n curious if anyone else here with a 987 has had an engine replacement because of a component failure or if they've done the fix at the dealer.
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 11:15 AM   #19

I have written to MD of Porsche in England and Germany and expressed my concerns.Also copied letter to dealer. Not prerpared to let this go. Feel I have been duped. Dealer called me this afternoon (5:30 pm) with the news that he had just been on to Porsche Germany and they informed him part would arriive tomorrow or Saturday. BUT- Porsche GB customer service called me at 11:15 am and told me exactly the same thing. Do these guys think I am stupid? I think they are just stalling because it is the Xmas period and they do want want to undertake a 6 hour job just before they get off on their hols.
Guess I am being petty but I am just so mad. It has been 2 weeks since I last used my car!!