Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #1

Water pump? Updated/resolved... I hope lol

Driving to a beer tasting... .... The Temp light starts to flash, and the temp is betwix the "8 and 0" (real scientific i know...) I semi recently had the 2 front radiators replaced, so i just assumed it was running a bit low on coolant. When i get there (no more than 15 mins of driving) right behind the rear pass wheel, it is a friggen ole faithful of coolant! just gushing it self like no more tomorrow.

I had read the recent slew of threads about water pumps and have been uber paranoid and would always check to see if water was leaking anywhere anytime i drove it.
never saw a drop.
Realizing that this looked like a for sure water pump/broken hose I proceeded to go drink
the next morning, I went back to the car to re asses the situation. It took about 1.5 gallons of distilled water. started up and I drove her home! 100% highway driving with heat on high and lower RPMs being it early in the morn it was a cooler day out, but the temp this time went to normal "early/mid 8" and no flashing light.

I assumed it was due to me trying to keep it as cool as possible...
Got home ordered the Duralast and got her up on the stands.
I dont feel any play in the belt, and underneath the beast all i see is what I imagine is an overflow/ catch can hose right where the geyser occurred???
its the wet hose below

am I missing a catch can? WTF was with the geyser followed by 100% normal performance?
Any thoughts? or a more scientific procedure to test the WP without pulling and looking at the impeller?

edit: no signs of coolant explosion on front of engine. Rad cap is tight and secure....
Thanks all
SC

Last edited by ccstud17; 05-10-2013 at 07:20 AM.
ccstud17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #2

There will be no catch can unless you supply your own empty.
The coolant overflow will dump anything the comes out of the bleeder valve or coolant cap. The cap has a history of failing. Check the part number on yours and see if the last numbers are .04 which is the latest revision. Just because it is tight doesn't mean that it is sealing. I'm guessing that you may have had an air pocket from the radiator replacement that wasn't purged correctly.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:47 PM   #3

Im at 60k miles so I kind of want to finish the WP replace, but am super worried it will be the typical murphy's law install. grrr choices lol.
If it does not end in 4 i need to update the cap asap?
Old 05-07-2013, 01:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccstud17 View Post
If it does not end in 4 i need to update the cap asap?
Only if it is leaking. Just order one the next time you get some parts. They aren't too expensive online.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/41797-coolent-leak.html
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #5

I posted a complete hose & clamp list for when I replaced my water pump. I bought the pump and hoses at ****************************************************.com. All OEM parts. Mine is working great now, but found I still have a ballast resistor to replace on the driver side fan. I also recommend the uView Airlift 550000 vacuum accessory to fill your cooling system. No air bubbles to worry about that way.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:19 AM   #6

update;
So after getting in there and taking the pump off....
My original pump was fine, bearing was good, vanes were all intact, but I still replaced it with the new Duralast with its metal impeller. (thanks to AK for doing the research on that!)

Glad I did this though, cause look at the shape of my old belt?!?! replaced it immediately!!!!

Super easy install, I wouldnt recommend the Pedro method of dropping the front engine mount, the pelican way was very easy, and I have pretty big hands and easily reached that PITA bolt.
slowly been running the bubbles out of the system, if you can swing it, im sure that vacuum makes life much easier!
It really is a very easy install, i liked it better than the WP install on my 69 jeep, as my knuckles were not cheese grated by the radiator!
the most annoying part of it all, was my helper. She figured out I couldnt move very fast,so my face was constantly licked... oh so helpful
Old 05-11-2013, 05:18 AM   #7
Homeboy981

Garage
ccstud,

Good to have a helper! He looked just as concerned as you did!

Regarding the belt, check the idler pulleys (upper and a little lower than upper). It looks like something is eating that belt. May not be limited to just the WP. Good call on replacing it anyway. Mine looked good too, but why take a chance!

Bleeding takes time. TIP: Do not put a jug of water in the trunk (a.k.a. Pizza oven) to use to refill the coolant tank. I cam out one day and had my trunk soaked when the jug broke! It was tied up too…just cannot handle the G forces our little car puts out!

No harm done. A day in the sun and she was fine again. I just did not want to not have water for the next 'burp' that occurred (seemed like it took a week).