Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2005, 06:23 AM   #1
JDM

Sway bar links/suspension noise

I have a noise coming from the rear and the front both sides of the car which seems to get worse as the car heats up after driving a while - it's most noticeable at low speeds and when I hit a road break or a speed bump. I have made my research to PCA.ORG and according to similar cases mentioned in the site

" The number one cause of suspension noise are bad sway bar links "

Now my questions are as follows :

a ) if has anyone until now have a similar noise problem and solve it after the replacement of the sway bar links or another suspension part .
b) Should i take the opportunity to change something else also now on the suspension system except of the sway bar links.

thanks.
JDM

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:58 AM   #2

I had a similar problem, but it was a lower control arm on the front driver's side. Made a lot of squeaking noises and got worse as the car was used longer. There many causes for noises in the suspension. Get it checked out by an experienced mechanic to be sure.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:43 AM   #3

If it's the links, see if there are adjustable ones for the Boxster. I'm hoping for the stiffer bar and adjustable links for Christmas for the 928. With adjustables, you can set the ride to stiffer or softer depending on how you're driving it.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 06:48 AM   #4
PAH

I just had all 4 lower control arms repalced on my 2002 Boxster S at 35,000 miles. This is because the rubber bushes are rubbish, and start to squeak. This gets worse and worse, and ends up driving you mad!

Problem is that the bushes themselves cannot be replaced - the whole control arm needs changing. Therefore some chunk of rubber worth about £3 ends up costing you £150 because you have to buy the whole thing. Multiply this by 4, then include fitting, and this squeak starts getting expensive.

The good thing is that Porsche know that this is a problem, and I got a contribution from Porsche, as well as my dealership, to help with the replacement costs.

It is still annoying though on an expenisive car like this.
PAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 07:52 AM   #5

I had a terrible rattle in the front suspension when I would go over bumps/rail road tracks/etc. It turned out to be the front sway bar links. Not too bad price wise and within 15 minutes, no more rattle. It also tightened up the feel of the suspension.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAH
The good thing is that Porsche know that this is a problem, and I got a contribution from Porsche, as well as my dealership, to help with the replacement costs.
My dealer quote $850 USD for parts and labor, contributing only snikers and quiet laughter that they were about to sucker yet another new Porsche owner.

Hans replaced it for $300 parts and labor after work the next evening. In fact, it was at this dealership visit that I met Hans and discovered he could do my repairs for less than half the cost of the dealership.

This reminds me... I need to buy him a nice Christmas gift. Lord knows he's saved me thousands in repairs this year alone!

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote