Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2005, 12:57 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
EVO Chip for 2.5L

Does anyone on this board have any expierence with the EVO chip on a 2.5L Boxster? Would it play nice with my K & N Air Filter? Could giving the car more power shorten my clutch life?

Old 12-14-2005, 05:00 AM   #2

Are you running the stock muffler still? If so, i would first swap out your muffler to an aftermarket muffler that will flow more. With the K&N filter, you have more air coming in, so you need it leave leave efficiently as well. The stock muffler is going to restrict that. After the muffler, then i would do a GIAC flash tune, as now that the airflow is coming and leaving at a greater velocity, it is time to play with the timing and injector pulse width (ECU flash). At that point you will see about a 15hp/11tq gain with the flash. The flash is bulletproof.

edit: And no it will not shorten the life of your clutch at all, the horsepower gains are low in comparison. We haven't even changed a clutch on our supercharged cars yet that picked up 100rhwp.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:32 AM   #3

Hi,

The main issue with the 2.5 is the lack of displacement, no easy cure for that. I question the HP gains mentioned, they are definitely optimistic. Even if they are accurate, it's much more important to compare the Power and Torque curves.

Re-Chipping and Flashing often change these to the point where the gains exist in an unusable part of the Curve, usually at the Top End (where you don't really spend much time at all). And, these gains are often accompanied by a corresponding drop in other parts of the curve, usually in the Mid-Ranges (where you will spend most of your time). This could result in a car which actually has less power for you to actually use. And, since you have less power in the Mid-Ranges, you'll need to give it more pedal than you did before in Day-to-Day driving which you'll feel at the Pump as your MPG takes a hit.

Finally, the gains on the 2.5 Boxster are so minimal (5%-10%, with 10% being VERY questionable), that it's debatable whether it's really worth the Time and Expense.

If you want a Boxster with more shoulders, you're probably better off in the Long Run Trading Up to the 2.7L or 3.2L. The cost of a Flash, Chip, and/or Exhaust would make a nice start toward this.

The 2.5 is what it is, namely the Original Design with Great Handling, Style and a cut above the Miata. Try to make it more, and you'll be sure to be making compromises, including with your Wallet. Of course, as usual, just my humble $0.02...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:55 AM   #4

I've inquired about chip mods for my 1997 as well, and was told they're not available because I don't have an e-gas model of the boxster. So I'm just enjoying my stock engine, intake and exhaust.

I have thought of changing out the intake though, if not for anything else, a better sounding engine. Did your K&N Air Filter set off your CE light or screw up your MAF?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 12:03 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I've inquired about chip mods for my 1997 as well, and was told they're not available because I don't have an e-gas model of the boxster. So I'm just enjoying my stock engine, intake and exhaust.

I have thought of changing out the intake though, if not for anything else, a better sounding engine. Did your K&N Air Filter set off your CE light or screw up your MAF?
It was installed at 30K and my car now has 53k and nothing has gone wrong. Almost all the issues with K & N air filters related to over oiling it. So as long as you order a new one and make sure no oil is dripping off of it you will be fine. I highly recommend just ordering a new one instead of cleaning the old one,just because its alot more cheap then a new MAF. It helped the throttle response a little,but I wouldnt say it gained on the butt dyno. I say the lovely touch it adds to the exhaust is well worth the money on its own.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:13 PM   #6

I would consider spending the money on moving to an S. I upgraded from a 2.7L to and S and it's night and day, not just power, but overall handling and braking.

Then if want more hp, then mod the S.
Factory side skirts
18" turbo look wheels
Painted roll bars and centre console
Alumimum shifter and handbrakes
Litronic lights
B&M short shifter
Evo air intake
Turbo look bumper with C4S lip
Borla muffler
2nd Cat bypass pipes
nastyboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:07 AM   #7

Blinkwatt-

After seeing a couple of your past threads I realized you are just dying for a bit more power. It's not worth the money to add "performance" products to these cars. Unless all your looking for is a better sound. Search and you will find many, many people who have tried everything under the sun and have LOST power! MNBoxster hits it on the nose...save the money and pick up an "S". Good luck!

BTW-Even after purchasing an "S" model I still wouldn't spend any more money on mods. A Porsche is a picky car. Mess with it and you will pay...big!
Old 12-15-2005, 09:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyboxster
I would consider spending the money on moving to an S.
Some of us don't have a spare $10k or more in the bank to "move up to an S" as you suggest.

We have to play with the toys in our toybox until further notice and try to be happy with small tweaks in performance and sound quality.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 07:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour

De-snorkel your Boxster (if you haven't already) and replace the stock paper filter with one from BMC and you should hear more sound from the engine and notice a small improvement in throttle response. It's a way cheaper than a new intake and the best part is you can easily put the stock filter and snorkel back if you don't like it.

I have been using a BMC filter on my '98 for quite a while now with no CEL / MAF problems at all. BMC doesn't over-oil their filters like K&N sometimes does. I love the louder growl from the engine at full throttle - definitely music to my ears.
TMM986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 07:01 PM   #10
creseida

I've done the K&N, mostly because I needed a new air filter anyways and a friend of mine who works on German imports recommended it.

Can someone tell me (in detail please) exactly what you mean by "desnorkeling" the 2.5L and what benefits one gets from this? Any problems resulting from doing this that I should be aware of?

Thanks
Old 12-19-2005, 08:48 AM   #11

Can someone tell me (in detail please) exactly what you mean by "desnorkeling" the 2.5L and what benefits one gets from this? Any problems resulting from doing this that I should be aware of?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

No problems to be aware of - de snorkeling is removing the tube connected to the airbox that reduces the intake sound for European noise levels. It doesn't necessarily increase airflow but it will sound a bit louder. Here's a link to step-by-step instructions with photos.

http://www.porscheboy.5u.com/desnork.htm

The hardest part is removing the grill on the intake without damaging it.

TMM986 is offline   Reply With Quote