Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2005, 11:51 PM   #1

How reliable is your Boxster?

Hi to all, the title above might have been discussed here numerous times but lately all I've been reading are horrible stories about ownership of Boxster especially older ones. I was just wondering if you guys can tell the pleasant side of ownership on a maintenance point of view. Lets start off with mine, is a 1997, bought about 8 months ago with 35k miles, drive the car about 1-2 times per week 1/3 of the time with the top down. So far so good, everything seems to work fine as it should. I did the 30k mile maintenance myself 2 weeks later when I got it. I got the car from a small car dealership, did a little research about the car and I did not do any PPI because the first time I saw the car, I was amazed how clean it was for it's age so I assumed that the car was properly maintained from inside out (very risky decision), secondly, I ask the salesperson where the car is usually parked and he pointed where it was sitting, look underneath and found no oil on the pavement, did a little test drive and took it home the next day. So far the only thing I can find wrong with it is oil perspiring on the right top most part of the engine, other than that, there is none except for the "annoying engine noise" (as we all love to hear) as described by my lady friend, from then on, I always use my '94 Honda Civic whenever she rides with me .

Called dealership about history of the car, was serviced maybe 3 times (as far as I can remember) major concern being was clearing of check engine light, unable to specify what was faulty. Anyway, its been trouble free as of this time and enjoying every minute of driving the car. Calling the 100k miler out there....

pecto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 05:43 AM   #2

You are off to a good start indeed.

One recommendation I would make.

Change oil AND filter at 7500 miles, not 15000 as manual recommends.

Best of luck!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:55 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply yes, that's what I'm intending to do.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecto3
... other than that, there is none except for the "annoying engine noise" (as we all love to hear) as described by my lady friend, from then on, I always use my '94 Honda Civic whenever she rides with me .

Sell the Honda and get a new lady friend!
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 04:56 PM   #5

My boxster has been extremely reliable. 15k and several auto-x events later and I haven't seen my dealer since it left the lot over 2 yrs ago. I haven't even had minor problems. So far it has been as reliable as a wood burning stove. Hopefully I'll have many more trouble free miles to come.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:19 PM   #6

how reliable...

Well, I'll add my 2-cents worth. I purchased my 2001 2.7/Tip almost 2 years ago, certified, from Porsche of Oakland. It had 42,000 miles on it. I was able to obtain copies of all of the service orders on it. The biggest item was replacement of one of the drive cables for the top. It now has 55,000 miles. The only thing that has gone wrong with it is replacement of one O2 sensor under warranty. The first owner used 15W-50 Syntec. I am using 0w-40 Mobil 1. The engine has the very minor weeps (sweating?), but no drips, that one would expect from any engine. In fact, the exterior of the engine can be considered to be dry. The steering and handling are just amazing, almost telepathic. The brake pedal has minimal play or "sponginess", the best of any car I've owned. Freeway mileage at 75-80 is in the high 20s. I'm considering moving up to a Carrera but the Boxster is so damn good, tough decision.

FWIW, I can get a 2004 CPO M3 for the same cost as a 2002 non-CPO Carrera. Another tough decision.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:40 AM   #7

So far so good

I have an 01 Boxster w/just 15k miles. But so far not a single problem. I remember reading somewhere that Porsches in general are quite reliable cars.
bnavani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:18 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
'99 with 52k on it. At 22k the RMS was redone,although with all flat water cooled Porsches that has been a issue. At 25k the document from the dealer reported the clutch slipping and chattering so the dealership took a look and it has some blue residue and they replaced with a new clutch kit. Other then that there has not been a single issue.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:55 PM   #9

After just $5,500 in repairs, my boxster is very reliable. Doh!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 03:02 PM   #10

1999 with zero repairs. But the top has an issue when it is closed.

Any thoughts?
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 03:58 PM   #11

MY 2000 with 72K miles.

So far so good with the only non-maintenance being one O2 sensor under warranty, replaced a cracked coolant reservoir, oil separator and idler rollers DIY. Next is an alternator rebuild.

It's been an awesome ride!
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 05:04 PM   #12

7000 km (about 4000 miles).

The only problem was brake pads causing clunking and squeeking sound. It was fixed by dealer but otherwise everything is perfect. Boxsters run like a champ!
Old 12-06-2005, 11:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
1999 with zero repairs. But the top has an issue when it is closed.

Any thoughts?
burn that picture.
THE BOXSTER IS NOT A CHICK CAR!
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 12:01 PM   #14

I have a 2001 S with 45k miles. I had the cats replaced under fed emissions warranty last month. At the same time I had a wheel bearing replaced. Those have been the only issues with the car to date. I have owned the car since August and I have all of the previous records. Other than the above mentioned repairs the car has only been in for regular maintenance.
indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 08:31 PM   #15

thanks for the reply guys, keep em coming...

toolpants, you sure do got a lot of pictures for almost everything.

yes 70sixter, I'm selling the Honda, hard to replace the lady friend though...probably a set of ear plugs will be a good x-mas gift for her...

btw, I did not see a trace of oil between the engine and transmission...I guess not yet...
Old 12-11-2005, 12:29 AM   #16

Hi! Drove the boxster this last Friday for approx 100 miles, coolant reservoir showed maybe 5 mm depletion of coolant. Has been a steady loss of 1 or 2 mm from the expansion tank when driving around town. Im sure someone have experienced this, I hope a simple remedy would be a cap replacement or am I due for an expansion tank replacement. TIA.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:44 AM   #17
fab

Perfectlap,

What's wrong with a women driving her "own" Boxster? I absolutely love it.
Nice pic toolpants? That's not always the case. LOL....

Fab
00 Boxster Blk/Blk
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 08:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecto3
Hi! Drove the boxster this last Friday for approx 100 miles, coolant reservoir showed maybe 5 mm depletion of coolant. Has been a steady loss of 1 or 2 mm from the expansion tank when driving around town. Im sure someone have experienced this, I hope a simple remedy would be a cap replacement or am I due for an expansion tank replacement. TIA.
Pull up your carpet in the back trunk as well as the plywood base and look for coolant puddling up on the metal. If this is the case, then you need to inspect it and see if it's a loose clamp, cracked hose or the expansion tank itself.

Mine was a little low and I put in some distilled water (just a little) and never had a problem since, so it's worth watching and checking out, but not fretting over.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 10:42 AM   #19

2000S Problems so far and fixed under extended warranty:

1)Replaced CV Boots
2)Replaces valve cover gasket seal
3)Replaced MAF
4)Replaced clutch pedal
5)Replaced 3 O2 Sensors
6)Replaced oil filler tube

So...nothing real major. Although every time I think I have a problem the car is taken to the dealership to take advantage of the exteneded warranty I purchased.

BTW- I have had the car for 1 1/2 years and have added 15,000 miles during this time. The CV boots and valve cover gasket seal were problems already noted on the car prior to purchase. Total mileage on my car- 53,000.

Last edited by xclusivecar; 12-11-2005 at 10:45 AM.
xclusivecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab
Perfectlap,

What's wrong with a women driving her "own" Boxster? I absolutely love it.
Nice pic toolpants? That's not always the case. LOL....

Fab
00 Boxster Blk/Blk
Everyone knows that Ken's Car! but he's out with skipper! (uh that's Barbie's little sister by the way). Barbie drives the Merc roadster.

Have had my 2000 S for 13,000 miles now (10,000 when I stole it).
repairs:

windshiled wiper blades
parking brake switch $4 BUT labor $100!

Routine stuff:
alignment
oil and filter, top down inspection

and yes the new cabin and air filter are STILL stiing in the trunk.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote