Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #21
Damn Yankee

Garage
No one in my neighborhood is going to copy me. I live In the Dallas suburb of Mesquite, where gun shows, the rodeo, and big-ass pickup trucks rule.

TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #22
Custom User Title Here

Garage
My neighbor has taken a special interest in my car since he moved in a few months ago. He traded his pickup for this over the weekend.

Cute...my girlfriend has that one

Old 04-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #23

Iwant an ambulance now! Actually I live so far in the woods that nobody even knows I m here let alone want to copy me
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
My neighbor has taken a special interest in my car since he moved in a few months ago. He traded his pickup for this over the weekend.

I heard that he is going to plasti-dip his wheels, black out the side scoops and paint his brakes green.

Guess that makes you "Mr. Jones"?!

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #25

Quote:

Ha! Cute car, too bad that damn thing can't actually turn.

How do those American car dealerships find test drive roads without any turns? I test drove one of those, got up to 55 mph in a block, but then had to slow down to 17 mph to make the turn. Ridiculous!

That's why NASCAR is just a bunch of guys turning ever-so-gently left for hours on end.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #26
Carnut

Good topic, but I want to hear the story why you don't like your neighbor

In our hood we are the only with 2 pcars, all others have pickups, minivans or BMWs (big Mormon wagon).
Old 04-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #27
Damn Yankee

Garage
Different strokes for different folks.

Some "car people" get as much satisfaction and pleasure from their Mustangs, SUVs, Jeeps, big-ass pickups, 'Vettes or whatever, as we get from our Porsches.

No reason to invoke the "Joneses" rule here. That just makes us appear snobbish.

But that's me, and I'm just sayin'.................

Last edited by TeamOxford; 04-22-2013 at 03:34 PM. Reason: spelling
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post
We are "THOSE PEOPLE" on our block. We used to have a motocross track in our back (5 acre) yard. My MX buddies came from all over to ride. We used to have our neighbors standing at the fence watching. A few even brought their horses over…to get them used to loud noises. Doc said no more MX. I took up flying and the neighbors hated that, wife didn't like it either, so it was short-lived.

Now I play guitar and drums - and no one comes around….except when I fire up the Pcar! By then, I'm gone!

I have not kept up with them, I have LAPPED the Jonses!
Why would your neighbors care about you flying? Flying is my escape from worldly troubles, nothing else disconnects me from all the BS on the ground the way taking to the air does. If my neighbors had an issue with it, I'd tell them to pound sand. It took me decades to find a girl that understands my aviation sickness, but I knew that I'd never last in a marriage with a partner that didn't get it...
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #29

Garage
I like Mrs. Jones. Does that count ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teOM9y-dV7s
Old 04-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #30

My neighbors might try to steal my Boxster, but I'm pretty sure they'd never go out and buy one!
RedTele58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #31

The only thing I'm Jones-ing for is to get my Boxster out of winter storage and start driving it again!
Old 04-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #32

Quote:

Which one, the Pony car or the Patrol car??
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #33

The closest I had to friends/neighbors "keeping up with the Joneses" was in High School (77-79). We all had to have something "fast", but we never copied the same vehicle.

One friend bought a 74 Roadrunner, one got an brand-new RX-7 from his parents for his 18th birthday, another bought a 65 Mustang convertible, I bought a 69 Camaro, one bought a 62 T-Bird, one bought a 67 Charger, one bought a Pontiac GTO and one bought an Olds 442.

The only other similarity is that all were "project" cars needing body work and paint job except the new RX-7.

BTW the guy who got the RX-7 is an autocross racer.

I doubt anybody in my neighborhood would buy a Boxster. Most could afford it, but it isn't a popular car in WI. I've seen less than a dozen different Boxsters in the entire Milwaukee area in the past year.

DBear
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #34

Great topic.
My neighbor across the street moved into his house about 1 years ago. I was trying to be neighborly and walked over to welcome him and his wife to the neighborhood. My next door neighbor came with me. As we approached to say hello he just ignored us. His wife walks by and did the same thing. All we tried to do was say hello. After about 1 minute we looked at each other and we just shook our heads and walked away.

I've never spoken to that neighbor again untill last year when he approached me and came over while i was in the garage playing around with my cars.

He bought a 2000 Boxster S and wanted to show it to me. Now we wave and talk to each other several times a week.

Not quite keeping up with the joneses but close enough.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:26 AM   #35

I paid $56k for my in-town home 25 years ago. All the shoeboxes built and sold near me on my street now are selling for a half million (which ain't cheap for a 2000 sq. ft. House in Houston). When I open my garage and drive out a BMW 550 or a Boxster, the young guys living nearby must think, "Sheesh. Considering my mortgage payments, I'll never own cars that nice."

And then they get their live-in girlfriend or wife pregnant and that's the last nail in the coffin for a sports car for 20 years... And they will move to the burbs where the schools don't suck.

I guess the burbs are where the Jones' live.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #36

Garage
I guess my neighborhood is pretty diversified. No two cars or trucks alike. However living in Kansas it's very common to see 50k$ + trucks every day. One of my best friends' wife is a high school principal. She bought a new 330xi awhile back. One of her teachers was giving her a hard time about it (with the budget strains and all)... her reply was awesome: "I bought the bmw because I couldn't afford a loaded out Tahoe".... (that's what the teacher giving her a hard time drove)..
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:30 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MConte05 View Post
I bought an ambulance to tow my race car (not a porsche, subaru!) and a few months later, an electrician down the street from me bought a nicer ambulance!

Ugh.

There's a sentence you don't hear very often!
Old 04-24-2013, 07:32 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffinhunter View Post
I get a few "girl car" comments from the people at work, but whenever we go to lunch they prefer to ride with me.....:dance:

As for more showing up in the neighborhood, I don't see it. I actually wish a few more would show up, then maybe a good shop would open up closer. I hate the thought of driving into Tampa for service I know I can trust.
Do you go to Eibell? During the '80's, he had all our money, it was like tithing to the Porsche God.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyA6 View Post
Good topic, but I want to hear the story why you don't like your neighbor

In our hood we are the only with 2 pcars, all others have pickups, minivans or BMWs (big Mormon wagon).
Let's just say she likes her husband so she thinks everyone else does too. As if.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
Different strokes for different folks.

Some "car people" get as much satisfaction and pleasure from their Mustangs, SUVs, Jeeps, big-ass pickups, 'Vettes or whatever, as we get from our Porsches.

No reason to invoke the "Joneses" rule here. That just makes us appear snobbish.

But that's me, and I'm just sayin'.................
Of course we're snobbish, we are better than them. We have Porsches.

JK