Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2005, 03:00 PM   #1

Front emblem flew off.

So I'm showing a cousin my Boxster S and at about 90MPH, I saw what I thought was a leaf blowing up over the hood. When we parked, I saw that the front Porsche emblem had blown off. Anybody know where to get a replacement and how much money? Thanks.

Old 12-11-2005, 03:08 PM   #2
bmussatti

Call Suncoast's parts department tomorrow morning when they re-open- 877-293-1700. You may want to order a silver one this time.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:20 PM   #3
bmussatti

The gold one's part number is 986 559 211 01. Should be less than $50.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:35 PM   #4
bmussatti

Obvoiusley, there are a bunch on E-bay too! Mke sure you get a new rubber seal too, that probably flew away with the emblem.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:01 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to jiggysubman
the 986online.com site sells em for 50 something. I had to replace mine too.
jiggysubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:08 AM   #6

Yes...support our forum sponsors
rkwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 07:53 AM   #7

Thanks, I ordered today through 986online.com. I wish they had photos of the products, though.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:48 AM   #8

Good lord...this is the first I've ever heard of a hood emblem just blowing off on any car, let alone a Porshe. How does this happen on a 50k automobile?

That's sad....just freakin sad. Not to mention that emblem is weighty enough to make a nice projectile at 90mph, glad it didn't hit anyone.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:53 AM   #9

Very odd! One thing about these emblems is that they are bolted to the hood. There's no reason for it to fly off. Did you go to the dealership and tell them what happened? I wouldn't doubt that they'd replace it under warranty, as there's no reason for it to come off.

If you do put it back on yourself, might I suggest some lock-tite?
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:29 AM   #10

Thanks, Eric. I'm wondering if somebody had tried to pry it off as a souvenir and loosened it.

One never knows, do one?
Old 12-12-2005, 12:52 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by slogans7
Thanks, Eric. I'm wondering if somebody had tried to pry it off as a souvenir and loosened it.

One never knows, do one?
My thoughts exactly.....They are very very easy to just pull off... Im on my third one (First two were takin while still in high school...damn kids)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 03:29 PM   #12

Hrmmmm really? Maybe it's different on the 987 then because I can't see any way for anyone to just pry it off!
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:34 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
Hrmmmm really? Maybe it's different on the 987 then because I can't see any way for anyone to just pry it off!

They all go on the same way i believe...Two pins drop into the inside of the trunk with fasteners on the inside.
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 05:34 AM   #14

Hi,

The OEM Emblem is really quite cheaply made. The Base is just cast with two Threaded Pins. These threads are not cut into the Pins, they are cast in and not very deeply. They attach using an 8mm Nuts stamped out of sheetmetal and none too strong. It's quite easy to over-torque these Nuts, in which case, they bend and do a poor job of grabbing the Cast-Threaded Pins. I can quite easily imagine wind getting under one and ripping the emblem off.

That said, a Vandal can easily pry off the emblem without damaging the Hood excessively and this may, in fact, be the whole purpose to the very rickety system.

Using Locktite as suggested would most likely do no good. So far as the Rubber Gasket, this is designed to prevent water from running behind the Emblem and becoming trapped causing corrosion to the hood. But, there is a large circular cut-out in this Gasket to accomodate the attachment Pins. As such, it actually allows water to pool underneath it. Be sure to remove the Emblem (using an 8mm Nut Driver) each time you Detail and Wax the Car to clean and protect the area of the Hood underneath. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 01:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbth
MNBoxster :Jim , I have missed your input on this forum , where have you been?
Hi,

Yes, I've been absent the past few weeks. My comp died and then we left for a 3-week vacation to Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina.

Spent a week at SawGrass in Jacksonville Beach, where Mrs. MNBoxster spent a couple hours each day at the PGA Offices planning next year's Tour and World Golf Association events (she runs 'em).

Then we drove up the coast and spent 5 days in Savannah at the Olde Harbour Inn on Factor's Walk, then further up to Charleston where we spent 8 days at the Planter's Inn at the Market. Generally, a lot of Great Food, Wonderful Wine and miscellany Decadence.

Had an exceptional time, still... it's good to be home...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 05:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
You may want to order a silver one this time.
If you are thinking that you might want a silver hood crest, you should get one soon.

According to both the Newport Beach Porsche dealer and Wheel Enhancement in LA, Porsche has cracked down on anyone refinishing and selling the OEM crest in silver. The Porsche dealer had a silver crest in stock but had to pull it from the parts department. Apparently Porsche thinks the crest should be gold plated only and will not authorize silver substitutes.

SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote