Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #1

A trail of water drips when I back out of the garage

When ever I back out of the garage, I can see a little trail of drips. My coolant level is holding steady, and it looks like it is clean water. Now that I have moved to FL (from NC) it seems to be increasing, and I am wondering if it is condensation from the AC?

On my other cars the AC condensation drips down to the ground at the front of the vehicle, but I guess I am not sure where the AC unit is on the Boxster, and it never seems to pool any water after a drive where the AC was running. Maybe it is collecting somewhere and then dissipating when I start to drive?

Before I go down the rabbit hole looking for leaks I wanted to see if AC condensation might be the solution?

Thanks

Steve

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:08 AM   #2

Garage
Steve,

Quick question, since your move, is your garage or driveway on a donward slope?

Do you still get the trail if you revers in and then drive out?
Old 04-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #3

Garage
From one Steve to another, check the rear trunk for any moisture. Could be the coolant tank. I've read about this gremlin many times, and know it has happened in the history of my Boxster.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #4

The garage has a very slight slope up so the Boxster is very slightly nose high. My NC garage was the same way.

My coolant tank very consistently reads at just below the minimum. I added a few cups of distilled water some time back, and I think it immediately went back down to the previous mark. I need to get a flashlight to check.

There is some dampness at the left of back trunk... but I think it is because I took a shower hose to Home depot to make sure I got the right size replacement. Other than this the trunk has been bone dry.

I need to get a flashlight and shine it in and check the coolant level (I can't seem to see it without)

I know my coolant tank has been replaced relatively recently (a couple years?) I haven't found the box with my service records yet..
Old 04-17-2013, 11:07 AM   #5

I only seem to get the trail when I reverse out. I parked in the driveway earlier and when I drove off later there was no drips.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #6

Garage
Steve,
Is it central, or left or right of the car. If the washer fluid is up to yor max and you park on an incline, sometimes they dribble excess down the overflow- which is to the back of the washer fluid tank.

Mine did it and puzzled me until I realised it was coming from the front wheel well where the washer fluid reservoir is located.

That's why I asked- it only ever happened when I parked nose up.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #7

I believe the AC receiver/dryer is located in the front trunk beside the battery. Can't check because my car is still in hibernation.

It would probably drain on the drivers side somewhere near the front of the door area.

Last edited by brian325is; 04-17-2013 at 12:04 PM.
brian325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #8

It seems like it comes from the front wheels. Not sure what side. I am pulling into the garage so that when I go to church tonight I can try and see. Thank you everybody!
Old 04-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #9

If you notice this after a cold start it is the water in the exhaust dripping out before it can heat up and evaporate. there is usually a very small drain hole in most mufflers for this purpose. it takes only a few minutes for the exhaust to heat enough to evaporate the water produced by the combustion process.

Last edited by troop1; 04-17-2013 at 06:03 PM.
troop1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:50 AM   #10

You might see this after recently washing your car.

Make sure all your drains are free & clear:
Attached Images

Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
My coolant tank very consistently reads at just below the minimum. I added a few cups of distilled water some time back, and I think it immediately went back down to the previous mark.

There is some dampness at the left of back trunk...
mine was "damp" but it wasn't until i pulled the carpet and looked under it that i saw the coolant. it could be cracked higher up so that the leak stops when the level is low enough.

pull up the carpet to look at the metal underneath.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #12

The drains are clear (well the back ones for sure, I am not exactly sure how to check the front ones). It has been continuously garaged since the PPI before I bought it so it should be good.

I took out the rear trunk carpet and foam pads and it is dry as a bone. The dampness I mentioned before was only at the top layer of carpet on the left, I believe from something wet I put in there.

I backed out of my garage this morning and got a nice trail again. I verified that it does not start in the garage, only when I back down the slope after I exit the garage. It looks like it is coming from the front/right [Edit from this angle and seeing where the drips are in relation to the garage door it looks like front/driver side]. I have parked outside in a different place on a slight upslope to see if I can get a better look.

Here is a picture:

When I parked it last night I had been running the AC quite a bit so if this is condensation it could explain why it has increased since I moved to FL. The coolant is holding steady; if I was dropping coolant each time it seems like it would be going down.

I will report back the next time I start it with my son who can crawl around on the ground better than me

steve
Old 04-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #13

The AC evaporator drains from the passenger side of the car near the centerline around the gear shift area fore and aft.

On mine, when I park on a slight down slope, the water pools in the heating/AC box and drains when I back out of my space. This could also happen if one parks on a slight up slope. The condensate will drain when the car levels out.

PS: if its really isi from the front right, you likely have a leaking radiator hose or radiator. Can you tell if if coolant or water?

Last edited by thom4782; 04-18-2013 at 12:43 PM.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #14

Switch off your A/C a mile from home and then see if you have the water trail the next day.....
Old 04-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #15

Garage
I go back to my post. The washer fluid leaks from the overflow at the rear of the reservoir and drips from the front wheel well when parked on an icline. It certainly was my ' gremlin'.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #16

Definately condensation from the A/C. It must be dripping and pooling onto an underbody panel then running off once the car in on an incline. I wish I had your problem; its been snowing here for the past 5 hours so no need for the A/C!
copsahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #17

I just looked at this other picture from the other angle:

Right now I am parking with a slight angle to the right to clear some boxes so when I back up I am slightly going left.

It looks closer to the centerline from this angle.

It is probably the AC, with the amount it has been dumping and every other level staying the same. Or the muffler. I have never noticed it on a hot start vs a cold start.

Thank you everybody

Steve