Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #1

Garage
Who daily drives their 986?

I am in a bit of a dilemma. Got a new job, which provided a company car.. so now i have 3 cars, and a motorcycle at the house, with only room for 2. Ill never part with my MK3 VW golf, so that leaves the company Ford and my 986S. I can either sell the boxster, or, try to exchange the company car for some kind of compensation (mileage, fuel, etc.) while sucking up my pride and driving my P-car in the rain.

Has anyone been in a similar position? I want to hear other opinions, especially from someone who travels for work. PS i had some parts for sale, please accept my apologies for not being ready to part with anything yet

aclark133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #2

Not sure why you would prefer to keep your Mk3 Golf over the Boxster, but if that is the car you prefer for your weekend/fun wheels, then sell the Boxster. Regardless, if you are going to be racking up a ton if mileage for work purposes, an old Boxster is probably going to protest eventually!

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #3

Garage
@southernstar: the golf was my first car, i guess im too attached. had it 10 years and still going as good as the day i got it.

and my boxster is an 04, just had the clutch and LNE IMS retrofit done recently... plus if i could get $0.50/mile im sure i could have a decent reserve to keep her going
Old 04-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #4

the 986 is my DD. For those crying about rain, we have a top for a reason.
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
Carnut

DD for me, no problem!
Old 04-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #6

Understood - and it sounds as if you care a great deal for both cars (the LN upgrade and the comment about rain making that clear re: the Porsche). I guess it depends upon the amount and type of mileage that you will putting on. If it is primarily city stop and go with questionable parking lots, I suspect that you will hate watching the wear and tear (and parking lot knicks and dings) on one of your babies. Yes, 50 cents a mile will likely keep up with the additional mechanical maintenance (and likely your increased insurance rates if your annual mileage increases significantly), but the cosmetic wear and tear will be another matter.

In addition, your employer may be reluctant to allow you to use an older Porsche for employment purposes. Remember, they may be partly liable for damage/injury to third parties in the case of an accident in the course of your employment....

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #7

I buy a car to drive. The Boxster is my DD. Right now, I have to park it in a gravel lot. Not good, but I do it anyway. Not even going to mention all the bugs on the car or the paint chips, but there ya go. I'll either just fix it up as I go myself or get it repaired/repainted every so often. Or maybe I'll just buy another P-car, but regardless I still have way to much fun driving my car to form work to worry about it.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
recycledsixtie

Garage
I daily drive my Box snow depth permitting. I don't baby it and I will definitely hand wax it this year for the first time I have had it in two years. A few rock chips but no dings. If weather is really bad I use my wife's Camry. This car is meant to be driven and it is fun to drive. Most of everything else non Porsche is well....just plain vanilla.
I am retired so I can avoid rush hour traffic. Life is for living. Each one to their own....
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #9

Garage
I used to DD the Boxster, but the poor country roads took it's toll. I say keep them all. I purchased a new DD, we also have 3 cars and a Motorcycle. All get their legs stretched. If you like to drive the Porsche, take it on Fridays, enjoy it. Or your choice of the Mk3 or Boxster on a particular day of the week. As for me I drive the GLI daily, with Boxster getting out on the weekend and my Wednesday night guitar lesson. Now that the weather is warm, the Kawi is getting flogged with DD duties.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
Pup

My Boxster is driven daily from April to mid Dec.(1st snowfall). Then covered and kept in my heated barn.

I have a Subaru Outback AWD that gets driven the rest of the year. I can tell you getting out of the Sub and back in the Pcar, makes me some greatful that I do not drive the Sub year round... I call it "The freakin' School bus"...

BUT, It starts every single time I turn the key and will go any where that I point it.

Pup
2003 Mini Cooper, Triple Black, The Misses car
2007 Ducati GT1000 Sport Classic, 1 of 200
Pup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #11

Garage
I daily drive 42 miles each way to work four days a week, and anytime I need to go anywhere I drive the Boxter. Unless of course I have to take more than one other person.

Unless you only have parking for the two cars, why not just keep the company car in the driveway? At this point with 3 teenagers, I have 4 cars, two in the garage (you can guess one of them), and two in the driveway.

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstar View Post
Understood - and it sounds as if you care a great deal for both cars (the LN upgrade and the comment about rain making that clear re: the Porsche). I guess it depends upon the amount and type of mileage that you will putting on. If it is primarily city stop and go with questionable parking lots, I suspect that you will hate watching the wear and tear (and parking lot knicks and dings) on one of your babies. Yes, 50 cents a mile will likely keep up with the additional mechanical maintenance (and likely your increased insurance rates if your annual mileage increases significantly), but the cosmetic wear and tear will be another matter.

In addition, your employer may be reluctant to allow you to use an older Porsche for employment purposes. Remember, they may be partly liable for damage/injury to third parties in the case of an accident in the course of your employment....

Brad
This is what I was looking for. I primarily go to secluded areas, it's different every week. I'm a service and application engineer for a tool presetting company. Both cars have their share of little dings, especially the vw.

Maybe I will end up keeping all three and not tell the boss which car I drive, since the office is in Michigan and I'm not
Old 04-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #13

Garage
I daily drive my boxster, but have a very nice Audi Q5 as my "main car". As in, if I had to choose between keeping one or the other, I'd definitely choose the Q5. The boxster is nice to daily drive, yet I don't think I could live with it being my only car.
desert_porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #14

Subaru is the DD. I got too many dings at our office parking lot when I used to drive a 944 to the office. Plus the Subie can haul more people if we go out for lunch. I use the Boxster mostly at night or on weekends, its just easier that way.
Dino944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #15

I daily my '99 986 and track my miata.
it's comfortable, easy to get through traffic (thank jebus for dual mass clutches), and makes parking on base a breeze.

I only live about 21km's from work, but it's all stop and go except for the coronado bridge, so i don't get max fuel mileage, but it's not bad. probably the best part is taking it up the mountains on the weekends and chasing down miatas. s2k's, and mini's. good times.
cameronzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #16

I drive my 98 to work about 35 miles round trip, although in the Bay Area, that's a 1 - 2 hour commute. I'm hitting about 80k miles. I've got kids so it doesn't see much weekend driving.
No sense keeping something you don't drive unless...it's collectible (not yet) , you have lots room (you don't) , or you need a back-up car (you have the Volkswagon). I had the same problem, and sold off my Infiniti as it was just rotting parked in the sun as there was no more garage room, and I don't really need that many cars.
I'd sell the car, when you tire of the Volkswagon, you can always buy another Boxster, probably newer.
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #17

Garage
Mine's my daily car, 36 mile round trip to work. Only use the wife's Alero when the Boxster is laid up during the week.
Bryan topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrapmot View Post
I drive my 98 to work about 35 miles round trip, although in the Bay Area, that's a 1 - 2 hour commute. I'm hitting about 80k miles. I've got kids so it doesn't see much weekend driving.
No sense keeping something you don't drive unless...it's collectible (not yet) , you have lots room (you don't) , or you need a back-up car (you have the Volkswagon). I had the same problem, and sold off my Infiniti as it was just rotting parked in the sun as there was no more garage room, and I don't really need that many cars.
I'd sell the car, when you tire of the Volkswagon, you can always buy another Boxster, probably newer.
About the collectible part, it is the 2004 SE 550. #0296/1953
Old 04-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #19
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I don't DD the Boxster year-round, just not realistic when it can turn into a snowplow if it snows too much. But when the weather's nice, I drive it as often as I can, and I couldn't care less if it rains. My car's not that precious that I obsess over whether or not it gets wet or dirty. I bought it so I could drive it.

You could simply use the company car and save miles on your 550 (there aren't too many of them out there, so that's one that's at least worth keeping out of the rain and taking care of). You can adjust your insurance due to the limited miles you'd be putting on the Boxster, save some money there, and you could even take it off the insurance temporarily during the winter if you know you won't be taking it anywhere. And I'd say don't take it for work if you're risking bringing it to poorly/non-paved areas or secluded places in the middle of nowhere where a tow truck will take half the day to find you if something decides to act up far from home.

If you ask me, if there's any car that should get the doghouse treatment out of the stable, it's the company car. Considering you just got the Boxster not too long ago, give yourself some time to enjoy it before you consider selling it. Take it to Lime Rock and/or autocross with the PCA and get some enjoyment out of what it can do besides look gorgeous.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #20

I DD both my 914 and Boxster. 914 for when the weather is good and Boxster the rest of the year (i.e. Texas summer).

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote