Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 11:15 PM   #1

2003 2.7 into a 1999 2.7?

Would this engine fit fairly easily into my 99 2.7.

2003 PORSCHE BOXTER COMPLETE 2.7 ENGINE 59K CAN BE HEARD RUNNING | eBay

Thinking of buying it as a spare just in case something bad happens. It's only 45miles from me.

Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:11 AM   #2

I thought they didn't go to a 2.7 until 2000?
Skrapmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:20 AM   #3

They didnt. 99 is a 2.5
sam c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:50 AM   #4

Yes, but the OP is from Scotland and if I am not mistaken the model years there are based upon the calendar year. They started building the 2.7 in August 1999 and of course, released it in North America as the 2000 MY.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:32 AM   #5

Great point!
sam c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:45 AM   #6

I guess the question is whether you want to spend that much money for a spare engine as insurance! How long do you plan on keeping the car and what is your current mileage? The 2003 has some internal (and fuel injection?) changes to up the HP and torque, but I suspect it will fit. Whether the electronics (and connectors) are exactly the same, is another matter.

In addition, at 60,000 miles the engine is apt to have the same potential issues with respect to the water pump, air/oil separator etc. as your current engine. Furthermore, the IMS bearing will be a single-row, whereas your early 2.7 (1999 build) may have the much more reliable double-row bearing. You will need to check the engine serial number to make sure, but really, wouldn't you be better off saving the money and dealing with the issues that may arise?

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstar View Post
I guess the question is whether you want to spend that much money for a spare engine as insurance! How long do you plan on keeping the car and what is your current mileage? The 2003 has some internal (and fuel injection?) changes to up the HP and torque, but I suspect it will fit. Whether the electronics (and connectors) are exactly the same, is another matter.

In addition, at 60,000 miles the engine is apt to have the same potential issues with respect to the water pump, air/oil separator etc. as your current engine. Furthermore, the IMS bearing will be a single-row, whereas your early 2.7 (1999 build) may have the much more reliable double-row bearing. You will need to check the engine serial number to make sure, but really, wouldn't you be better off saving the money and dealing with the issues that may arise?

Brad
Fair point, it just seems a good price for a low mileage engine, (it's not unusual here). I was thinking of all the connections, wires/pipes etc, as that could be too much hassle if they were not the same, then there is the ECU, which one to use.
I might go and have a look at it (the car) and make a decision. Would be a good thing to do in the evenings, clean it up and replace a few of those dodgy parts.
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
Would this engine fit fairly easily into my 99 2.7.

2003 PORSCHE BOXTER COMPLETE 2.7 ENGINE 59K CAN BE HEARD RUNNING | eBay

Thinking of buying it as a spare just in case something bad happens. It's only 45miles from me.
This could be a challenge. The 2003 takes 7.8 DME version. This is the first year for 3 chain engine in the Boxster and it uses the vario-cam hydralic valve. Wiring may be different than the solenoid style in earlier style 5 chain motors. You may need the plugs for the 2003 and you may need to run wires back to the ECU module. Look at Pelicans Parts engine exchange How too.

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote