Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
I am my own mechanic....

Aftermarket source for headlight lense covers?

My car is from a desert climate. The lense covers are pitted. Someone tried a refinish but new would be best. Any thoughts on this?

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
When you find a low cost "good" replacement let us know. Be prepared to pay through the nose for a set as this is something many of us would like.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #3
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric G View Post
When you find a low cost "good" replacement let us know. Be prepared to pay through the nose for a set as this is something many of us would like.
Any ball parks on prices? It's a worthy investment.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #4

Try ebay, search on
"Headlight protective film" Cut to fit. Less than, $15 shipped.
leknus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #5

you can sand them down, call around there are people that due this for a living. I've done it on mine and its a lot of work, there is a very hard coating that most people just try using a cheap polishing kit they buy at local autoparts store,which does not get through the hard coat surface( or they don't use enough elbowgrease, it is VERY hard!). Once you have sanded through the hard coating 400g it will be very opaque and you will think you have ruined your lights. You will then wet sand various grains 800,1000,1500,2000 ect...until down to 3000. Then use a polishing compound.

Here is the kicker, the hard coating is the UV protectant that will need to be replaced or the light will yellow very quickly if you dont keep polishing them every week.

I used this product SEM Solaray

SEM Products :: Solaray UV Headlight Repair

I think there is even a youtube video demo out there if you search.
SEM does not recomend using a polishing compound so I stopped at 3000
This cures using a $300 UV lamp, but there is plenty of UV in sunlight to cure it. I just set mine in the sun for about 30 mins and all done.

This is a lot of work I would just call around, Here its about $60-100 to have your headlights done.

I use to offer this when doing my Black HID retrofitting but its just too much work so I leave the sanding to someone else.

There are not replacement lens available aside from buying a new light and chances are all used lights are pitted just the same as yours.
boxster7614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #6

I would love a new headlight cover, even if I have to bake the headlight and replace the lens myself. It's the only part of my car that bugs the crap out of me and ages the car. One of the first things I notice on a car it it's headlight clarity.
ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster7614 View Post
you can sand them down, call around there are people that due this for a living. I've done it on mine and its a lot of work, there is a very hard coating that most people just try using a cheap polishing kit they buy at local autoparts store,which does not get through the hard coat surface( or they don't use enough elbowgrease, it is VERY hard!). Once you have sanded through the hard coating 400g it will be very opaque and you will think you have ruined your lights. You will then wet sand various grains 800,1000,1500,2000 ect...until down to 3000. Then use a polishing compound.

Here is the kicker, the hard coating is the UV protectant that will need to be replaced or the light will yellow very quickly if you dont keep polishing them every week.

I used this product SEM Solaray

SEM Products :: Solaray UV Headlight Repair

I think there is even a youtube video demo out there if you search.
SEM does not recomend using a polishing compound so I stopped at 3000
This cures using a $300 UV lamp, but there is plenty of UV in sunlight to cure it. I just set mine in the sun for about 30 mins and all done.

This is a lot of work I would just call around, Here its about $60-100 to have your headlights done.

I use to offer this when doing my Black HID retrofitting but its just too much work so I leave the sanding to someone else.

There are not replacement lens available aside from buying a new light and chances are all used lights are pitted just the same as yours.
Everything you say is spot on with my past experience too. Still wishing for a headlight lens replacement even though one will never exist.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #8

Garage
ok you want to protect your headlights from abrasion damage and stone chips..

3M to the rescue...

ClearMask Automotive Paint Protection And Headlight Protection Film - Auto Clear Bra - Scotchgard Protector - Headlight Covers

also look up lamin-x they do tinted films as well. .. http://www.lamin-x.co.uk/gallery/subtletint.htm

JD may like the yellow tint for the danger mobile http://www.lamin-x.co.uk/gallery/yellow.htm

or if your car is blue.. the blue tint.. http://www.lamin-x.co.uk/gallery/opticblue.htm

or if you are in Texas.. gunsmoke.. http://www.lamin-x.co.uk/gallery/gunsmoke.htm
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK

Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 04-06-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I've thought about vacu-forming outer lenses...wouldn't be too tough to make a mold from an existing lens and give it a try...?
Old 04-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
ok you want to protect your headlights from abrasion damage and stone chips..

3M to the rescue...

ClearMask Automotive Paint Protection And Headlight Protection Film - Auto Clear Bra - Scotchgard Protector - Headlight Covers

also look up lamin-x they do tinted films as well. .. Lamin-X.co.uk pictures • Subtle tinted headlight protection film

JD may like the yellow tint for the danger mobile Lamin-X.co.uk pictures • Yellow tinted headlight protection film

or if your car is blue.. the blue tint.. Lamin-X.co.uk pictures • Blue tinted headlight protection film

or if you are in Texas.. gunsmoke.. Lamin-X.co.uk pictures • Gun smoked headlight protection film
These protectant films is good for new headlights that are not already damaged. Keep in mind many of our cars are 10 years old.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
I've thought about vacu-forming outer lenses...wouldn't be too tough to make a mold from an existing lens and give it a try...?
Put my on a list of purchaser, I'm sure you can get 10 pairs sold right away if you made this.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
These protectant films is good for new headlights that are not already damaged. Keep in mind many of our cars are 10 years old.
3M Head light Restoration Kit

"The 3M Headlight Restoration System is a fast and effective DIY solution for hazed or discoloured automotive headlights. The drill mounted system is fast and easy to use and much less costl...(more)"

http://www.lamin-x.co.uk/shop/restoration.htm

"Many modern vehicles utilise plastic headlamp lenses, and while being cheaper to manufacture they still suffer from deterioration through road debris and UV damage through lack of maintenance.

This can lead to a yellowed, hazy, frosted, scratched and aged look to the lens, and more importantly it can lead to poor lighting performance, especially in inclement weather conditions.

Our 3Mİ polishing and restoration kits include sanding pads, finishing pads, buffer and finishing polish to restore two large headlights. You may require two kits if your headlights are badly damaged. Just add a household drill, a water spray and a microfibre cloth to restore your faded and damaged plastic headlights to an 'as new' appearance.

Ideal for use before applying any of our light protection films whether clear or tinted."
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK

Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 04-06-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #13
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Ok, I may not have thought that through. Three major obstacles would be 1) the lip around the perimeter that seats into the housing, 2) the lower portion where the plastic makes a sharp angle to tuck under the turn signal, 3) the molded screw post under the turn signal which holds the brown metal piece.

Would be quite the challenge...you'd think Bosch or Porsche would have some leftovers lying around. They'd probably charge $400-500 each for them anyway
Old 04-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #14
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
3M Head light Restoration Kit

"The 3M Headlight Restoration System is a fast and effective DIY solution for hazed or discoloured automotive headlights. The drill mounted system is fast and easy to use and much less costl...(more)"

http://www.lamin-x.co.uk/shop/restoration.htm

"Many modern vehicles utilise plastic headlamp lenses, and while being cheaper to manufacture they still suffer from deterioration through road debris and UV damage through lack of maintenance.

This can lead to a yellowed, hazy, frosted, scratched and aged look to the lens, and more importantly it can lead to poor lighting performance, especially in inclement weather conditions.

Our 3Mİ polishing and restoration kits include sanding pads, finishing pads, buffer and finishing polish to restore two large headlights. You may require two kits if your headlights are badly damaged. Just add a household drill, a water spray and a microfibre cloth to restore your faded and damaged plastic headlights to an 'as new' appearance.

Ideal for use before applying any of our light protection films whether clear or tinted."
I used this today. It did finally get through the UV layer but one kit only did one lense effectively. It made a nice, polished finish but mine has some yellowing that apparently is on the inside. Litronics with clear signals. $950 per side!!!!!

I can't believe I can't buy the shell.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #15

FWIW, I already posted a thread on tis at http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/43385-headlight-restoration.html that might be of help. I recently purchased the additional 1000 & 3000 pads to work on my wife's headlights. It does take a LOT of work even with a good set of pneumatic tools.