Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
Goth Popper

Wink Considering getting a 911...

This one in particular. (Please don't bid, anyone here)
The only thing that bothers me is the gap between the doors and the fenders. Is that a huge mess up or commonplace for widebody modifications?

Old 03-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #2

Never seen that before, but it's certainly not factory flares so who knows if that's the way the kit is suppose to be or what. I've seen some really botched widebody jobs, it all comes down to how much people are willing to spend to do the job right, and skills of the people doing it. The 911 market is on the uptick, but with the above said I'd be leery about buying that car sight unseen without a proper PPI and leakdown test.
black_falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #3

No offense but a bit scary. I am not a huge fan of modified widebody cars especially fiberglass cars. I am not sure what your looking for or what your tastes are but this looks like a project car. There are not a lot of records and at this mileage the top end is probably going to need some work. the rear wheels do not even line up in the arches? The thing you have to realize about the rear modified with fiberglass fenders is that the metal arches below are probably butchered. Also that much fiberglass work on a targa is going to crack and separate. For a decent 3.2 carrera expect to spend from 17k-20k, and if you get one cheaper you will end up with 20k car in the end. That car looks as it is worth $9k

Last edited by amschnellsten; 03-23-2013 at 10:02 AM.
amschnellsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #4

IMHO, this is one of those cars you have to see in person, drive and have a PPI done on. You could easily be buys a huge headache. Or, it may be a great car and just what you want. I just don't think it is worth a gamble for that kind of money without some due diligence.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #5

If you want a coupe, Ill sell ya mine! It's not a widebody though, but remember the greatest aircooled porsche was not a widebody.............. $17k you can have mine, fikse wheels, new suspension, low mileage interior, B&B full stainless exhaust with heat exchangers, and a rebuilt trans..
Old 03-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
Goth Popper

Thank you all for convincing me to steer clear of this car.
Nice ride amschnellsten, I'm a little short right now though. What year is it?
Old 03-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #7

it's an 84 with 120k. I looked at the photos some more and that car is pretty ratty. You can tell from the pics that there has been some water damage from the targa top. If you look at the reflections on the rear arches you can see some serious distortion where they have not been blended very well. Keep looking and you will find the right car. If you are looking for a widebody try and look for a steel fendered car unless you want an all out race car or a track car. Good luck!
Old 03-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #8

Boxcutter, I bid on it and won!! ( just kidding)

heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote