Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt V View Post
+1. I like knowing I have the skill to drive a manual. A skill that fewer and fewer people have.
I always meet women who say "I want the automatic/PDF because I don't know how to drive a stick". Or maybe guys are afraid to say this and women aren't.
Some guys won't even try to teach them, or like a famous basketball player who bought his wife a Lamborghini and then paid nearly double to have it made into an automatic.
Either way my response to them is "guys like women who can shift their own gears. There are pages and pages of YouTube videos of it".

And in foreign countries I've visited women learn how to drive manual early on.
But for some reason it's seen as some special talent here.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #62

nothing beats the satisfaction of a perfectly matched heal & toe downshift under heavy braking into a corner. if i'm driving to drive, give me a manual.

if i'm racing to win? PDK. it's amazing.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos View Post
Has the hubby considered a horse? A horse would really put him in far more control that a manual automobile. From what I understand, it is a more purist form of racing, too.You really have to concentrate more and a horse can go off-road, jump across streams, etc. From what read... I think it's called "Horseback riding", you use both legs, both arms, and it's cheaper on gasoline than a manual. There's also some big race in that state where fried chicken comes from*. Although, being a purist, it will be difficult to get the bose sound system that plays vinyl on horseback.
True, but hubby would object to it only being one horsepower.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
I always meet women who say "I want the automatic/PDF because I don't know how to drive a stick". Or maybe guys are afraid to say this and women aren't.
Some guys won't even try to teach them, or like a famous basketball player who bought his wife a Lamborghini and then paid nearly double to have it made into an automatic.
Either way my response to them is "guys like women who can shift their own gears. There are pages and pages of YouTube videos of it".

And in foreign countries I've visited women learn how to drive manual early on.
But for some reason it's seen as some special talent here.
I drove a stick for 6 years, so it's no mystery to me.

But honestly, I think a lot of men try to keep this info to themselves. It's like women and sewing; very few men know how to sew even though it's really easy.

I also think a lot of women do NOT want to learn. When I'm at the PCA meetings, the women look at me like there's something wrong when I say I drive my own Porsche. I urge them to "try it, it's fun!" and they get scared looking. It's really kinda weird I think when it comes right down to it, the majority of people are more comfortable in traditional, old-fashioned roles.

Last edited by Porsche Chick; 03-28-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Porsche Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #65
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Hey I like sewing! It turns the chicks on.

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote