Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
jakesbox

Cost - Wouldnt it be nice

Going to pick up my boxster this afternoon. IMS, AOS, Oil Filler tube, Throw Out bearing, fresh oil and filter and shake down run - $2500.

on the flip side I just picked up my 07 daily driver Honda Accord. Had to resurface front rotors, new brake pads, alignment, oil change and filter, rotate and balance tires. Shake down run as well. $240

Wouldnt it be great if ouor P cars were that cheap to work on!

Update on the IMS - said the old one looked good, no obvious signs of any issues. Glad I had it done. Now I just hope it gets all put back together and has no issues. Sounds strange but I hate to have things fixed on my car...there is always that chance that the mechanic got sidelined and forgot something...maybe didnt tighten something all the way, didnt put a seal in properly, etc etc. I am always checking under my cars after an oil change for sure. I think I will be a wreck for a week or so until I know everything is all good. Sad thing is - I trust this shop with my car 150%...human factors though...

2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #2

two words: Miata.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
two words: Miata.
2 words: Ab So Lute Ly Not
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
Old 08-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #4

L:QUOTE=trimer;356169]Going to pick up my boxster this afternoon. IMS, AOS, Oil Filler tube, Throw Out bearing, fresh oil and filter and shake down run - $2500.

on the flip side I just picked up my 07 daily driver Honda Accord. Had to resurface front rotors, new brake pads, alignment, oil change and filter, rotate and balance tires. Shake down run as well. $240

Wouldnt it be great if ouor P cars were that cheap to work on!

Update on the IMS - said the old one looked good, no obvious signs of any issues. Glad I had it done. Now I just hope it gets all put back together and has no issues. Sounds strange but I hate to have things fixed on my car...there is always that chance that the mechanic got sidelined and forgot something...maybe didnt tighten something all the way, didnt put a seal in properly, etc etc. I am always checking under my cars after an oil change for sure. I think I will be a wreck for a week or so until I know everything is all good. Sad thing is - I trust this shop with my car 150%...human factors though...[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear it all went well! The mech. forgot to tighten ALL the bolts on my clutch/IMS job and I had to redo the job myself! If all was done right, I think you got EXCELLENT value. The 'book' says something like 8-10 hrs. for the clutch and prob. 2 for the brake work. Be at peace Trimer.
Oh, I forgot-- he BENT MY VALVES doing the IMS RR!!!:troll:

Last edited by woodsman; 08-08-2013 at 01:24 PM.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
2 words: Ab So Lute Ly Not

The funny thing is that if you did nothing but visit track days and autocross events where ever one was being held, from Watkins Glen to Laguna Seca, the car that is without a doubt the one you are most likely to see raced at everyone of those events is the little Miata.

The NA/NB Miatas are by far the best combination of nimble, light weight, inexepnsive, with a responsive throttle, just enough power to learn how to drive for real without so much power that a newbie ends up in the trees, and insanely inexpensive to upgrade for best performance. The engine is near bullet proof and makes a terrific sound. The gear box is perfectly suited for constant shifting.

I should have had my head examined for selling my triple black Miata with BBS RK wheels. You will never learn more about high performance driving without spending so little. Given that most Porsches only see the odd burn out in the Starbucks parking lot because the driver was distracted by his pannini falling to the floorboard, it's really the most backward car culture thing I can think of.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #6

been daydreaming about a Miata with a rx8 renesis engine. you can get a motor for under $2k. bellhousing bolts right up. 280 easy hp in a 2300 lb car. most miatas have torsen rear ends ($3.5k touch in a boxster). wanna be competitive at the track? the engine is only 1.3 litres so you'll be classed with all the other under 2L cars, even with wankel/rotary displacement modifiers (rules vary, of course).

Last edited by The Radium King; 08-07-2013 at 01:28 PM. Reason: forgot to mention the 10k rpm redline ...
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #7

I always let the Miata boys pass me so I can follow their line and learn something about driving.

I should have bought a Miata. I would have a lot more money right now, that's for sure!

Trimer, count your blessings. I've had my car at an indy mechanic and the labor bill alone (I supplied parts) was north of $4000!

I don't call my car "the black hole for dead presidents" for nothing!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
jakesbox

Quote:
The funny thing is that if you did nothing but visit track days and autocross events where ever one was being held, from Watkins Glen to Laguna Seca, the car that is without a doubt the one you are most likely to see raced at everyone of those events is the little Miata.

The NA/NB Miatas are by far the best combination of nimble, light weight, inexepnsive, with a responsive throttle, just enough power to learn how to drive for real without so much power that a newbie ends up in the trees, and insanely inexpensive to upgrade for best performance. The engine is near bullet proof and makes a terrific sound. The gear box is perfectly suited for constant shifting.

I should have had my head examined for selling my triple black Miata with BBS RK wheels. You will never learn more about high performance driving without spending so little. Given that most Porsches only see the odd burn out in the Starbucks parking lot because the driver was distracted by his pannini falling to the floorboard, it's really the most backward car culture thing I can think of.
Let me clarify something. I have owned two red miatas. One was a 1990 and the other a 1991. Picked my wife up on our first date in one that had 100000 miles on it. We bought a second ine when i sold my first company. That was in 1997 and it was the 91 with 12,000 miles on it. Perfect car. Really fun. My wife said it looked like a tic tac. I have owned two but will never see a third. I am not knocking them at all....
Old 08-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #9
jakesbox

Ps the car ran great on the way home. I am blessed the last owner was willing to go half after he sold me the car. I am out of pocket with aos new filler tube, throw out bearing, oil and filter and a thorough scan on the car about 1300! I will now drive it like i stole it!
Old 08-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #10

Quote:
You are absolutely correct - I bought a very early 1989 MX-5 (chassis # 1165) which was the best bang for the buck of any vehicle I've ever owned. It even had the notorious short nose crank, but it never gave any problem.......

After fitting Ohlins shocks with Eibach springs coupled to Michelin Pilot tyres on lightweight 15" wheels, very few cars can get past you in the twisties. Day in, day out the thing never let me down - 110% reliable.
I wish I had never sold it but I just hadn't the space for 4 cars and a motorcycle .......
Old 08-08-2013, 03:43 AM   #11

You are comparing 2 different cars designed to do different things with years apart in ownership. You are also adding preventative work replacing what turned out to be a part that was OK (I get the reasoning). But apples and oranges. You are also getting very skilled mechanical work done on the P-car versus novice work done on the Honda.

I owned a Honda CRV (new) and a Boxster (third owner) of about the same model year for about a 5 year period and the Honda was by far the worst in cost and repair frequency.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:06 AM   #12
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
You are comparing 2 different cars designed to do different things with years apart in ownership. You are also adding preventative work replacing what turned out to be a part that was OK (I get the reasoning). But apples and oranges. You are also getting very skilled mechanical work done on the P-car versus novice work done on the Honda.

I owned a Honda CRV (new) and a Boxster (third owner) of about the same model year for about a 5 year period and the Honda was by far the worst in cost and repair frequency.
Mike just trying to have a little fun brother... Ok let's do this then. Resurface rotors, new brake pads, labor, rotate tires etc on your P car then...compared to the Honda....I promise there is still over a grand savings! Just tryin to have some fun here...geesh
Old 08-08-2013, 05:28 AM   #13
recycledsixtie

Garage
Okay somewhat deviating off topic here but say you had $18k to spend here.
You could get a used NC Miata with power hardtop or a good base Boxster or higher mileage Boxster S. If you overlook repair costs right out of the Box(pardon the pun) you have a higher horsepower car with the Boxster although we know that the Miata can be modded cheaply.

I used to have a '99 Miata and it used to get no respect. The Boxster to the public is more respected. However doing a burnout in my Boxster results in a clutch burning smell so I feel that I cannot abuse my Box too much. Too much abuse in my Box = big $$$. I still love the Miata and if my wife did not limit my number of cars I would still have a Miata and a Boxster. However I chose the Boxster and have no regrets buying it but I know service costs are and will be more....
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #14

If you must own both

Old 08-08-2013, 07:12 AM   #15
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post
Okay somewhat deviating off topic here but say you had $18k to spend here.
You could get a used NC Miata with power hardtop or a good base Boxster or higher mileage Boxster S. If you overlook repair costs right out of the Box(pardon the pun) you have a higher horsepower car with the Boxster although we know that the Miata can be modded cheaply.

I used to have a '99 Miata and it used to get no respect. The Boxster to the public is more respected. However doing a burnout in my Boxster results in a clutch burning smell so I feel that I cannot abuse my Box too much. Too much abuse in my Box = big $$$. I still love the Miata and if my wife did not limit my number of cars I would still have a Miata and a Boxster. However I chose the Boxster and have no regrets buying it but I know service costs are and will be more....
I am not big on labels, but to me, having had them both and at the point in my life where I can afford a Porsche, that is what I go with all day long. I just think it is a bigger better built and more powerful car. I would agree that to mod a miata and track it - all day long. if you blow that thing up it isnt going to run you 20K for a new motor. But for everyday cruising, Boxster all the way. I - and ONLY MY OPINION - do not like the look of the Miata. I did when they came out back in the early 90s but Porsche didnt have the box back then so it was a great little roadster to have and very cheap to maintain. but the look of the miata just does not do it for me anymore. I love the wide tires on our cars, the center exit exhaust, the bigger motor and it just feels more solid than anything I have driven. ask me how I feel though if I ever do blow up this motor!!!
Old 08-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #16

My miata (NB) was a lot smaller and more cramped than the Box. I was parked next to one the other day, and the Porsche looks quite a bit wider and taller. The miata was on 17s and rubber band tires, while I still have some meat left on 18s. People were constantly cutting me off by accident, and not seeing the car, and it was red. The Boxster has not had problems like that on the road. Plus, the miata's A/C was too weak to keep up with 100+ temps we deal with here for months.
Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:09 AM   #17

Yeah the Miata is not the safest daily driver with the huge spike in distracted driving today.
Especially those with track roll bars. Don't want to get rear ended with one of those knocking you in the back of the head.