Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #1

Garage
cowl panel covering color

For the 2003 model year, was the cowl panel covering originally flat black or was it a 'mock silver' color like it is now?

See part - 996 572 563 02
Porsche Boxster Particle Filter Parts

Old 03-13-2013, 03:13 AM   #2
Need For Speed

Garage
The one on my 03 Box S is black.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:04 AM   #3

Mine's black too.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:40 AM   #4

cowl model

Dan - I have an '01 not an '03 so cannot answer based on my car. But the referred website shows the part number ending in -06 (not -02) for model year '01 and forward, and notes the color as black. I think the cowl screw covers changed from round to trapezoidal with the model number change in '01, maybe some other minor changes. But this plastic part is highly exposed to UV degradation, and since I'm in this car for the long haul, I actually thought about painting it for protection. If one was to paint it, it could be any color desired - body color, mock silver, gloss or flat black, etc.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:59 AM   #5

I was able to restore my badly faded cowl using a product called Forever Black Bumper & Trim Dye. It also did a good job on those triangular mirror mount pieces.

It might take a couple of applications to get even coverage, but it does work really well.

Another product, Mother's Back to Black, works well too but is not permanent and needs to be re-applied from time to time. I use this on my bumper guards and the wheel trim.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #6

Garage
I believe it WAS black at some point. It looks overall weathered.

I appreciate the suggestions. I'll either see about replacing it, or find a way to permanently get it back to black. I don't care for the looks of some of the temporary treatments--uneven or slick.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #7

Garage
My cowl was badly faded & after checking what Porsche wants for a new one I took it off & repainted it matte black. A year now & it still looks good.
Bryan topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #8

My cowl on my 2000 Box was/is black and now badly faded.I plan to clean mine very well and use KRYLON FUSION rattle can spray paint.It dries in 15 minutes and it produces a durable semi gloss smooth finish.It's made for plastic such as outdoor plastic pool and patio furniture.

I have used it with great results on my 97 Jeep Wrangler.

No sanding or priming is necessary as it bonds to the plastic.The directions say the best results are between 50 and 90 degrees and humidity below 85%. All the hardware stores sell it.I use color 2421 SATIN BLACK.

By the way, I was at my local Benz dealership and the 2013 big Benz's have this same poor quality cowling at the base of their windshield on their $100,000 cars.I'm sick of the cheap junk the auto manufacturer's are dishing out when it comes to trim!
litespeedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by litespeedp View Post
My cowl on my 2000 Box was/is black and now badly faded.I plan to clean mine very well and use KRYLON FUSION rattle can spray paint.It dries in 15 minutes and it produces a durable semi gloss smooth finish.It's made for plastic such as outdoor plastic pool and patio furniture.

I have used it with great results on my 97 Jeep Wrangler.

No sanding or priming is necessary as it bonds to the plastic.The directions say the best results are between 50 and 90 degrees and humidity below 85%. All the hardware stores sell it.I use color 2421 SATIN BLACK.

By the way, I was at my local Benz dealership and the 2013 big Benz's have this same poor quality cowling at the base of their windshield on their $100,000 cars.I'm sick of the cheap junk the auto manufacturer's are dishing out when it comes to trim!
That's funny. I did the exact same thing, thinking that in the worst case I'll replace it.
Came out exelant. Used the prep spry before painting, and gave it 4 coats.
Need to see if I have before picture, and I'll post it.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:32 AM   #10

Looking forward to your posted pic of your cowl Meir.The hard part will be figuring out how to remove the part! Ha.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:31 AM   #11
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by litespeedp View Post
Looking forward to your posted pic of your cowl Meir.The hard part will be figuring out how to remove the part! Ha.
Not at all.
The reason I painted it to begine with, was because I already had it in my hand, when I fixed my AC evaporator leak.
I have the procedure ducumented.
I'll post a link later today.
Coming to think of it, I should have a before picture right there
Old 03-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #12
1999 base

Garage
OK this is the pics for the spry i used.

this is the link that shows how to remove the panel:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hxb4w0y3incjrcc/step%201%20heater%20core%20removal.pdf

thats the after pic.

looks much better in person.... and yes, the car wash guy, just picked it up
Old 03-14-2013, 09:00 AM   #13
1999 base

Garage
and when you remove the rubber seal, pay attention how it came off.
its a little bit tricky to put it back on if you don't remember the correct angle.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #14

Great, will give this a shot this weekend as we are supposed to have good weather.